travel insurance "misunderstanding"???

The RCI travel insurance does NOT require purchase within 14 days of deposit on a cruise in order to cover pre-exsisting conditions. It DOES require that for 60 days prior to purchasing the travel insurance, the insured(s) preexsisting condition be stable...no changes in medication, no diagnostic procedures, etc. I have a copy of the policy, tho' I haven't purchased yet as waiting for a 60 day period of stability for my husbands afib problem. I called the Berkley Care number on the RCI website three different times and got the same answer about the 60 days prior to purchase. After the third call (because it was difficult for me to believe this) was when I asked to be mailed the actual policy. And other posters are correct. I have also used the CSA policy in the past. So, if I can't get a 60 day prior to purchase window, I will have to go with CSA again, tho' it is a little higher.

The CruiseCare policy is also available on RCI's website and outlines the 60 day 'look back': http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

<snip>

*Please note the following restrictions:

Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide a cash refund, should

you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:

a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms causing a person to seek

diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you

purchased this waiver; mental, nervous or psychological disorders, or pregnancy, unless

hospitalized; elective abortion; drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;

business, contractual or educational obligations of you, an immediate family member, or traveling

companion;

declared or undeclared war, or any act of war; service in the armed forces of any country;

any unlawful acts, committed by you or a traveling companion;

other condition, event or circumstance occurring prior to your purchase of CruiseCare. <snip>

Also, be aware that your CruiseCare needs to be paid in full to be in effect. Just adding insurance to your booking does not provide benefits. This is from the policy: Important: CruiseCare benefits are valid only if the appropriate program costs have been

received by Royal Caribbean International. Please keep these documents for your records.

Your polilcy names the covered reasons for cancellation or trip interruption. Work issues is not a covered reason to cancel on the Cruise Care policy.

They may have the benefit of a cruise credit when canceling for 'any reason' with RCI's Enhancement:

SPECIAL CRUISECARE CRUISE VACATION CANCELLATION ENHANCEMENT

CRUISECARE “ANY REASON” CRUISE CREDITS……Up To 75% of the non-refundable

pre-paid Cruise Vacation Cost

Provided EXCLUSIVELY by Royal Caribbean International

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is

otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Royal

Caribbean International will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your

Cruise Vacation prepaid to Royal Caribbean International, for your use toward a future cruise. This

additional enhancement is offered exclusively by Royal Caribbean International as a special service to

guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on

the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from

issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value. To be eligible for credits, notification of

cancellation must be given to Royal Caribbean International prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve

cancelled with Royal Caribbean International, please contact the CruiseCare Help Line at 1-800-453-

4022 regarding cruise credits.

There are several insurance companies that sell policies that cover pre-existing conditions when purchased at final payment as long as you are "fit to travel" at the time of purchase. The pre-existing waivers are generally for the insured only and do not pertain to family members. I know that the one we sell (Travelex) has to be purchased within 72 hours of final in order to cover pre-existing conditions.

Ok, now I am confused again. My husband and I don't have any pre-existing conditions but my in laws do. When you say the waivers are generally for the insured only are you saying that if we had to cancel due to one of his parent's pre existing conditions we wouldn't be covered? I looked at the CSA policy and I can't see where that is specified.

Thanks so much!!

Ok, now I am confused again. My husband and I don't have any pre-existing conditions but my in laws do. When you say the waivers are generally for the insured only are you saying that if we had to cancel due to one of his parent's pre existing conditions we wouldn't be covered? I looked at the CSA policy and I can't see where that is specified.

Thanks so much!!

This is from CSA's FAQs:

Is it possible to insure pre-existing medical conditions?

Yes, CSA can accepts pre-existing medical conditions for you, your traveling companions and family members. Moreover, CSA offers its customers the flexibility to cover pre-existing conditions up to final payment. Pre-existing medical conditions are accepted with most of our plans when you meet two requirements. First, you must not be disabled from travel when you buy the insurance. Second, you must purchase the insurance prior to or within 24 hours of your final payment.

This is from CSA's FAQs:

Is it possible to insure pre-existing medical conditions?

Yes, CSA can accepts pre-existing medical conditions for you, your traveling companions and family members. Moreover, CSA offers its customers the flexibility to cover pre-existing conditions up to final payment. Pre-existing medical conditions are accepted with most of our plans when you meet two requirements. First, you must not be disabled from travel when you buy the insurance. Second, you must purchase the insurance prior to or within 24 hours of your final payment.

