transportaion pass

S.S.Oceanlover

Thanks. I'm glad i asked as if i only took XXX amount of cash it would cut into my spending money since we need to buy 4, 3 day passes.

Bill

Yes definitely cash only, but well worth it. You get unlimited use, so you can get off and back on as much as you want which really facilicates getting around the island. The ferry ride is also so refreshing on a hot day and the views are wonderful as well.

Thanks. I'm glad i asked as if i only took XXX amount of cash it would cut into my spending money since we need to buy 4, 3 day passes.

Bill

How much do you plan to ride the buses/ferry?

Unless you are riding 6 times or more per day, its generally cheaper for that many people to buy paper tickets which are 15 for $30. They can be used for multiple people and shared. even if you buy 2 (30 tickets for $60.00) its will be less than the $28 x 4 for the three day passes.

the only exception is the ferry ride to and from St george but one of these bus tickets is good for the entire island...

The problem with the tickets is you can't buy them at Dockyard, which means for most cruisers you're going to have to spend additional time and money to get them...such as taking the ferry to Hamilton. It makes them somewhat less of a bargain...IMO not worth the effort for most...I know it's not for us.

You are on vacation. Make it as easy as possible. The bus pass is definately the easiest way to get your transportation paid for. Remember, each time you get on and off the bus, it is one ticket per person. The pass is good for the whole day. If you by the two day pass and you are in Bermuda for three days, you do have to use the pass on two consecutive days, not on day 1 and day 3.

You are on vacation. Make it as easy as possible. The bus pass is definately the easiest way to get your transportation paid for. Remember, each time you get on and off the bus, it is one ticket per person. The pass is good for the whole day. If you by the two day pass and you are in Bermuda for three days, you do have to use the pass on two consecutive days, not on day 1 and day 3.

OK didn't even think about that.

Appreciate the insight. very helpful.:)

Bill

The problem with the tickets is you can't buy them at Dockyard, which means for most cruisers you're going to have to spend additional time and money to get them...such as taking the ferry to Hamilton. It makes them somewhat less of a bargain...IMO not worth the effort for most...I know it's not for us.

Ouch, I didn't see your post til just now.

This scenario is not good. So to get the transportation pass we would have to go to Hamilton the first day of the trip.

If we hadn't planned on Going to Hamilton the first day we would have to change all our plans around just to get the transportation pass.:(

We will have to figure something out. Having the fares in cash every trip is going to be a pain since there are 2 families involved and 8 people.

Bill

Unless you are riding 6 times or more per day, its generally cheaper for that many people to buy paper tickets which are 15 for $30. They can be used for multiple people and shared. even if you buy 2 (30 tickets for $60.00) its will be less than the $28 x 4 for the three day passes.

the only exception is the ferry ride to and from St george but one of these bus tickets is good for the entire island...

can you buy these at the dockyard?

I can't imagine using the transportation more than twice a day. to the beach and back maybe one night venturing into town.

Any of you guys have any experience with Warwick beach? My buddy thinks he's like to go there.

Bill

Currency in Bermuda is the Bermuda Dollar, but all shops accept US dollars. Rate is 1 for 1.

Transportation passes and tokens can be purchased in Dockyard, but you can only use cash to pay for them in DY. Tickets cannot be purchased in Dockyard (which I think is silly).

You can purchase the tickets either at the ticket kiosk at the bus terminal in Hamilton or at the post offices, however, closest post office to Dockyard is the Mangrove Bay post office in Somerset, which is a good 30-45 min walk from Dockyard (murder in the summer heat) and the PO is only open Monday-Friday.

The ticket kiosk at the bus terminal in Hamilton does accept cards, but you'll have to spend money to get there first (unless you are on the Veendam, which docks in Hamilton).

OK I misinterpreted NJHorsemans post. I was thinking tickets and transportation passes were the same thing.

I now see they are not and i can buy the transportation pass at the Dockyard.

I just can't buy tickets at the dockyard.

Yes it does seem silly.

Hopefully I have a grasp of the situation now.

I'm so used to the Caribbean,:p

Thanks for everybody' input.

Bill

OK I misinterpreted NJHorsemans post. I was thinking tickets and transportation passes were the same thing.

