comfortable shoes for formal night

NoobCruise

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to put my formal wear together. We're sailing on HAL, and it sounds like they enforce the dress code a little more on formal night then some of the other lines. I usually absolutely hate dressing up in formal wear, but I'm realizing, for me, it's really more about the shoes. While I love cute high heels, they don't love me. I have surgical screws in both feet, a knee reconstruction, and a spinal fusion (and need a 2nd one). I usually do the heels and end up miserable and in pain the entire night and for several days after. I want to comply with the dress code, but I need comfie shoes to go with my dress. This is my dress. Do you think some dressier black flats/ ballet slippers would go ok or would they dress it down too much?

0319121541-00.jpg.c5184f514dedcd54cf3ee397d6be83eb.jpg

Black flats would be fine. Ballet slippers would be fine, too, but the softness of the leather will NOT protect your toes should someone accidentally step on your foot, y'know?

I cruise HAL, and one formal night wore Merrell hiking sandals to the MDR, 'cuz that was the only pair of shoes I could walk in that night :) I don't make a habit of that ;) but would do it again if needed.

Wear what's comfortable! There's A LOT of walking, just to get to the dining room! Ships are big!

No one will be looking at your shoes...and if they do, they really don't care! Wear what makes your tootsies and body happy!

After booking that TA, I just remember those formal nights

since I broke my right foot twice in the last 18 months and didn't recover well, buying shoes is a nightmare.

5 foot 2 with long dress, wearing flats is not that great

I would hope that people who would notcie you are wearing comfortable, supportive shoes on formal night and not classic high heels and strappy sandals would instinctively understand that you have a darned good reason for wearing such a shoes. I, for one, would certainly understand, being as I have issues with my feet, knees and hips too.

I would hope that people who would notcie you are wearing comfortable, supportive shoes on formal night and not classic high heels and strappy sandals would instinctively understand that you have a darned good reason for wearing such a shoes. I, for one, would certainly understand, being as I have issues with my feet, knees and hips too.

I agree :) I usually don't even notice what others are wearing. Formal wear is a pretty contentious topic over on the HAL board and there are definitely a lot of people who look down their noses if people aren't dressed to their standards lol Somehow, if someone doesn't dress "right", it "ruins the experience" for others lol Eh I'll dress up, but I'm going to be comfortable too. If they don't like my shoes, well, too bad lol

Noob, I think either one is fine! Gosh, right now there are so many "fancy" flats and they are so popular now. unfortunately as much as I want to wear them...I can't! :)

I really like the sparkly ones you picked out.

I have seen some lovely ballet flats in the shops that would be just fine. Lots of choice as ballet flats are very "in" right now. I have seen black patent, metallic finishes in gold, silver and bronze, glitter ballet flats.

Formal wear is a pretty contentious topic over on the HAL board and there are definitely a lot of people who look down their noses if people aren't dressed to their standards lol

As always, the cruise ship is different from Cruise Critic:p I've been on 3 HAL cruises, we love HAL (like the older/smaller ships) and yes, people dress for formal night. But they're not obnoxious about it. It's not like 100% of men are wearing tuxedos and the ladies are wearing ball gowns :rolleyes: They aren't going to care about your shoes.

I wear ballet flats sometimes but don't find them supportive enough for me - not the cheap light ones at least. But regardless of my feet issues:eek: if you find a pair that are comfortable for your issues, you'll be happy and that's what matters!

If you decide to go with ballet flats, be sure to walk around the store several times. The pair I bought were some of the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn, and I didn't realize until after I wore them to work one day.

As always, the cruise ship is different from Cruise Critic:p I've been on 3 HAL cruises, we love HAL (like the older/smaller ships) and yes, people dress for formal night. But they're not obnoxious about it. It's not like 100% of men are wearing tuxedos and the ladies are wearing ball gowns :rolleyes: They aren't going to care about your shoes.

I wear ballet flats sometimes but don't find them supportive enough for me - not the cheap light ones at least. But regardless of my feet issues:eek: if you find a pair that are comfortable for your issues, you'll be happy and that's what matters!

I'm very happy to hear your experiences on HAL were good :) When I first started reading the HAL threads on formal wear, it made me a little apprehensive. But the more I read the more I realized it sounds like just a few individuals.

As for the flats, I'm definitely going to look for a softer material, maybe a soft leather. I don't want to rub blisters or anything. My problems usually stem more from heel height as it throws my body weight off putting more stress on my back and knees and of course focuses my weight on the balls of my feet. The balls of my feet usually start swelling. Support usually isn't an issue for me if they're flat.

Ladies,

I really have enjoyed looking at all your wonderful & beautiful & lovely cruise dresses!

I just bought this skirt and not sure what type of top to buy. Maybe someone can give me some ideas?

It is about knee length, solid black, with a thick elastic band...not sure if you can tell in picture.

Thanks in advance for any help!

25cf61b1.jpg

OP, have you looked at Born shoes? I have these in 2 different colors and as you can see, they have nice support which most of the ballet flats don't. They are very comfortable. I got mine at Maxx for $35.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOC-BORN-CONCEPT-LADY-GOLD-FLAT-WOMEN-SHOES-SIZE-6-5-/170807220400?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes&hash=item27c4e758b0

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to put my formal wear together. We're sailing on HAL, and it sounds like they enforce the dress code a little more on formal night then some of the other lines. I usually absolutely hate dressing up in formal wear, but I'm realizing, for me, it's really more about the shoes. While I love cute high heels, they don't love me. I have surgical screws in both feet, a knee reconstruction, and a spinal fusion (and need a 2nd one). I usually do the heels and end up miserable and in pain the entire night and for several days after. I want to comply with the dress code, but I need comfie shoes to go with my dress. This is my dress. Do you think some dressier black flats/ ballet slippers would go ok or would they dress it down too much?

I don't think have a concern here. Considering the average age of HAL cruiser I think many of us, yes including me, have to wear flat shoes. Mine are a silver metalic flat and I have worn them several times for formal night. And to be honest with you on our last 12 day cruise we had dinner with the same people every night and have no idea the style of shoe Linda or Bobbie wore. Be comfortable!!!

Judee

Those are all cute suggestions :) I think for these I'm going to the store to try them on first and make sure they're comfortable before I buy.

I'm actually excited about dressing up for the night now :) Amazing how deciding to go for comfort can change the attitude lol

Archived