Pet Peeves

SewMuch

I have a few, and probably will get flamed for some of them

-Long armpit hair on women

-Wifebeaters on men (got that armpit hair issue here, too)

-Way overdone makeup, especially heavy eye makeup on older women. Sorry, it doesn't make you look younger, only much older.

-Tight tank tops and short shorts on heavily obese women. Don't you have a mirror?

-White tank top undershirt, shorts, and dress shoes and socks, or worse, sandals and socks on men. Nope, not a good look.

-Underwear showing (bra straps, thongs, guys with their pants down too low, etc).

-Women who insist on calling themselves "fluffy" or a "big person." I'm sorry, you're deluding yourselves. You're fat, plain and simple, be honest about it. To me, a "big person" is someone of height, not width. If you're 200 to 300 pounds and need that extension on your airplane seat belt, you're neither fluffy or big.

Wow Laurie!

Worried about getting flamed?

Then please don't be so rude about those people who are heavy, or big, or large, or obese, or even "fluffy".

"Large" people are always painfully aware & honest when it comes to their size, and are never deluded in any way.....usually because of the comments and attitudes like yours.

-Women who insist on calling themselves "fluffy" or a "big person." I'm sorry, you're deluding yourselves. You're fat, plain and simple, be honest about it. To me, a "big person" is someone of height, not width. If you're 200 to 300 pounds and need that extension on your airplane seat belt, you're neither fluffy or big.

After four jello shots and a glass of wine I just screamed! I'm so fluffy! :D

Well I'm not quite 40 yet but unless I wear a VERY conservative formal or semi-formal there's really no way to cover the tattoo that takes up the top of my whole right shoulder! To be honest, I don't even really consider it when shopping, except if a dress cuts across it at a weird angle-because then I get stopped constantly being asked what it is, which gets annoying after the 4th or 5th time. I'd rather it just all, or nearly all show.

It's not that I don't like tattoos with evening gowns, I just think they look silly when people try to cover them with their formal wear. I have a large trinity between my shoulders so it shows with most of my evening gowns. The top also sticks over the top of most of my tshirts. If I had a nickel for every time someone tried to tuck it in because they thought it was a tag I could cruise 3 times a year. I love yours, what is it please?

It's not that I don't like tattoos with evening gowns, I just think they look silly when people try to cover them with their formal wear. I have a large trinity between my shoulders so it shows with most of my evening gowns. The top also sticks over the top of most of my tshirts. If I had a nickel for every time someone tried to tuck it in because they thought it was a tag I could cruise 3 times a year. I love yours, what is it please?

Oh, that's like strangers in the store who'll grab my shirt to get a look at the whole thing. Um?! Personal space anyone? I have a purple dragonfly that starts a couple inches to the right of my spine. Then a couple years later I added a lotus flower in reds, pinks, oranges, and yellows. It was drawn free hand and no one can ever tell it was really two pieces. Most of my work shirts cover the flower and most of the dragonfly, depending on the neckline. But when I'm off, well, it's there for a reason! No reason to hide it because some people might not approve. Especially since I'm only recently a few pounds short of deluding myself into thinking I'm "fluffy"!

Wow Laurie!

Worried about getting flamed?

Then please don't be so rude about those people who are heavy, or big, or large, or obese, or even "fluffy".

"Large" people are always painfully aware & honest when it comes to their size, and are never deluded in any way.....usually because of the comments and attitudes like yours.

Nope, not worried at all, just expected. I am 30 pounds overweight right now. I am not fluffy, I am fat. I also am working on it successfully. There is no such thing as a fluffy person, that is simply ridiculous and delusional. Every time I see someone describe themselves here on CC as "fluffy," I shake my head and laugh.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but (at least on land) a gentleman never wears a hat indoors. I imagine there is some leeway for ships officers, but in my opinion, hats shouldn't be allowed in the MDR any more than white socks with black shoes!

Just a quick blub on hat etiquette in case anyone has not already posted the subtleties of hat etiquette.

Men can wear hats indoors in atriums, hallways and at a lunch counter while eating but never in a ballroom or dinning room. They must removed their hats during prayer and national anthems. Exceptions are when it is part of a uniform or as a performers on stage, ie costume. Hats worn for religious reasons would be the exception to the removal also like turbans, scull caps, and other religious hats. Military men can salute at flags rather than remove hat if in uniform. There are a few more exceptions to this that have something to do with with insignia ball caps for military fraternal orders like VFW, but I can't remeber the details.

