Advice needed on making the best of a long flight to San Juan

LLAKER

Hi everyone...We've booked the Carnival Victory for October 14 :D out of SJ, now I could really use some advice on the best way for us to get there :confused:.

We're coming from Northern Manitoba Canada, with a 12 hour drive just to get to the closest international airport (Winnipeg) :(. After that, here are our options:

1) book a flight from Winnipeg to SJU the day before the cruise - best case scenario departs Winnipeg at 5:00 am and arrives at SJU at 9:00 pm which would leave us pretty exhausted (and there doesn't look to be too much time for relaxing on this itinerary!), OR

2) book a flight from Winnipeg to Orlando, Miami or FLL the day before the cruise and then fly to SJU the morning of the cruise, which would be much more relaxing, but I have major worries about flying in the morning of.

Both options cost about the same, and we're planning on spending some time sightseeing in San Juan post cruise. I'm leaning towards option 2, but I'd really like to hear from someone that has been there. Thanks :D

I'm flying in from the UK with a time change. I chose a direct flight which flies in 2 days before the cruise. This works out perfect for me as it gives me the opportunity to get over the lag pretty much. Can you fly in 2 days before to ease the stress? Would also suggest posting this on the Cruise Air board where there is a wealth of information.

Thanks :). Because we already have a 12 hour drive and then hotel room in Winnipeg, I didn't really want to spend 2 more nights in hotels pre-cruise...I am trying to keep costs down as much as possible ;).

We never take the chance to fly to embarkation port same day. Too many flights get delayed or cancelled to risk it. Most flights go out full and if you miss your flight, it could be a while until you get seats on another flight.

IF it is possible, fly to San Juan two days pre-cruise. It's a great place to visit and you'll find plenty to do both pre and post cruise IMO

We vacationed there in resort hotels many times long before we ever started cruising. :)

Another option would be to book a Friday afternoon or early evening flight from Winnipeg to Toronto and stay overnight at the Sheraton Gateway right at the airport.

For example:

Flt#424

WestJet

Winnipeg (YWG) 03:30 PM

Toronto (YYZ) 06:50 PM

2 hours 20 minutes

$189.00 CAD

or

Flt#602

WestJet

Winnipeg (YWG) 06:25 PM

Toronto (YYZ) 09:45 PM

2 hours 20 minutes

$189.00 CAD

Get up the next morning and catch this direct flight to SJU.

Flt#1952

WestJet

Toronto (YYZ) 09:10 AM

San Juan (SJU) 01:35 PM

4 hours 25 minutes

$274.00 CAD

We book all of our flights to the Caribbean in such a way as to avoid touching any U.S. city. The TSA has made travelling through U.S. airports completely intolerable and inhumane.

I realize this adds an extra day to your travels, plus the added expense of another night in a hotel, but you will arrive in SJU early Saturday afternoon, nice and relaxed.

The first time we flew Calgary to SJU we stopped over in Houston. We booked a Saturday a.m. flight with Air Canada/Continental. We arrived in SJU 10 hours late and missing most of our luggage. By the time we got to our hotel for a 5-hour nap, we had been up 24 hours with 2 kids in tow. Not the best way to start a vacation...

Unfortunately, for your return flight, you won't be able to fly direct. You will likely end up with a stop-over in Miami or Houston...

If you DO end up going with YOUR option#2, there should be plenty of backup options flying from Florida to SJU, in case you flight is delayed or whatever...

Cheers, P:)

Hello !

We are from Patagonia in Argentina, also 12 hours driving to the nearest international airport (Buenos Aires).

Always we fly three days before our cruises.

First day we flew from our city to Buenos Aires (2 hour flight), hotel night in Buenos Aires and the next morning we flew to San Juan (8 hours of flight), we have a day and a half to rest and get pre-cruise.

Another option would be to book a Friday afternoon or early evening flight from Winnipeg to Toronto and stay overnight at the Sheraton Gateway right at the airport.

I didn't even think of TO as an option, and it looks like this might make things a lot easier on us :). Definately going to look into this one. THANKS!

I didn't even think of TO as an option, and it looks like this might make things a lot easier on us :). Definately going to look into this one. THANKS!

No problemo!

I used to be adverse to spending more money on hotels than I needed to, but after a few holidays, I realized that it's tough to put a price on arriving at your destination relaxed...

And I really like WestJet, because they never lose my luggage and the FA's are always nice and friendly...

We book all of our flights to the Caribbean in such a way as to avoid touching any U.S. city. The TSA has made travelling through U.S. airports completely intolerable and inhumane.

I realize this adds an extra day to your travels, plus the added expense of another night in a hotel, but you will arrive in SJU early Saturday afternoon, nice and relaxed.

