Possible New Hobby International Terminal

ssb

Possible New Hobby International Terminal

Southwest Airlines has proposed to City of Houston

to spend around 100 million to build a new international terminal

with full scale Customs facility at Hobby Airport to handle international flights.

Southwest is presently the largest US carrier

in domestic passengers boarded.

War between United, Southwest looms over Houston

Yuk, I hate southwest airlines, it's the dollar store of airlines. No Thanks:mad:

Well, depends on what you are comparing it to. We have a few airports around us and I will take SWA almost everytime...it just seems to be one of those airlines I don't have problems with. Our friends always take Spirit...that you can keep!

Interesting. I think United's claims are lame considering I don't think SWA doesn't have any planes capable of, or rated for, overseas flight. The competition would be for Mexico and the Caribbean.

Yes they do, since their acquisition of AirTran they are flying all over the Caribbean, all of their new 737s are rated for overseas flights.

Very exciting isn't it?! Hobby is a wonderful airport and I will be very excited to see her expanded. I certainly would like the opportunity to be able to fly internationally for Southwest.

Interesting. I think United's claims are lame considering I don't think SWA doesn't have any planes capable of, or rated for, overseas flight. The competition would be for Mexico and the Caribbean.

Our first 737-800 is in flight testing currently and is scheduled to start flying in April. It also has a range of 3,060 NM. Which can reach Hawaii ;). Also like someone else said, with the acquisition of AirTran we are keeping all of their international destinations and airplanes (can't wait to see a 717 in Southwest livery). Like the article suggests, it would create competition between United's generally higher fares and our generally lower fares. And thank you for flying with us.

Very disappointed in WN for leaving so many airports that Airtran served successfully. Their labor contracts do not allow for the out sourcing of services so they are leaving us in June. So I will not be flying WN. I have made the journey to Pittsburgh to fly JetBlue and loved them. Wish they would pick up the route to MCO that we are losing. At least we still have US AA UA DL and Spirit. (And I have been successful on Priceline for naming my own flights and having United take my offer.)

Interesting. I remember back in the 80s there was a no-frills airline that used to fly to London from Hobby but can't recall the name. Would be nice if this goes through as I'm only ten minutes south of the airport. Even if they only fly to Mexico or the Caribbean it would be another vacation option.

Yuk, I hate southwest airlines, it's the dollar store of airlines. No Thanks:mad:

I certainly do not agree with you. But everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I respect that. I love the company I work for. They don't treat us employees like a number on a sheet, like most of the other airlines do. They have realized that happy employees, leads to happy costumers. I took a huge risk when I became a pilot for Southwest. Southwest was still relatively small when I started there. I got a job offer from them, American, and Delta. I am so glad I took the job at Southwest. I have friends who are pilots at the legacy airlines and they are struggling to pay their bills. They have all been furloughed at least once. I have not. They worry if they are going to be furloughed again, have their salary cut, have a pension when they retire. I don't. Heck, American failed to pay $91 million of the $96 million they owed to their pensioners last month. The PBGC had to step in and put leans on the airlines assets in South America (not effected by the bankruptcy proceedings). They are trying to use the bankruptcy to give the execs bigger salaries and bonuses. Now you have the government stepping in and telling AA "no." You have Captain Sully testifying to Congress about what horror the legacy airlines have turned into. We actually appreciate the money you pay, rather than having most of it go to corporate salaries and bonuses. Southwest has been good to me and pretty much every other employee. You may not like them for whatever reason, and again, you're entitled to that opinion, but I love them. Even in this crazy world of no liquids, take your shoes off, baggage size limits, and cost cutting, someone in the airline industry still has your, the passenger's, back. For every flight on every airline, your experience starts when you check in, and ends when you step out of the airplane. But along the way, we prove to you that we're not just taking your money and going from point A to point B, we're taking you there with LUV, costumer service and professionalism.

As an A-List member and flyer on SWA at least once a week I can say it has changed the way I do business. Arrival at the airport parking lot at Hobby, clearing security, and arriving at the gate in all less than 30 minutes is the norm, regardless of day of travel or time is great!

With the exception of Chicago Midway almost all my departures are on time or close and I can avoid the cost of flying in the night before for my business on short trips. Simply put, they have reinvented the travel model.

Some don't like the non-assigned seats, but the time spent loading and time agents spent on reservations was much less. Now I can reserve, check-in and change my flight from my iPhone while sitting at the breakfast table.

I learned something about the 737 series aircraft and international travel ranges reading this thread. I'd assume they would be interested in Mexico and the Caribbean routes, so hello to all-inclusive resorts we have looked at in the past!

United just sucks. Look at the reports of delays from IAH on the past three weeks and we miss Continental.

Continental had a cozy relationship with Houston city officials in the past, let's see if they budge on this one.

See you at sea.

Very disappointed in WN for leaving so many airports that Airtran served successfully. Their labor contracts do not allow for the out sourcing of services so they are leaving us in June. So I will not be flying WN. I have made the journey to Pittsburgh to fly JetBlue and loved them. Wish they would pick up the route to MCO that we are losing. At least we still have US AA UA DL and Spirit. (And I have been successful on Priceline for naming my own flights and having United take my offer.)

What airport? Harrisburg? Allentown? Unless something has happened, we still fly nonstop to Orlando from PIT (among other places). The only thing they've cut recently (this past June I believe) were the Pittsburg to Philly flights. But yes it is the labor contracts that is causing a majority of these cuts. Southwest won't continue to service AirTran's flights to White Plains, NY for the same reason. Mainly because they wouldn't have enough room to be able to store Southwest's equipment (tugs, baggage carts, etc.). But I hear they will try to work out a deal in the coming years with the unions to, hopefully, begin service again to these airports. But the fact they have to do this is sad and I sympathize. I have a good friend from college that loves in Harrisburg, and when I first heard about the merger I was excited that we would be able to see him and his family via Southwest. But sadly that won't be happening. We'll just have to continue what we do now and just go skiing with them every year.

