Princess Alaska Price Drop

donaldsc

By changing our cruisetour from a "BA3" to a "WA3", we saved a total of $1600. I like it better now as we will spend 2 days in Denali rather than one in Denali and one in Mt. McKinley.

Is it the "Spring Into Savings" or "Denali on Sale " promo? Friends of mine are on the Star round-trip Seattle in July, but the Spring Into Savings deal is good through June only. Needless to say, they haven't qualified for any price decrease yet.

Just an FYI for those booked with cruisetours......we are booked for the 10 day cruisetour in August......the price of the cruise portion went down....our TA called Princess and because we are booked on a cruisetour and the land portion is full and waitlisted, we can not get the price reduction on the cruise part, because of being booked as the cruisetour. To me this is like being penalized for booking a cruisetour, because people that are just booked on the cruise are getting the price reduction. If the price of the cruise goes down again, I may talk my husband into canceling the cruisetour and rebooking the cruise only so we can get the reduction, and do the land portion on our own. The more the price of the cruise goes down, the price of that 3 day land tour sky rockets. Of course at that time we would have to book a rental car and a hotel for 3 nights. Again, I think this is penalizing those booked on cruisetours.

I checked yesterday on mine and because this is for new cruise bookings I couldn't get the savings. I had rebooked on the leap day sale and had a non-refundable deposit. That deposit was more than the savings I would have on my June cruise. Guess I'll learn next time to just hold out a little longer.

I'm new to Princess, although I can't wait to set sail to Alaska in June. Quick question... after final payment date, if the price drops, are you elegible for OBC or anything? As I recall, you aren't, but wanted to double check. We received a couple of excellent price drops up to now, so it's all good. Thanks!

Just an FYI for those booked with cruisetours......we are booked for the 10 day cruisetour in August......the price of the cruise portion went down....our TA called Princess and because we are booked on a cruisetour and the land portion is full and waitlisted, we can not get the price reduction on the cruise part, because of being booked as the cruisetour. To me this is like being penalized for booking a cruisetour, because people that are just booked on the cruise are getting the price reduction. If the price of the cruise goes down again, I may talk my husband into canceling the cruisetour and rebooking the cruise only so we can get the reduction, and do the land portion on our own. The more the price of the cruise goes down, the price of that 3 day land tour sky rockets. Of course at that time we would have to book a rental car and a hotel for 3 nights. Again, I think this is penalizing those booked on cruisetours.

we have a cruise tour booked for n.b. july 4th. we were able to get a $600 reduction with no problem or changes having been made. the problem could be you're t.a. check with another tour co., and get back to you're t.a.

• 4 weeks later...

Same thing with many of us; we have always travelled with Pricness but this will be the end; my agent has been trying to get them to understand and bend or give us something in return but absolutely nothing! Only for new bookings. We would cancel in a minute but we already have our flights booked. Never again with Princess! New price is half what we paid!

Same thing with many of us; we have always travelled with Pricness but this will be the end; my agent has been trying to get them to understand and bend or give us something in return but absolutely nothing! Only for new bookings. We would cancel in a minute but we already have our flights booked. Never again with Princess! New price is half what we paid!

I have to tell you, it will be 2 weeks this Monday that I was on the Princess website nosing around. I was looking at an 11 day cruisetour that was exactly the same as our 10 day, just adding one more day at the beginning, and that being 1 more night at McKinley. It was $1600 CHEAPER than our 10 day. I called our TA right away.....it cost us $730 to switch our flight to a day earlier, but we still ended up saving $875 and getting 1 more day in Alaska. Even if everyone says McKinley is a "holding place", we will sit back, relax and count our $875! The next day the 11 day one was showing "sold out". It will take a LOT for my husband to ever convince me to book a cruisetour again. It is great that the price of the cruise is still dropping, and those booked only on the cruise can get the reduction. However, those booked on the cruisetours will end up paying more for the land tour than the cruise itself, and that is crazy. The cruisetours are supposed to be so wonderful, and sell out so quickly, but I believe those booked on cruisetours end up being penalized.

If history repeats itself there will be a further reduction is cabins in May come June for late August thru September.

