First Alaskan

tm5to1

Considering taking the fam on an Alaskan cruise. We've done the Bahamas, Mexico and both sides of the Caribbean, but this would be our first time to Alaska. Anything I definitely should know or consider as I look into this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pick a ship that sails Glacier Bay, the rest is details :D

Considering taking the fam on an Alaskan cruise. We've done the Bahamas, Mexico and both sides of the Caribbean, but this would be our first time to Alaska. Anything I definitely should know or consider as I look into this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pick a southbound Princess cruise because it goes to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. You didn't say the ages of your children in your family. But, I would think Princess would be better with children than Holland America who also goes to Glacier Bay. Holland America seems a little more geared towards older folks.

Pick a southbound Princess cruise because it goes to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. You didn't say the ages of your children in your family. But, I would think Princess would be better with children than Holland America who also goes to Glacier Bay. Holland America seems a little more geared towards older folks.

Not in Alaska. We did a multi-generation cruise on HAL and the ship had about 150 kids. And, FWIW, on 2 of my 3 cruises with Princess to other locations there were hardly any kids in sight.

I'm going on Princess this year to AK but just wanted to set the record straight:)

Just to add balance we did Princess to Alaska and lots of kids and full of kids, summer of course!

Not in Alaska. We did a multi-generation cruise on HAL and the ship had about 150 kids. And, FWIW, on 2 of my 3 cruises with Princess to other locations there were hardly any kids in sight.

I'm going on Princess this year to AK but just wanted to set the record straight:)

The first thing I'd consider is whether or not you have time to include a land trip before or after the cruise. Many people suggest that it's most efficient to do a one way cruise (Seward or Whitter to Vancouver or vice versa) if you have at least a few days, if not more, to visit the interior of Alaska. Otherwise, it's a long flight to/from Anchorage (and pricey) for a cruise only (although, I know people who've done it).

I've done RT Seattle & RT Vancouver and the latter has superior scenic sailing as it goes East of Vancouver Island (the inside passage) whereas the Seattle sailings have 1st & last sailing days in the open sea.

I've heard more families do RT Seattle than RT Vancouver because Seattle is easier and usually much less expensive than Vancouver (I think a Travel Agent told me this; I'm not positive how true it is). On my upcoming AK cruise we are doing a one way and taking the ship transfer from Vancouver to SEATAC because the airfare is much cheaper.

Even though HAL & Princess have been sailing AK the longest (and are among a few lines with permits to Glacier Bay), I've heard that all the cruiselines do a wonderful job in AK. Plus, AK is more about the scenic sailing/ports than the ship experience.

Keep reading on these boards-many basic questions are asked over & over again. Look at all the ports and port times. An itinerary might look good but the port times might be short. Research the ports & look at pictures.

Best wishes:)

I totally agree with your choice of itineraries. Do the trip one way because you miss the best bits when you do a round trip cruise and Glacier Bay in not to be missed.

We are doing the July 28 Diamond Princess from Whittier to Vancouver with our granddaughter this summer.

We just saved $400 each for the 2 adults plus the saving for our granddaughter on a big Princess sale that ends March 26.

Book now!

DON

I don't think the cruiseline matters that much anymore. I know that in the past HAL was thought of for the older set while Princess and Carnival were for the young folks - well ALL cruise lines have realized that families cruise and if they want to stay in business they need to cater to them.

If you have the time and $$ do both the interior and southeast buy doing a cruise tour. I see where Princess has what they call a "on your own" tour - they provide the transportation - train, plane, and/or bus between the various hotels and lodges - you choose what you do when you get there. The ships that do these southbound are the Diamond and Sapphire.

For more ideas about what to do visit http://www.travelalaska.com/

and http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

Have you sailed HAL in Alaska? I have experienced similar demographics on all the major cruiselines now sailing Alaska (Disney may be an exception- the only line I have not taken) also, NCL is doing Hubbard and Glacier Bay on their Northbound itineraries in 2013.