Women can wear feminine style hats indoors because it is considered part of their intricate hairdo. This also applied during prayer or national anthems. However if a women wears a unisex hat that is not part of her hairdo like a cowboy hat or a ball cap, she should remove it just as a man would.

There are a few more rules, but I agree that men should not wear cowboy hats or ball caps during fine dining.

1. Too sexy dresses on young girls. Someone mentioned not being over 18 and shopping in the prom section. I shop after the prom season and buy the more mature styles that hopefully some Mom was able to put the kibosh on for some daughter. I prefer the really prommy dresses on the girls going to prom, and recently just loved seeing my Nephew's prom pics with all the girls who were in very prommy ball gown styles.

2. I hate muscle shirts that expose the Moobs on men. Don't like those long arm holes.

3. Gaping Plunges. This is something that as a B- or maybe on a good day an A+ cup I have to avoid. Anytime I wear a low cut neck line I run the risk or simply not filling out the top of the dress. At the right angle if you are not careful, anyone can see all of the girls. So I have to be creative in my solutions which include tape, matching bras, and tank top camisoles under dresses that look like part of the dress.

4. Platforms. I know they are in, but I can't walk in them or wear them or even think about wearing them. I tried some on for 30 seconds and knew I would only be in for suffering and misery if I bought a pair.

My pet peeve is when people berate or belittle me for having tattoos. On our last cruise I was cornered by a woman while with my daughters and told that I was setting a terrible example. She told me my daughters were going to grow up and be trash just like their mother. I stood there an took it gracefully because everyone is entitled to their opinion and I figured this was a good learning experience for my daughters (9 & 11). My daughters were very shaken by the experience and still don't understand why I didn't defend myself. I explained that if someone felt the need to berate someone like that in a public place in front of their children nothing I could say would change her mind and it may even make the situation worse. I hope i did the right thing. BTW, my tattoo is a memorial to my MIL and is very special to me.

I am amazed at the gall of this woman, what right did she think she ad to voice this opinion to you? None of her business springs to mind, I don't have tattoo's and don't intend on having any either, but it would NEVER even cross my mind to tell someone who has that they shouldn't, disgusting behaviour, and good for you for showing the better morals xxx

Here's my take on it (from a behavioral medicine perspective, my field)

1. Fat is Fat. You can't sugar coat it, you can't make it politically correct. It's fat. If your offended by the word, then work on why you feel so upset about it. Maybe it's a wake up call to face the reality of it and take action.

2. There is no such thing as a healthy fat person. Sorry. Yes, you might be lucky to have normal blood pressure and cholesterol but that doesn't make you healthy by itself. Your fat is also putting a ton of not needed pressure on your organs, joints, feet. That is not healthy. Fact.

3. There are words that don't sound as bad as "fat", such as fluffy, plump, etc. but in the end, it's still fat.

Fashion pet peeve: Anyone who falls into this category and doesn't dress for the shape of their body. Like baggy clothes that make you look fatter. I have had some patients at work before that were some of the nicest people I've ever met but they were grossly overweight and obese. Like over 200 lbs and as high as 400 lbs. But they always wore fashionable clothes that fit well and presented themselves well.

Nope, not worried at all, just expected. I am 30 pounds overweight right now. I am not fluffy, I am fat. I also am working on it successfully. There is no such thing as a fluffy person, that is simply ridiculous and delusional. Every time I see someone describe themselves here on CC as "fluffy," I shake my head and laugh.

I don't have any pet peeves, I'm live and let live, and I'm more interested in what I'm wearing and me looking good; couldn't give a flying fig if anyone else looks good, if they don't, it's all the better that I look ROFL ;).

...but for the sake of basic dress knowledge, I think it's sad when I see adults, women especially not only not wear clothing for their size, but when they don't wear it for their shape. Accept your shape, embrace your shape whatever it is, and dress for it. It can be the difference between looking slovenly or well dressed.

If you're unsure of your shape and what suits it, ask an honest friend or your SO to help.

My pet peeve: People who are taking this fun thread which is about FASHION, and making it about people's weight and what they may or may not call themselves.

I think the reason people haven't spoken up about the recent weight shaming comments is because they don't want this thread to get shut down. It has a built in potential for people to get offensive/offended. I don't want it shut down either, but I am also not going to let comments like this go unanswered.