I now see they are not and i can buy the transportation pass at the Dockyard.

I just can't buy tickets at the dockyard.

Yes it does seem silly.

Hopefully I have a grasp of the situation now.

I'm so used to the Caribbean,:p

Thanks for everybody' input.

Bill

you could buy tokens for the ferry in the Dockyard(for $4.00) and then get the tickets in Hamilton. I have left overs from before(bought at the post office in St George) as they never expire...but they are spoken for...you can also buy tokens to use on the bus...the passes for most people are very convenient but not a good buy...

BTW if you are going to St george on your first day buy a one day pass and then get the tickets at the post office in St george!

I can't imagine using the transportation more than twice a day. to the beach and back maybe one night venturing into town.

Any of you guys have any experience with Warwick beach? My buddy thinks he's like to go there.

Bill

We love going to Warwick, just as nice a beach as Horseshoe Bay and not crowded at all. Last time we went during the week, there was only one other couple, so that part was nice. To the side off to the right is Jobson cove, almost like a private beach and very shallow water so great for kids, though it is a little small.

The only drawback with Warwick is that it doesn't have the nice facilities as Horseshoe, just a porta potty.

Same problem with another beach we like, John Smith's Bay. The faciliites are a little better but not much.

Bill

We leave the ship as early as possible, either first bus or first ferry. The ferries are a great experience. Not just transportation, just the view from the water and the smell of saltwater along with the ocean breeze. Between the buses and the ferries, you can pretty much cover most of Bermuda. We like to take the ferry to St. George, catch the bus back to Hamilton, hopefully on the day they have Hamilton Night festival and then the ferry or bus back to the dockyard. That is one full day for sure. No need to pay for a boat excursion from the ship, as the views from the ferries cover most of the water views. I take the ferries just for the ride, not minding whether I go to St. George or Hamilton.

We have used the bus pass to hit Church Bay, Warwick, Horseshoe, Elbow and John Smith, all in one day. Which also gives full value for the pass. Now that is a beach day.

The tickets are cheaper, but I rather pay a little more and be able to go anywhere I want to, as much as I want to.

We also combined a visit to Clearwater beach with the trip to St. George which was fun. But that bus route is not on the paper schedule, so you have to note the times and pay attention. But it was a different trip.

They can tell you the times where you get the trans pass in St. George.

If you're saying that the tickets are not good on the ferry, that is incorrect. If you're saying you need more than one ticket for the ferry to St. George, that is correct only if you're going between Hamilton and St. George, which requires double fare. Between Dockyard and St. George it's a single fare ride...the same between Dockyard and Hamilton.

OK, so I want the pass and I need cash at DY, does the kiosk take US money?

Will there be maps of the routes and times, or some kind of schedule?

This has been a wonderful thread and we are going 5/4/12 out of Boston on the Dawn, thanks so much for the great tips.

OK, so I want the pass and I need cash at DY, does the kiosk take US money?

This has been a wonderful thread and we are going 5/4/12 out of Boston on the Dawn, thanks so much for the great tips.

USdollars are accepted as par...

You should be able to get maps and schedules at the Visitors Information Centers. There are 3 located at the Dockyard. One on each wharf and the 3rd just past the ferry dock. Also, at times there is a temporary VIC located in a trailer where the 2 wharves meet.

To get a start on your planning, there is a map of Bermuda with bus routes and locations of some of the attractions located here.

SBtS

What are the ferrys like?Are there seats where you can sit in the sun and feel the wind?Or is everything covered under a roof?Would like to get a tan while on the ferry.

Laura

I hope you tan fast. The travel time Hamilton <> Dockyard is about 20 minutes; Dockyard <> St George 40-45 minutes. The top deck is partially covered; main deck is enclosed.

Img%5Cferry%5Cresolute.JPG

SBtS

Thanks so much for the map info that looks great, do they take US dollars for the passes?

Linda

yes they do, when you are getting off the ship, you will go through this "terminal" with an information booth, and a little store to buy sunglasses and other things, at the information booth is where you can buy the passes, they are WELL worth it, going to bermuda for the fourth time this summer and i will absolutely be getting a three day pass again! it works great for me because i spend very little time in the dock yard!

Archived