I would suggest, before you get into any booking, find out about Alaska. There are many details that can really enhance a trip. Budget fully, and go for as long as you can afford. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone; our first trip to Alaska is hoped for in mid-2013 for my DH's BIG birthday. It will be our second ever cruise. We think we'll choose HAL Volderdam for the return trip V-Vancouver, 7 days, which includes the much talked about Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm too. As you've all said above, it's about the views so we'll try for a veranda cabin. My questions:

1. Is there a better side of the ship for this cruise?

2. How cold can we expect it to be onboard in, say, June/July?

3. Do you recommend any particular cabin numbers/decks?

Thank you in anticipation of your replies. :D

PS: If the answers are already elsewhere, pls point me in that direction.:o

Congratulations - the Volendam and its itinerary is a great choice! Because of its smaller size, there are fewer verandah cabins and they are quite expensive. Some choose to get an oceanview or even an inside cabin for Alaska simply because of the expense and the costly excursions in port. You need to decide what is most important to you.

I've sailed on the Amsterdam for Alaska twice on their 14 day itinerary, and because of the expense went with an oceanview cabin both times. The Volendam, as with all HAL ships, have the wonderful Crows Nest on the most forward part of the ship for excellent viewing, plus the wrap around Promenade deck so you can view all sides at your leisure.

I've sailed four times to Alaska on HAL - twice in verandah cabins on the larger Oosterdam, and then twice on the smaller Amsterdam in oceanview cabins. While having a verandah for Alaska is wonderful and we spent many, many hours on ours in those first two trips, we found that the oceanview cabins we carefully chose really saved us a lot of $$$ which we were able to use for more exciting and expensive excursions that we really wanted to do. Tradeoffs that for us, in the long run, was a great decision!

There are some "secret cabins" (oceanviews) on the aft of the Volendam that are just steps to small, little used aft public decks that have amazing views. Its like having a verandah without the cost! Cabins 7086 and 7083 are those located on the Navigation deck. They have large windows overlooking these aft decks and are literally five steps out your door to the deck, which have several loungers, two benches, and amazing views! And just one flight of steps up to the aft Lido pool, the Seaview Bar, and the Lido restaurant. We booked the equivalent of cabin 7086 on one of our 14 day cruises and it was the best cabin ever! 7083 is just as nice, but has the staircase up to the Lido in front of the window, which is just a teeny bit less desirable.

This past Aug. I went back to Alaska on the Amsterdam's 14 day trip with my niece and her boyfriend this time. Since our "secret cabin" only held two people, we chose an oceanview on the Main Deck - three cabins away from the aft, where there is another small public deck. The difference between the two cabins on deck 7 and those on the Main Deck is that the secret deck on the Main deck has a solid railing at the bottom so you have to stand up for the amazing views. The secret deck on the aft of deck 7 has open railing so sitting in the loungers to watch the stunning scenery makes for unimpeded views. Both types of cabins are a bargain compared to a verandah cabin and may be something you'd want to consider. Look at the deck plans and you'll see that there are several of those "secret aft decks" including deck 6 and the Lower Promenade which will get you quickly out to the largest verandah on the ship - the Promenade deck! Just something to consider!

Excursions in Alaska are very expensive due to their short cruising and tourist season. We chose to save our funds for those excursions rather than the more pricey verandah cabin - your mileage may vary;).

Have a great time planning for your trip - you've got plenty of time to do it and reading these boards will be an invaluable tool for you. Also get yourself some Alaska travel books - either purchase them or take them out from your local library. I like Lonely Planet, Fodors and Frommers myself, but there are a ton of others to consider with a quick trip to your local Barnes and Noble store. Some travel books are geared toward cruise travel which may be helpful for the ports you will be visiting.

Good luck in your mission and have a fantastic time in the Great Land - it is so special and I'm confident it will really capture your heart. You'll be back, trust me;).

Congratulations - the Volendam and its itinerary is a great choice! Because of its smaller size, there are fewer verandah cabins and they are quite expensive. Some choose to get an oceanview or even an inside cabin for Alaska simply because of the expense and the costly excursions in port. You need to decide what is most important to you.

I've sailed on the Amsterdam for Alaska twice on their 14 day itinerary, and because of the expense went with an oceanview cabin both times. The Volendam, as with all HAL ships, have the wonderful Crows Nest on the most forward part of the ship for excellent viewing, plus the wrap around Promenade deck so you can view all sides at your leisure.

I've sailed four times to Alaska on HAL - twice in verandah cabins on the larger Oosterdam, and then twice on the smaller Amsterdam in oceanview cabins. While having a verandah for Alaska is wonderful and we spent many, many hours on ours in those first two trips, we found that the oceanview cabins we carefully chose really saved us a lot of $$$ which we were able to use for more exciting and expensive excursions that we really wanted to do. Tradeoffs that for us, in the long run, was a great decision!