To the OP: Sorry for the hijack on these couple of posts.

What airport? Harrisburg? Allentown? Unless something has happened, we still fly nonstop to Orlando from PIT (among other places). The only thing they've cut recently (this past June I believe) were the Pittsburg to Philly flights. But yes it is the labor contracts that is causing a majority of these cuts. Southwest won't continue to service AirTran's flights to White Plains, NY for the same reason. Mainly because they wouldn't have enough room to be able to store Southwest's equipment (tugs, baggage carts, etc.). But I hear they will try to work out a deal in the coming years with the unions to, hopefully, begin service again to these airports. But the fact they have to do this is sad and I sympathize. I have a good friend from college that loves in Harrisburg, and when I first heard about the merger I was excited that we would be able to see him and his family via Southwest. But sadly that won't be happening. We'll just have to continue what we do now and just go skiing with them every year.

To the OP: Sorry for the hijack on these couple of posts.

Charleston WV. The county purchased new ground handling equipment for Airtran, waived fees and rent the first year, even supplied the staff so Airtran would have little overhead, flight did/has done great for 2 years. They did the same for Spirit as well with service to FLL and MYR seasonal service starts again May 3rd. The closest non stop to MCO for us is Allegiant from HTS, not a fan of theirs either. Sorry just hate it that we will be down to CRJS and Dash 8's again.

Charleston WV. The county purchased new ground handling equipment for Airtran, waived fees and rent the first year, even supplied the staff so Airtran would have little overhead, flight did/has done great for 2 years. They did the same for Spirit as well with service to FLL and MYR seasonal service starts again May 3rd. The closest non stop to MCO for us is Allegiant from HTS, not a fan of theirs either. Sorry just hate it that we will be down to CRJS and Dash 8's again.

Yea, that does kind of suck. Dash 8's and RJ's aren't my favorite either. But Spirit has A319's. But I feel your pain. Hopefully we'll return. Because I really love West Virginia. And I hope if Southwest does return, that they'll do it the way they do it now with three flights weekly. Which would mean some time in your beautiful state.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Living in Houston ( a United fortress hub) I can say that Southwest is not always the cheapest. Booking far enough out and mid week United and American are usually just as cheap as WN.

Not a big fan of Hobby either, always just seems like a dump to me. Not that Terminal A at IAH is a treat, but at least Terminal C seems a little more modern. Plus the complete refurb of Terminal B which is ongoing.

The whole Southwest fandom reminds me of the Apple fan boys. If you say anything bad about their products they get their shorts all in a twist. Southwest is fine for some, but not for others (me).

Living in Houston ( a United fortress hub) I can say that Southwest is not always the cheapest. Booking far enough out and mid week United and American are usually just as cheap as WN.

Not a big fan of Hobby either, always just seems like a dump to me. Not that Terminal A at IAH is a treat, but at least Terminal C seems a little more modern. Plus the complete refurb of Terminal B which is ongoing.

The whole Southwest fandom reminds me of the Apple fan boys. If you say anything bad about their products they get their shorts all in a twist. Southwest is fine for some, but not for others (me).

I just don't see the low SW fares that others seem to get. I was pricing fares for an upcoming trip, and even their "web specials" are pretty steep. I changed days, changed times, tried different airports in my destination city, did everything I could and still couldn't get a good deal. I live close to Hobby but fly more out of IAH just because I can get a better deal on flights on airlines that don't fly out of Hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

I dread the thought of Hobby expanding. I live 20 minutes south of the airport; there is enough air traffic as it is. Plus we live just a few miles west of Ellington. Oh my...it gets really loud.

Leave IAH as the international airport; Houston doesn't need 2. JMHO :)

When Hobby and Ellington were built, there were no subdivisions. When IAH was built, there were no subdivisions.

It is obvious that people want to live near an airport as subdivisions spring up as soon as an airport opens.

I have never understood why people buy a home near an airport then complain about the noise.

The sweetest sound after 9/11 was the sound of planes landing and taking off again. Those eerie days with nothing but F16's flying I hope are in the past.

I live just a few miles South of Hobby directly in the flight path. Can't even count the number of planes that go over each day but don't even really notice it as I've lived here so long that I'm used to it.

I dread the thought of Hobby expanding. I live 20 minutes south of the airport; there is enough air traffic as it is. Plus we live just a few miles west of Ellington. Oh my...it gets really loud.

Leave IAH as the international airport; Houston doesn't need 2. JMHO :)

First, you live in Friendswood, and FAA charts show your area for above 5000 feet of flight pattern for commercial aircraft in the Hobby airspace.

Second, the prevalent wind in all but true northern fronts comes from the southeast, and Hobby uses runway 12 Right as the most used runway. Approach for that is over Texas Medical Center, along 610 and almost right down Telephone Road. The runway starts at the corner of Airport Blvd and Telephone. Winter weather sometimes means runway 30 Left (same one, just the other way) and that approach is over Almeda Mall, not close to your area.

The traffic you do hear comes from runway 17 and Ellington Field, they stay below 5000 ft for a while to clear Hobby traffic. I live off Space Center and hear that.

Finally, Hobby isn't and cannot expand, they are landlocked.

Sustainability and cheaper fares are in store for all of us.

Archived