Excellent! Will make a point to read through all the FAQs. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I just booked my first RC cruise earlier this week and did purchase the trip insurance. At the time of booking, I paid the deposit only.

Because of this thread, I just called to ask for them to take the payment for my trip insurance - and I mentioned I had heard that I need to pay it within a few weeks of booking in order for it to cover pre-existing conditions. The rep confirmed this to be true and said she would do a forced payment so that it would indicate this was payment of my insurance specifically.

Hopefully, this means I'm good to go. :)

There are several insurance companies that sell policies that cover pre-existing conditions when purchased at final payment as long as you are "fit to travel" at the time of purchase. The pre-existing waivers are generally for the insured only and do not pertain to family members. I know that the one we sell (Travelex) has to be purchased within 72 hours of final in order to cover pre-existing conditions.

I've done a lot of reading on the whole insurance topic. This thread has really been helpful. I have two in my family group who are over the age of 85. Independent insurance has become quite pricey for them due to their ages, so this time, they took the RCI insurance. Didn't pay for it along with my deposit, never knew it was even an option. But this whole pre-existing conditions issue has been heavy on my mind. We all know that an insurance company wont pay a claim if they don't HAVE to. And at their ages, just about anything can be deemed pre-existing.

Thank You to those who made mention of both the CSA and Travelex options. I looked at CSA, it's really expensive for an 87 year old ($350 to include the pre-ex waiver). At least it was an option. However, come to find out that my travel agent is able to get the Travelex (Travel Net) policy for us, which isn't offered through InsureMyTrip. The price? $64 each to insure their cruise. WHAT?! :eek: Yes! It's not age-based AND it includes a pre-existing conditions waiver if purchased within 3 days of making final payment. I won't be waiting that long, going to pay for it today, I'm scared something is going to change on me. Ha.

I'm a happy camper. Just to be clear, I am in NO manner trying to beat the system, I just want my family to be insured as best they can. Thank you chuchnmarilyn!! I would have come to you if my own TA couldn't provide this for us. I truly appreciate the info you shared.

My T/A told me to be very, very careful about purchasing your insurance through the cruise line. She said most cruise line policies DO NOT cover you in the event of the financial default of the line itself. Now I know that the chances of RCCL going belly up are slim to none but it is something to keep in mind when deciding where to get your insurance.

And thank you for posting this about Travelex. Going to check this out right now!

I should have mentioned this too.....

I called Travelex directly. The rep I spoke with told me that this particular policy could only be obtained through certain travel agents. I knew mine was one because I looked on their website first, that's where I got the number for Travelex. I assume this is why it's not among the options listed at InsureMyTrip. So, I'm not sure if you will be able to find it on your own. If not, I suggest getting in touch with "chucknmarilyn" who initially mentioned it here. I don't know if your cruise must be booked through the same agent or not, in order to buy this policy. Maybe chucknmarilyn can clarify that.....

Just wanted to share a few things I have found out about travel insurance.

1.) Be careful when buying your own insurance on a cruise using a RCCL onboard booking bonus certificate. Some items are not covered if insurance is not purchased within XX days of initial deposit (most were 14-30 days). Keep in mind that by using a RCCL onboard booking bonus certificate, your initial deposit is the day you made the onboard booking. For instance: You do an onboard booking in June of 2011 but don't actually select your cruise till May of 2012. Your initial deposit is June of 2011...not May 2012.

2.) I had purchased travel insurance on my own for flight/hotels/cruise etc. and had coverage for trip interruption. I was at the port town a few days prior (again, flight and hotel were included in the insurance) and we were notified less than 24 hours prior to the ship departing that it was going to be delayed. Long story short: The ship left 2 days late...so we had to all find hotels at the last minute to stay in till we departed. When I filed my claim because my trip was interrupted while in progress, they initally denied it because I did not purchase "trip delay insurance". I fought it and got re-imbursed but they still considered this a trip delay rather than a trip interruption. If I had only the insurance for the cruise, I would agree with them that the trip was delayed. But since I had insurance for the entire trip, I still feel the trip was interrupted...not delayed.