There are some "secret cabins" (oceanviews) on the aft of the Volendam that are just steps to small, little used aft public decks that have amazing views. Its like having a verandah without the cost! Cabins 7086 and 7083 are those located on the Navigation deck. They have large windows overlooking these aft decks and are literally five steps out your door to the deck, which have several loungers, two benches, and amazing views! And just one flight of steps up to the aft Lido pool, the Seaview Bar, and the Lido restaurant. We booked the equivalent of cabin 7086 on one of our 14 day cruises and it was the best cabin ever! 7083 is just as nice, but has the staircase up to the Lido in front of the window, which is just a teeny bit less desirable.

This past Aug. I went back to Alaska on the Amsterdam's 14 day trip with my niece and her boyfriend this time. Since our "secret cabin" only held two people, we chose an oceanview on the Main Deck - three cabins away from the aft, where there is another small public deck. The difference between the two cabins on deck 7 and those on the Main Deck is that the secret deck on the Main deck has a solid railing at the bottom so you have to stand up for the amazing views. The secret deck on the aft of deck 7 has open railing so sitting in the loungers to watch the stunning scenery makes for unimpeded views. Both types of cabins are a bargain compared to a verandah cabin and may be something you'd want to consider. Look at the deck plans and you'll see that there are several of those "secret aft decks" including deck 6 and the Lower Promenade which will get you quickly out to the largest verandah on the ship - the Promenade deck! Just something to consider!

Excursions in Alaska are very expensive due to their short cruising and tourist season. We chose to save our funds for those excursions rather than the more pricey verandah cabin - your mileage may vary;).

Have a great time planning for your trip - you've got plenty of time to do it and reading these boards will be an invaluable tool for you. Also get yourself some Alaska travel books - either purchase them or take them out from your local library. I like Lonely Planet, Fodors and Frommers myself, but there are a ton of others to consider with a quick trip to your local Barnes and Noble store. Some travel books are geared toward cruise travel which may be helpful for the ports you will be visiting.

Good luck in your mission and have a fantastic time in the Great Land - it is so special and I'm confident it will really capture your heart. You'll be back, trust me;).

What a considered and lovely reply, thank you very much! I didn't know to subscribe to the thread so only just found all this lovely information. Yep, we're very excited about our second ever cruise and really look forward to using your lovely info. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I totally agree with your choice of itineraries. Do the trip one way because you miss the best bits when you do a round trip cruise and Glacier Bay in not to be missed.

We are doing the July 28 Diamond Princess from Whittier to Vancouver with our granddaughter this summer.

We just saved $400 each for the 2 adults plus the saving for our granddaughter on a big Princess sale that ends March 26.

Book now!

DON

We are taking Rhapsody of the Seas out of Vanocuver next Wed. Will we hit Glacier Bay or is that something we have to do in Juneau? I think I read that the glacier is Juneau. Tell me whaat to do! Thanks, Stagebaby (Bryna and Joe Weiss from LA) my e-mail is brynaweiss@gmail.com. Thank you, whoever. And by the way, whoever suggested Wrinklease Spray (never knew it existed), thanks- I bought it today. Can't remember which thread it was on.

We are taking Rhapsody of the Seas out of Vanocuver next Wed. Will we hit Glacier Bay or is that something we have to do in Juneau? I think I read that the glacier is Juneau. Tell me whaat to do! Thanks, Stagebaby (Bryna and Joe Weiss from LA) my e-mail is brynaweiss@gmail.com. Thank you, whoever. And by the way, whoever suggested Wrinklease Spray (never knew it existed), thanks- I bought it today. Can't remember which thread it was on.

I think you are mistaking Glacier Bay for Mendenhall Glacier. Glacier Bay is a national park that you sail through and see spectacular glaciers. Mendenhall (which BTW is also a national park) is right outside of Juneau and lets you get really up close to a glacier.

Royal Caribbean (and it's sister line Celebrity) do not have and most likely will never again have a permit to sail Glacier Bay due to previous pollution issues.

Glacier Bay!

(Decide what YOU want to do/see... If you want to see the salmon spawning then early May would not be when to go...)

Archived