LAN airlines

cavydad

My point was that first/business class was *empty* except for one or two people doing a lengthy repacking, and we *still* were not let off. The rest of business class was long gone. Quite a different thing then (obviously, and politely) waiting for the people in front of you to deplane.

As for the point about the backpacks - we had been traveling for a long trip, we still had a 3-hour drive ahead of us, and the only thing stopping us from getting out of the airport was the fact that the flight attendant wouldn't let us off the plane.

Thanks to the 1% for being so understanding. :D

And yes, I have traveled upgraded. I don't, however, think it allows me to inordinately detain the rest of the plane because I just realized I need to collect my stuff and get off the plane.

I think that's the answer - if you're flying LAN business or first class, you'll probably be quite content. Economy, unfed, looked down upon (by flight attendants and the chosen ones), maybe not so much.

Either way, you'll survive. We did.

Cheers, everyone.

My point was that first/business class was *empty* except for one or two people doing a lengthy repacking, and we *still* were not let off. The rest of business class was long gone. Quite a different thing then (obviously, and politely) waiting for the people in front of you to deplane.

As for the point about the backpacks - we had been traveling for a long trip, we still had a 3-hour drive ahead of us, and the only thing stopping us from getting out of the airport was the fact that the flight attendant wouldn't let us off the plane.

Thanks to the 1% for being so understanding. :D

And yes, I have traveled upgraded. I don't, however, think it allows me to inordinately detain the rest of the plane because I just realized I need to collect my stuff and get off the plane.

I think that's the answer - if you're flying LAN business or first class, you'll probably be quite content. Economy, unfed, looked down upon (by flight attendants and the chosen ones), maybe not so much.

Either way, you'll survive. We did.

Cheers, everyone.

Happy travels to you, as well. Looks like you won't encounter such big delays (we still don't know how long it was) on other airlines. I'm sure you pointed out the airline's faiings to your attendant most politely. We flew LAN economy SCL-LAX and were fed just fine. Delays happen. I haven't yet run into delays in disembarking that have caused big disruptions to our trips, but I guess it could happen. Good luck to you.

What amount of time is okay for 1 or 2 business class passengers to hold up 200+ people behind them...many of whom *really* have to pee, are getting a headache from the screaming babies that woke up again after finally falling asleep, or are metaphorically dying to get off the plane and move about after being squished in seats 18" wide with 32" pitch for 9 hours? 10 minutes? 5? 1?

You may think "it's only 5 or 10 minutes....what's the big deal?"

I agree a business or first class ticket buys a (much) better seat and (much) better service. It buys first on and first off and all sorts of other things. I don't begrudge any of that (I certainly appreciate it all when I'm front.) But it does NOT buy the right to decide that the rest of the people on the plane have no right to care about an extra 5 or 10 minutes. Or even 1. Ride 9 hours (yes, with the delay before we left, it was well over 9 hours) in economy. Then stand there held back by the flight attendants that 5-10 minutes for no good reason. Heck....even try for once not switching to the aisle that's moving when your side stops. :p

I am truly not understanding the pushback on this.

What amount of time is okay for 1 or 2 business class passengers to hold up 200+ people behind them...many of whom *really* have to pee, are getting a headache from the screaming babies that woke up again after finally falling asleep, or are metaphorically dying to get off the plane and move about after being squished in seats 18" wide with 32" pitch for 9 hours? 10 minutes? 5? 1?

You may think "it's only 5 or 10 minutes....what's the big deal?"

I agree a business or first class ticket buys a (much) better seat and (much) better service. It buys first on and first off and all sorts of other things. I don't begrudge any of that (I certainly appreciate it all when I'm front.) But it does NOT buy the right to decide that the rest of the people on the plane have no right to care about an extra 5 or 10 minutes. Or even 1. Ride 9 hours (yes, with the delay before we left, it was well over 9 hours) in economy. Then stand there held back by the flight attendants that 5-10 minutes for no good reason. Heck....even try for once not switching to the aisle that's moving when your side stops. :p

I am truly not understanding the pushback on this.

I truly don't understand your complaint.

You flew during NON meal hours but expect a meal??? Obviously, you didn't look at the symbols or read the fine print when you booked the flight. Airlines have primarily discontinued serving anything except maybe a soda or pretzel type snack during NON meal hours. Just because it is an overnight flight, it arrives too early for breakfast service. Airlines have found that a very large percentage of people DO NOT want served breakfast at 4AM unless it is a VERY long flight with multiple time changes. Your flight fit none of the parameters. You were supposed to leave NY about midnight. You were delayed. But there would have been no FULL catering ordered even if the flight was on time because the flight is too short AND actually arrives at about 4:30AM, NY time.

You are upset because airline policy means clear ALL of business/first before the coach passengers are allowed to disembark. LAN follows the RULES very strictly. Next time, fly another airline. You definitely should not be let off the plane until the ENTIRE front of the plane is clear.

You definitely should not be let off the plane until the ENTIRE front of the plane is clear.

Regardless of how long the last person takes? Regardless of how many people are behind waiting, some probably with connections? Tough cookies for them? Really?? That's what you're saying?

