Sea Conditions between Papeete and Auckland

Globe

Have just cancelled a cruise between N. Zealand and Australia due to the general rough Sea conditions through that region and especially with the Tasman Sea crossing. Thinking of doing this other itinerary in it's place and wondering what might be expected in these waters. The cruise would be in Feb. Has anyone done this itinerary before?

Thanks

Hi

Firstly Jan - Mar is summer below the equator so there are tropical storms during this period so you may have some rough weather.

You also need to be aware that the occassional cyclone moves around the areas of Tonga and Fiji so that creates ocean waves for many miles. The Pacific is huge and I have been on it when it so smotth and windless Albatrosses cannot even lift off.

The Tasman Sea is seems to have a bad reputation with those above the Equator. Have crossed it twice and had only 1 bad day out of 7. and that includes December.

One just needs to take the chances everything will be great but the Ocean and nature have their own rules.

I booked the Marina from Papette to Sydney a while ago simply because I figured it sure beats work, so whatever the weather conditions, it must beat minus 20 back home, so I suggest one always consider the upside rather than the gloomy potential.

If I'm reading the charts correctly at oceanweather.com, the seas are downright rough! So far, we are holding on to our reservations on the Grand Voyage of February 7, 2013---but barely...

I understand your positive outlook when you are coming from coooold weather and/or work BUT, when you are retired and living in a moderate climate area, you aren't as positive about cruising in these conditions...

The plus of this cruise is that you cover a lot of territory and you don't have to keep flying in and out of places that are far away. The downside is that the weather and seas can be inhospitable.

It can't be any worse than Valparaiso to Puerto Montt this past February. You had to hold on to the railings in the halls to stay upright and I gave up trying to do the stairs and took the elevators. A lot of people were quite sick for that one day. I fortunately was not one of them.

Looking at the current wave data, the route for Papeete Auckland is north of the bad weather - Wave heights of 2 - 10 feet. For Auckland Sydney, Coastal areas of New Zealand and Australia are similar. The only interesting weather is between New Zealand and Australia. 2 days bad weather for a 34 day trip isn't bad.

MDZ

If your sensitive to motion sickness, crytalized ginger can help and the ship usually stocks it at the bar. Of course bring your patch as backup!

Somehow the rough seas are worth being in a beautiful part of the world.

It;s funny, because we happened to be on the Seabourn a few years ago around the horn and on our way to BA with four days of stormy seas reminiscent of the Perfect Storm movie. I'm sure no matter how how we try to determine the weather before going anywhere, you just never know. What was funny was that the weather from Santiago to the southern tip of Argentina was perfect, warm, and sunny, which was not supposed to be the case, and the minute Captain Dexter said how perfect the weather had been, we got four days of.....interesting at best. I say forget predicting the weather, many have tried and all have failed.

The bottom line is that there is no way to predict more than a few days in advance, and your final payment is due 90 days in advance. Looking today is interesting but no more. I have seen beautiful days and calm seas, I have seen lousy weather and calm to moderate seas, I have seen beautiful calm days with 50 foot seas, etc. The area can go either way, and very little looking today can give you more than a hint of what is going to be the case in a year.

Archived