And yes, I am fat, and I am working on it. You can think whatever you want about fat people, but all you are doing is showing your own intolerance. You can't hate people for their own good, "delusional" or not.

I find that as I grow older (I'm 40) I'm not always sure if I'm dressing age appropriately. I'm busty so clothes look matronly on me when they are high necked. On the other hand I'm sure not everyone wants to look at me cleavage all day either.

I feel like as long as I'm making an effort to look nice, it's the best I can do.

Nobody is making fun of fat people at all. I haven't seen that on any post. There was the comment about being fluffy posted by someone and making a joke out of being delusional that fluffy isn't fat.

Really, this is a fun board. Some people are taking it way too seriously. Nobody is shaming anyone. And many people made helpful comments about dressing if you have weight challenges. If you are someone who considers yourself "fat" and your working on it, good for you. But nobody shamed anyone here.

My pet peeve: People who are taking this fun thread which is about FASHION, and making it about people's weight and what they may or may not call themselves.

I think the reason people haven't spoken up about the recent weight shaming comments is because they don't want this thread to get shut down. It has a built in potential for people to get offensive/offended. I don't want it shut down either, but I am also not going to let comments like this go unanswered.

And yes, I am fat, and I am working on it. You can think whatever you want about fat people, but all you are doing is showing your own intolerance. You can't hate people for their own good, "delusional" or not.

There is not one fat person I know who doesn't realize they are fat. There is not one fat person I know that isn't aware of the possible healthcare ramifications of being overweight. Trying to be fit as you can be regardless of their fatness is a good thing. If they choose to call themselves "fluffy", so be it. Being overweight is enough of a drain on the self-esteem without someone having to characterize themselves negatively in front of other people. Trust me, we already do enough of it when we're alone.

Not dressing for your body shape/size/type = pet peeve.

Calling yourself "fluffy" instead of "fat" in front of other people is delusional = fat shaming.

Telling people to wake up about their fatness = fat shaming.

I have had to step away from ths conversation for the moment due to lack of respect in posts...

Just like I step away from those who are close minded and pushing on me in my tangible life...

When did it become about health andnot about FASHION!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had to step away from ths conversation for the moment due to lack of respect in posts...

Just like I step away from those who are close minded and pushing on me in my tangible life...

When did it become about health andnot about FASHION!!!!!!!!!!!

Good question....I guess it went to Pet Peeve for everything?:eek:

Here's my take on it (from a behavioral medicine perspective, my field)

1. Fat is Fat. You can't sugar coat it, you can't make it politically correct. It's fat. If your offended by the word, then work on why you feel so upset about it. Maybe it's a wake up call to face the reality of it and take action.

2. There is no such thing as a healthy fat person. Sorry. Yes, you might be lucky to have normal blood pressure and cholesterol but that doesn't make you healthy by itself. Your fat is also putting a ton of not needed pressure on your organs, joints, feet. That is not healthy. Fact.

3. There are words that don't sound as bad as "fat", such as fluffy, plump, etc. but in the end, it's still fat.

Fashion pet peeve: Anyone who falls into this category and doesn't dress for the shape of their body. Like baggy clothes that make you look fatter. I have had some patients at work before that were some of the nicest people I've ever met but they were grossly overweight and obese. Like over 200 lbs and as high as 400 lbs. But they always wore fashionable clothes that fit well and presented themselves well.

No one in "behavior medicine", mental health, social work, or traditional medicine worth their credentials would or should EVER refer to a client or patient as 'fat'. The correct medical term is obese, and variants of.

I'm sorry, but I didn't mean anything when I jokingly called myself, "fluffy". I will not justify or rationalize my condition, but know wherever I go or whose ever company I'm in, I'm always well groomed and dressed appropriately.

For me, the term makes me laugh because of the children's movie, "Despicable Me." Loved it and it makes me laugh... especially at myself.

I'm sorry, but I didn't mean anything when I jokingly called myself, "fluffy". I will not justify or rationalize my condition, but know wherever I go or whose ever company I'm in, I'm always well groomed and dressed appropriately.

For me, the term makes me laugh because of the children's movie, "Despicable Me." Loved it and it makes me laugh... especially at myself.

I would think that anyone that uses the term "fluffy" is well aware of his/her body state (not delusional/in denial), and uses the term to make light of the situation.

Archived