The first time we flew Calgary to SJU we stopped over in Houston. We booked a Saturday a.m. flight with Air Canada/Continental. We arrived in SJU 10 hours late and missing most of our luggage. By the time we got to our hotel for a 5-hour nap, we had been up 24 hours with 2 kids in tow. Not the best way to start a vacation...

Unfortunately, for your return flight, you won't be able to fly direct. You will likely end up with a stop-over in Miami or Houston...

If you DO end up going with YOUR option#2, there should be plenty of backup options flying from Florida to SJU, in case you flight is delayed or whatever...

Yes, I will agree that the TSA is tough in the US but the most difficult security screening I've ever had was in Ottawa Canada.

Yes, I will agree that the TSA is tough in the US but the most difficult security screening I've ever had was in Ottawa Canada.

Mine was in Halifax. I read lots of complaints about TSA, but have found Canada to be the absolute "pickiest" of any place I've been.

Funny thing...

We never have trouble travelling anywhere, EXCEPT when we hit the U.S.

And it's not even about the added security - that we can handle, and we just roll with it.

It's having to deal with poorly trained TSO's who don't even know the rules themselves, yet are given the power to enforce these rules, as they see fit, without question.

When we flew back from SJU through MIA, it was terrible. One TSO telling us one thing and another TSO telling us the exact opposite... Then you walk 10 steps and deal with it all over again. One guy tells you a carry-on bag AND a camera bag is OK, the next guy tells you ONLY one bag. It was absolute chaos and lunacy. At one point, I thought a riot was going to break out among the passengers. Some passengers were yelling at the TSO's, others were in tears and panicking... It was awful. And we weren't even at the baggage screening area yet.

And we are seasoned travellers...

Unless I have absolutely no other choice, I will not fly through another U.S. airport ever again. The TSA has made flying absolutely miserable.

Mine was in Halifax. I read lots of complaints about TSA, but have found Canada to be the absolute "pickiest" of any place I've been.

Yes, Canada is very picky. I have a couple of really big scars that feel pretty serious when someone is feeling my body through a sweater and/or slacks. That's what happened to me in Ottawa. The screener felt the scars and got worried about what they were.

They were part of me and were not wires to bombs!

They were polite but very determined.

And I still insist that the airport in San Juan Puerto Rico is part of the USA.

And I still insist that the airport in San Juan Puerto Rico is part of the USA.

Because it's a US Territory, and the airport is treated the same as any airport in the US.

That's why I don't understand this post:

When we flew back from SJU through MIA, it was terrible. One TSO telling us one thing and another TSO telling us the exact opposite... Then you walk 10 steps and deal with it all over again. One guy tells you a carry-on bag AND a camera bag is OK, the next guy tells you ONLY one bag. It was absolute chaos and lunacy. At one point, I thought a riot was going to break out among the passengers. Some passengers were yelling at the TSO's, others were in tears and panicking... It was awful. And we weren't even at the baggage screening area yet.

This poster would have already cleared immigration and customs for the US in SJU. I can only guess they had to leave the secure area to get to their next flight, but I guarantee that TSA screeners could care less how many bags you have.

I don't know what they mean by "TSO". Transportation Security Officers? I think these people are now called Transportation Security Screeners, but I'm not an expert. I didn't think that these officers tell passengers how many carryons they could have either.

This poster would have already cleared immigration and customs for the US in SJU. I can only guess they had to leave the secure area to get to their next flight, but I guarantee that TSA screeners could care less how many bags you have.

I don't know what they mean by "TSO". Transportation Security Officers? I think these people are now called Transportation Security Screeners, but I'm not an expert. I didn't think that these officers tell passengers how many carryons they could have either.

Yes, we had to leave the secure area after arriving from SJU, and go back through security to catch our flight to Toronto.

I agree, why would TSA screeners care how many bags we have? Yet, there we were, in Miami, with 50+ other passengers, arguing with a TSO and being told only ONE bag each. We weren't even at the screening area yet...

I was telling him, "how do I walk off a plane from SJU with these bags and now, all of a sudden, I have too many??"

What I find even more ridiculous is that in the ensuing chaos created by everyone yelling, we just slipped past the TSO and went on through to the screening area with all our bags. Once at the screening area, no one else told us that we had too many bags. We got through security without any issues...

On the same trip, leaving SJU, I had another TSO tell my wife and I that the same carry-on bags we've been using for the last 8 years were suddenly too big.

This is what I mean about them making up rules on the fly, and this is why I never want to touch another U.S. airport ever again.

TSO = Transportation Security Officers. As far as I know, they are still called this, but I could be wrong...

Archived