Your were close. :) Price reductions on August and Sepetember sailings have been occuring the last couple weeks. I saved a ton on a great balcony! You may still be correct that further price drops will happen, but from what I saw in terms of cabin availability there will only be inside cabins and ocean view cabins available, balconies are pretty much gone for August and September, accept for a "guarantee" if you not picky about location.

I have to tell you, it will be 2 weeks this Monday that I was on the Princess website nosing around. I was looking at an 11 day cruisetour that was exactly the same as our 10 day, just adding one more day at the beginning, and that being 1 more night at McKinley. It was $1600 CHEAPER than our 10 day. I called our TA right away.....it cost us $730 to switch our flight to a day earlier, but we still ended up saving $875 and getting 1 more day in Alaska. Even if everyone says McKinley is a "holding place", we will sit back, relax and count our $875! The next day the 11 day one was showing "sold out". It will take a LOT for my husband to ever convince me to book a cruisetour again. It is great that the price of the cruise is still dropping, and those booked only on the cruise can get the reduction. However, those booked on the cruisetours will end up paying more for the land tour than the cruise itself, and that is crazy. The cruisetours are supposed to be so wonderful, and sell out so quickly, but I believe those booked on cruisetours end up being penalized.

Glad you cancelled and rebooked. I would have done that in a second but taking a large group so wasn't feasible but it taught us: we won't be booking with Princess again or taking any land tours; much cheaper to do it on your own! DO hope Princess reads these blogs! Going now to book group with fabulous group discounts for 14 day Celebrity for 2014 for Caribbean. My group (I'm not a travel agent) had kind of decided after the last two group cruises; one on Celebrity and one on Princess that Celebrity was much superior but after this episode; there's no doubt about it. Celebrity gave us a fabulous group rate on 2012 plus price on that one is now $900 more in every category. Glad some crusie lines appreciate our business.

Was available to everyone but they have now taken it off; tremendous amout of people booked when sale was on; plus I think they got a lot of complaints from others like me!

I never saw it and I check Princess site out every day. I wonder if anyone else outside of the US/Canada saw it.

Our cruise is Aug 18 - someone mentioned several posts ago - they thought the price of August cruises to Alaska would drop May - June. Our final pay is due June 4 - I paid the cruise off EXCEPT for $100. just in case there was a price drop and I could take advantage of it....

MY QUESTION - How would I know if it drops? My category is sold out and why would they put something on sale that is already sold out? Do I have it all wrong? Is there something I am missing?

I am not new to cruising - but usually just pay what is the rate at the time I book and haven't checked into it any further ... TEACH ME!

We made final payment today and got the reduction....saved about $1000...so excited!

I saw that sail too! But, it does not apply to the suite price, maybe I'll ask Mrs Banjo if she might take a mink suite and save a big pile of money!

Your were close. :) Price reductions on August and Sepetember sailings have been occuring the last couple weeks. I saved a ton on a great balcony! You may still be correct that further price drops will happen, but from what I saw in terms of cabin availability there will only be inside cabins and ocean view cabins available, balconies are pretty much gone for August and September, accept for a "guarantee" if you not picky about location.

There are a lot of balcony rooms available yet on our sailing....August 4th southbound on the Sapphire

Our cruise is Aug 18 - someone mentioned several posts ago - they thought the price of August cruises to Alaska would drop May - June. Our final pay is due June 4 - I paid the cruise off EXCEPT for $100. just in case there was a price drop and I could take advantage of it....

MY QUESTION - How would I know if it drops? My category is sold out and why would they put something on sale that is already sold out? Do I have it all wrong? Is there something I am missing?

I am not new to cruising - but usually just pay what is the rate at the time I book and haven't checked into it any further ... TEACH ME!

If is shows sold out you can't get any price reduction.....but keep checking it because I have seen them go back and forth, saying sold out and then not saying sold out.

I never saw it and I check Princess site out every day. I wonder if anyone else outside of the US/Canada saw it.

Icat they are not available to australians. Our price is still 2232 USD (2163 AUD)for a balcony on the june 25 cruise alaska vancouver to whittier.

American's can get it for 1192 USD. Amazing. See trip advisor Cruise section sticky about what to do about it. :)

Archived