Will be out of place

islahopper

My DW and I our in our mid fifties, not retired , not rich, and I don't even own a sport coat. Will we be out of place on our trip (6/21)?

I'm in my early fifties, have a partner, I'm not retired or rich, and I drive a Ford Fusion. I've never felt out of place while steamboatin' nor should you. I've done it over one hundred times too!

Opps, my bad. For some reason I read sport car and not sport coat. Honestly, I would have felt uncomfortable not wearing a sport coat or suit to the Welcome Aboard Champagne Reception or Captain's Dinner on the Delta Queen Steamboat Company's boats, but this is an entirely new company.

Great American Steamboat Company's advertising states that the dress onboard is casual, so a sport coat sounds as if it's not even necessary. Nevertheless, I'll be wearing my seersucker suit, bow tie, and bucks for the Captain's Dinner when I'm on the AMERICAN QUEEN and visiting New Orleans this coming summer.

islahopper,

My first cruise on a steamboat was at the age of 28 with my DH turning 27 right after the trip!! On our second cruise the captain thought DH is the guy repairing his radio :D - got us at the Captain´s table on that cruise. Our DD had her first steamboat cruise at the age of 18 months...

I neither rich nor retired and unfortunately this year we won´t be able to go as we have to add the price of a TA flight to the price of the cruise (and for three people).

I never felt out of place and would be happy to go in an instant!

steamboats

Folks, thank-you, you have made me feel more at ease for this trip. We are so looking forward to this trip I can,t stop talking about it. People from Maine are not known for being very well dressed, some of my friends think dressing up is not wearing blaze orange. Thanks again.

My wife and I will going on Aug10.

The brochure clearly states the dress code..If I had to bring anything but casual, I wouldn't be there.

We are spoiled from being long time cruisers with Regent. On those ships, you also don't need to bring jackets...even in the specialty restaurants.

In June, we are taking our family/grandkids on Holland America. They set their own standards by requiring tux or suit & tie in the main dining room on 2 of 7 nites that they label formal nites. Help! So for all of us, we wear our casual clothes and skip the main dining room for dinner on those 2 nights.

My wife and I will going on Aug10...

Just missing each other again! We're on the Aug 30 cruise from Vicksburg to Louisville (selected because there are more river cruising days than port days -- I want to enjoy the rivers).

Drop me an email if you get a chance; I had a hard disk crash and lost your email address. Just click "send a message to Don"...

• 5 weeks later...

Archived