I wish I had known about paying for the RCI insurance at time of making deposit. I asked the rep about pre-existing conditions when I made our bookings, she directed me to their insurance page which I read at that time. What I saw was that pre-existing conditions are not covered. Period. I saw NO mention of any waiver if you pay the premium when you pay your deposit. I went just now and read it again, I swear the wording has changed. I'm very careful about this sort of thing and I hope it doesn't come around to bite us. Some in my group added the RCI insurance to their reservation (the rest went the independent route), but didn't pay for it. Just wish we had known about this option, we certainly would have done it.

At least I'll know in the future and maybe CSA will be worth checking into for those in my group who opted for the RCI insurance."

I read through the entire policy a few months ago and also saw no exception to the "no pre-existing condition" rule. When we do buy insurance, we have typically gotten it from RCI for the "cancel for any reason" coverage. At our ages (61 &58), adding that coverage to the other carriers' policies makes it much more expensive.

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I just booked my first RC cruise earlier this week and did purchase the trip insurance. At the time of booking, I paid the deposit only.

Because of this thread, I just called to ask for them to take the payment for my trip insurance - and I mentioned I had heard that I need to pay it within a few weeks of booking in order for it to cover pre-existing conditions. The rep confirmed this to be true and said she would do a forced payment so that it would indicate this was payment of my insurance specifically.

Hopefully, this means I'm good to go. :)

Interesting that they don't normally tell you that when you book, and don't say it in the written policy( or maybe they do now). You'd think they would want to collect the premiums in advance - odds are that they would have to pay very few claims, and would be able to invest the polcy premiums in something more profitable than a money market fund...

Just wanted to share a few things I have found out about travel insurance.

1.) Be careful when buying your own insurance on a cruise using a RCCL onboard booking bonus certificate. Some items are not covered if insurance is not purchased within XX days of initial deposit (most were 14-30 days). Keep in mind that by using a RCCL onboard booking bonus certificate, your initial deposit is the day you made the onboard booking. For instance: You do an onboard booking in June of 2011 but don't actually select your cruise till May of 2012. Your initial deposit is June of 2011...not May 2012.

Matt, am I understanding you correctly that RCI will allow us to get the insurance when we eventually choose the cruise we want to take?

And... othe rcompanies will consider the initial deposit is made when we purchase the Next Cruise certificate (or whatever they're calling it today!) so we won't be allowed to get the insurance from them ??

(bowing head and saying a prayer that I asked the question in a way that you can answer it.)

Just to be clear, I am in NO manner trying to beat the system, I just want my family to be insured as best they can. Thank you chuchnmarilyn!! I would have come to you if my own TA couldn't provide this for us. I truly appreciate the info you shared.

This couldn't be considered "cheating the system" the insurance company knows and is willing to take the risk with no concern for age... that's their business model, so it's all legit!:D

BTW, I think this is the most helpful insurance thread Ive ever read; I love that everyone is actually quoting the policy, which is so much more useful because it reminds everyone that the answers are buried in their somewhere!

I am so glad this thread was started, as it is filled with so much important information. I have always gotten travel insurance, but I keep on learning more and more about the little details.

I use CSA much of the time, but not all of the time. I use the cruise line insurance for short cruises, (3-5 days) when I'm driving to the port and then after the cruise, heading right home. Cruise line insurance ONLY covers you for the cruise period, which includes getting to the port and returning home after the cruise. If you are spending time before the cruise or after the cruise away from home, you aren't covered. So for example if you are traveling in Europe and need to be medically evacuated home, you have no coverage with cruise line insurance. For this reason, I always get private insurance when I'm combining a cruise with additional land arrangements.

Medical evacuation is VERY expensive, and depending on your needs, it could cost more than $25,000 to be medically evacuated home or to a hospital near home. I find the limit of $25,000 seems too low with the Cruise Care insurance. Many private insurance limits are much higher, $100,000-$1,000,000. However, I do like the cancel for any reason benefit, getting 75% back in a future cruise certificate you get with Cruise Care.

Another advantage to Cruise Care insurance is that it is NOT priced by your age. As you get older, the price of private insurance goes up and up and at some point, becomes ridiculously expensive.

You really have to weigh your decisions on which insurance to buy. One of the major topics discussed here in Pre-existing conditions. In this case, when you pay for you insurance is very important. But, that has been mentioned numerous times on this thread.