Next time, fly another airline.
You got that right.

I've seen this lots. How many minutes do you feel it delayed you? I've found more delays from people in front of me in economy needing to unload multiple, big carry-on bags from the overhead bins. I don't see how the fact that you had backpacks and wouldn't need to wait at the baggage carousel affects when you should be able to get off the plane. You still had a shorter wait. Your lecturing the attendants, who are following instructions from their airline, is not likely to get you off the plane quicker anywhere I can think of. Contact the airline's customer relations directly.

I remember how much better it was getting off the airplanes in the 80s, when people without carryons were allowed to exit the plane first, then those with carryons. Still, no need to worry, I find that we still have to wait for our checked luggage to show up at the carousel, so waiting is no big deal.

I find that we still have to wait for our checked luggage to show up at the carousel, so waiting is no big deal.

Yes, but if you don't have to wait for luggage, or have a connection, or just want off the plane it is a big deal. I have my backpack or suitcase on or in hand and I am ready to move when it's my turn to do so. I help others get their luggage down....even if they're the ones behind me. :D

Also, as long as I'm going on about myself ;), I do not deign to imagine that my particular circumstances or lack of hurry in a given situation are the same for the hundreds of other people around me.

I am getting ready to book air for a cruise and have to choose flights.

Am considering LAN LAX->LIM->SCL or AA LAX -> MAI -> SCL ( there may be another stop on the AA). The LAN flight has a stopover in LIM for 60-90 minutes. Is it likely we may be able to deplane and stretch our legs in LIM? ( flying economy)....

Thanks,

~TC

I am getting ready to book air for a cruise and have to choose flights.

Am considering LAN LAX->LIM->SCL or AA LAX -> MAI -> SCL ( there may be another stop on the AA). The LAN flight has a stopover in LIM for 60-90 minutes. Is it likely we may be able to deplane and stretch our legs in LIM? ( flying economy)....

Thanks,

~TC

Having flown that flight quite a few times (and even more JFK/LIM/SCL), all I can say is "it depends". IF the plane leaves LAX or JFK on time, about 85% of the time you can get off the plane in LIM. BUT if it is late leaving the USA, you generally are not allowed off to keep the plane on schedule.

However, you may want to reconsider getting off the plane even if you are allowed. The stop in LIM is mainly one for those getting permanently on or off. It can be a hassle to get off (particularly during certain times of the year when there are a lot of backpackers going to MP) and then you have a lot of high status fliers (primarily business travelers) getting on in LIM to SCL.

And I have seen people LEFT when they get off the plane. FA round up their stuff and stick it in the jetway. They DO NOT wait for those who got off.

Once the plane is cleared and the cleaning crew comes on as well as the catering truck arrives, you are free to get up and move about the plane as you choose. IMHO, better than standing in line to get OFF the plane, then having to line up again to get back ON the plane. I have done it both ways and wandering around the plane when they are cleaning and restocking food is far better in my opinion.

Regardless of how long the last person takes? Regardless of how many people are behind waiting, some probably with connections? Tough cookies for them? Really?? That's what you're saying?

EXACTLY what I am saying. FA will not allow a fc/business passenger to take an inordinate amount of time to get off the plane. They will "gently" help or push the passenger along. FA generally only get paid for time when the doors are closed. But 5-10 minutes?? Of course. Some people need that much time with mobility issues. Some have just too much crap that they got out on the flight. But allowing coach passengers to get off the plane before fc/business is cleared is against the rules and I applaud those FA who adhere to the rules.

I have seen coach passengers lined up to get off the plane before it is even at the gate. Yes, FA try to keep them in their seats. But it doesn't always happen. And there is nothing more irritating than coach passengers with all their carry-ons trying to push past you as you are trying to get your stuff put away or rounded up.

And getting banged on the head and shoulders with those huge backpacks and carry-ons by coach passengers has made me be one of the last to board anymore. I miss the perks that I paid for (pre flight drink, warm towels, coats hung up, etc. etc). But beats the heck out of getting "assaulted" with all the crap people take on planes anymore to avoid the checked bag fees.

Next time you fly, save your miles or money and sit up front. That would solve your problem for those that just HAVE TO GET OFF THE PLANE (for no apparent reason like a connection).

But beats the heck out of getting "assaulted" with all the crap people take on planes anymore to avoid the checked bag fees.

I'm sorry that happens to you. I know it's happened to me. I am always very careful how I travel down the aisle for exactly that reason. And I am especially careful when I have a backpack on, particularly when turning because I know my 'body' goes further back than I think it does. I try very, very hard not to have a deleterious effect on anyone else. It does happen, of course, for which I apologize personally at the time and globally now. :)

But I'm sure you don't mean to imply that economy class passengers are the only ones who carry on their luggage? Because I've certainly seen the front bins in economy filled with luggage that didn't fit in the overheads in business class. (Admittedly, more a problem on narrow-body domestics rather than the typical international wide-body.)

Finally, I have a suggestion back to you - get a window seat! No bumping. Plus a view. ;)

I think we can both agree that other people do things that intrude upon our happiness when we travel. We're both complaining about them. I am sorry yours happened.

Archived