Helpful tip - lost luggage

NoobCruise

I read a tip last night that seems like a no brainer, but I had never thought of before and we fly frequently.

If there are 2 or more of you flying together to your departure port and you're checking more then one suitcase, split your clothes half and half - full outfits - in each suitcase. That way if they lose one bag but the other makes it, you'll both still have clothes. If you pack all of your clothes in 1 suitcase and they lose it, you're in a mess. This happened to us once before where my husbands suitcase didn't arrive. I had all my clothes and he only had what he had stuffed in his backpack.

We always do that when flying...and, put a copy of your itinerary and cell phone # in an unlocked outside pocket on each bag...they will be able to find you if the bags go astray. The main part of your bags should be locked! Never put your home address anywhere on or in the bag! If you must put an address, put your business address! You do not want someone knowing where you live while it's obvious you're on vacation!

We also travel with an "emergency" bag that has a bathing suit, pjs, and two changes of clothes for everyone in the family. That bag never leaves our sight and has the minimum amount of stuff we need to have an enjoyable trip. Just don't expect to see us dressed up on formal night ;)

Before you leave home take a picture of your luggage. Surprisingly a lot of people can't give an accurate description especially the colour. Don't laugh, at the Brooklyn cruise terminal a man had the Cunard reps searching for his suitcase. They finally found it and it was a totally different colour than he stated.

I learned this lesson when I took my first trip to Europe in 1987. My husband and I took a short hop from San Diego to Los Angeles, then on to NYC and then Shannon Ireland. My bag got lost from San Diego and never made it to LA???? Needless to say I arrived with just what I had on and my purse. Oh and what was I wearing......an old pair of jeans to be comfortable on the plane and my Mickey Mouse sweatshirt I bought from one of our Disneyland visits. Yep I was quite a site to the Irish. Never did get my luggage back until we were home for about 3 weeks. They called from Dublin to say why didn't I pick up my suitcase (maybe because we never flew in or out of Dublin?) When I finally got it back there was all my clothes still neatly folded. On the bright side I did pick up some underware, pants and shirts from Ireland......

I read a tip last night that seems like a no brainer, but I had never thought of before and we fly frequently.

If there are 2 or more of you flying together to your departure port and you're checking more then one suitcase, split your clothes half and half - full outfits - in each suitcase. That way if they lose one bag but the other makes it, you'll both still have clothes. If you pack all of your clothes in 1 suitcase and they lose it, you're in a mess. This happened to us once before where my husbands suitcase didn't arrive. I had all my clothes and he only had what he had stuffed in his backpack.

A lot of us know this & other tricks :)

Some of us from bitter experience :o:D

I trust you loaned hubby a stylish outfit :p

We split between checked cases. And some clothes in hand-luggage, esp casual & pool gear in case our checked luggage is late to our cabin.

Ship details in outbound cases, home address in luggage for returning home (I'll agree to disagree with CB on that ;)).

Mebbe I should take a photo of my luggage.

First photo is of of ship labels on my luggage, in the hope that if I lose my camera, some kind & honest finder might repatriate it - the camera is cheap, but the photos are priceless. A photo of the ship's newspaper each day helps keep track of what photo is where.

JB :)

DH and I have done this for almost as long as we've been traveling. I do all the packing and never had a 'his' and 'hers' bag..... we have 'our bags'.

I'd be a terrible sport if he got all his things and I got none. :(

I put a full itinerary in the front pocket of any suitcase that has a pocket and I place a printed copy flat on the top of each bag.

I suppose I'm dreaming anyone would bother to look for it let alone see to getting it forwarded to us but it makes me feel like 'I tried'. :D

We also cross pack our bags when we travel. It may take a little extra time to make sure you pack what needs to go in each bag so you have complete outfits, but it's so worth it if one of your bags gets lost. My husband gives me all his clothes and I do the mixing, matching and packing.

We also always pack a copy of our itinerary and contact info inside each bag.

We've been fortunate that our bags only got lost once and it was on a return trip home so it didn't matter as much, but it still stressed me out. I can only imagine it being much worse losing luggage at the start of vacation.

I started flying back in the 40's -- mother did that for all our flights.

When I got married, had DH follow what I had done for years.

We take 4 suitcases and everything is split into the 4 suitcases.

I also have everything in plastic sweater bags, etc.

Archived