My last piece of advice is to be careful of SOME travel agency travel insurance, as their limits are low, especially the ones that are given as a bonus for making a booking. If you need to cancel before you leave home for a medical reason, most travel insurance will be fine. It's once you're away, the plan limits are very important.

Steve

Matt, am I understanding you correctly that RCI will allow us to get the insurance when we eventually choose the cruise we want to take?

And... othe rcompanies will consider the initial deposit is made when we purchase the Next Cruise certificate (or whatever they're calling it today!) so we won't be allowed to get the insurance from them ??

(bowing head and saying a prayer that I asked the question in a way that you can answer it.)

I have never bought insurance through Royal Caribbean or a travel agent. I always buy it on my own (that way it will cover not just the cruise but my entire vacation as I always book hotels and flights separately)...so I am not sure if they will allow you to buy insurance when you first get the next cruise certificate. I just know that on my current cruise, it showed a deposit date of when I did the next cruise certificate and I remember seeing on several of the insurance providers that certain items were not covered unless the insurance was purchased within xx # of days from the initial deposit. Some said the final deposit...so just be careful to read the fine print. I'm sure they will sell you the insurance...they may just deny any claims if they can get away with it!

FYI - on my last search for travel insurance, there were a few companies that offered cancle for any reason with a 75% refund!

This thread has been very helpful and I am glad I found it. I just wanted to add that when I buy insurance for a vacation, I type in "travel insurance comparison" in a search engine and click on one of the travel insurance comparison sites. You just plug in your generic info (no specific personal needed for estimates), and you get a tons of plans to choose from. You can sort them however you wish and then check a few to compare side by side. The previous post mentioned some very important details and that is medical evacuation. I am sure that could be very expensive and suggest you go with a higher limit (I usually choose at least 100k). If you are visiting countries with current political tension, there's a category for that as well. I'm in my 40's and I used to never get travel insurance untill an wise older person at my dinner table talked some sense into me! I will now never travel without it. Easily under $100 for a $2000 vacation (usually $75-80).

The RCI travel insurance does NOT require purchase within 14 days of deposit on a cruise in order to cover pre-exsisting conditions. It DOES require that for 60 days prior to purchasing the travel insurance, the insured(s) preexsisting condition be stable...no changes in medication, no diagnostic procedures, etc. I have a copy of the policy, tho' I haven't purchased yet as waiting for a 60 day period of stability for my husbands afib problem. I called the Berkley Care number on the RCI website three different times and got the same answer about the 60 days prior to purchase. After the third call (because it was difficult for me to believe this) was when I asked to be mailed the actual policy. And other posters are correct. I have also used the CSA policy in the past. So, if I can't get a 60 day prior to purchase window, I will have to go with CSA again, tho' it is a little higher.

That is a very good point about RCI's travel insurance policy, which WILL cover certain pre-existing conditions as long as they have been stable (i.e., under a doctor's care and using medications that haven't changed) for the 60 days prior to purchasing the insurance. So, in the case of a relative that is traveling with us that has such a pre-existing condition, I recommended they buy the insurance immediately to lock in the look back period. Otherwise, if you just tell the booking agent that you want to purchase travel insurance, then the insurance won't be purchased (and the 60-day look back period won't begin) until you apply final payment for the cruise.

When I booked my cruise with rccl a couple months ago, I asked for the travel insurance, knowing that you must get it within a certain amount of time in order to be covered for any pre-existing conditions. well a couple of weeks ago we transferred to a TA and asked her about our insurance because when we checked our credit card we were not charged yet for it. Well, when whe got back with us she told us that we do have insurance BUT they are not charging until final payment is due. AND she informed us that we are not covered for pre-existing because we didn't pay upfront. She said she has other couples that transferred their bookings that have also run into this problem. So word of caution, when booking directly with rccl MAKE SURE you tell them to CHARGE the travel insurance immediately. That was the first time I had booked with them directly, all the other times I booked with a TA and never had a problem. When I asked for the insurance I got it. Funny thing is, when I booked I specifically asked for the insurance and mentioned so we could be covered for pre-existing. hmm I wonder if that call was recorded? other wise I have no other proof. Next time I will check my Credit card immediately to make sure the charge is there. live and learn. :(

Next time why don't you book with the TA that is providing you with the service you want instead of directly with the cruise line that is not providing you with the service you want. Also, you would probably do better purchasing the insurance independently rather than from the cruise line.

Archived