Sober cruisers on Victory?

traveltripper

Just dont get the friends of Dorthy mixed up with the friends of Bill W :D

Hey, I qualify for both which just means more people to meet.

Congrats on 90 days. In my early sobriety (coming up on 9 years now) I kept a lot of literature handy. I enjoyed reading all of the personal stories and it helped to be able to relate to others. Just relax and have fun. It is funny, but we chill out in our cabin a lot at night. I am not trying to necessarily stay away from anything, but I enjoy the time watching a movie or reading for awhile. I am usually too wiped out from excursions to stay up late anyway. My partner has a drink once in a while, but we have never been too much into the lounges. As I said, I am actually a bartender so I get enough of that in real life.

I was talking to someone the other day about being sober. I told him I honestly had no idea where I found the time to do all my drinking back then. There is just too much to do now. Keep it up, and report back how the cruise went.

Hey, I qualify for both which just means more people to meet.

Congrats on 90 days. In my early sobriety (coming up on 9 years now) I kept a lot of literature handy. I enjoyed reading all of the personal stories and it helped to be able to relate to others. Just relax and have fun. It is funny, but we chill out in our cabin a lot at night. I am not trying to necessarily stay away from anything, but I enjoy the time watching a movie or reading for awhile. I am usually too wiped out from excursions to stay up late anyway. My partner has a drink once in a while, but we have never been too much into the lounges. As I said, I am actually a bartender so I get enough of that in real life.

I was talking to someone the other day about being sober. I told him I honestly had no idea where I found the time to do all my drinking back then. There is just too much to do now. Keep it up, and report back how the cruise went.

My spouse drinks too, but rarely. I think he's had one beer in my 3 mos. sober. That's amazing to me. And yeah, this is a port intensive cruise so likely I'll be tired at night.

I suppose you end up pushing all the crap aside that you're supposed to do, or wanted to do, when you drink.

Edited by traveltripper

Love to hear your tips, tricks! What to do and what not, i.e. what truly was fun vs. fun for the drunks! Thanks!

oops, forgot to ask, did anyone see Friends of Bill on the Victory??

There's lots of fun things to do and it turns out that they're even more fun sober. :D They used to have rum punches right outside of the exit from the baggage area of the San Juan terminal. So be careful there. They have meetings on the ship, often sparsely attended. When I was still drinking I would see Friends of Bill W. meeting at 9 a.m. and think these were my kind of people. :cool: Didn't make one then cause I didn't know Bill or that he was my friend. The parties on the ship have virgin punches, just be sure to ask for it. Best advice is the same advice you hear over and over again..."Just don't drink." Have a great cruise.

My spouse drinks too, but rarely. I think he's had one beer in my 3 mos. sober. That's amazing to me. And yeah, this is a port intensive cruise so likely I'll be tired at night.

I suppose you end up pushing all the crap aside that you're supposed to do, or wanted to do, when you drink.

Traveltripper, Way to go on the red chip. Go to the friends of Bill W meetings & get cabin #s of female attendees. My spouse will drink maybe one glass of wine before dinner and thats all she wants. I just got back from my forth sober cruise and it was one of the best ever. I get the soda sticker on my sail & sign card. My drink of choice now is ginger ale, or fruit juice. It is great to save a pile of $$$$, remember everything I did, feel great in the mornings. The only downside is I have found out I can't dance near as good as I though I could !!!!!!

Congratulations on getting your 90 day chip!! My hubby is over 6 years sober, best present he ever gave us. He stays involved in the program, goes to meetings, is of service to other's, has a couple of sponsee's. I know all of this keeps his committment to soberiety. We've had land and cruise vacations. My DH is still a funny guy, great dancer, better husband and father too. Congrats again, have a wonderful time!!!

Traveltripper, Way to go on the red chip. Go to the friends of Bill W meetings & get cabin #s of female attendees. My spouse will drink maybe one glass of wine before dinner and thats all she wants. I just got back from my forth sober cruise and it was one of the best ever. I get the soda sticker on my sail & sign card. My drink of choice now is ginger ale, or fruit juice. It is great to save a pile of $$$$, remember everything I did, feel great in the mornings. The only downside is I have found out I can't dance near as good as I though I could !!!!!!

...if you stick to the slow ones, nobody knows! :D

My 60 days is red, this one is green. And thank you.

Funny about your dancing. I have always loved music and dancing and am looking forward to that.

Congratulations on getting your 90 day chip!! My hubby is over 6 years sober, best present he ever gave us. He stays involved in the program, goes to meetings, is of service to other's, has a couple of sponsee's. I know all of this keeps his committment to soberiety. We've had land and cruise vacations. My DH is still a funny guy, great dancer, better husband and father too. Congrats again, have a wonderful time!!!

Wow, that's great to hear about your husband. I aspire to be like him. Thanks for your well wishes and good thoughts!!

• 3 months later...

There seems to be more drinkers on a Carnival trip than others. I don't know why that is. Perhaps because the crowd is younger. Seems the perception is that a Carnival cruise is cheaper when indeed everything onboard seems more expensive.

I bring a posse of recovering folks with me all over the world and that seems to work best! I just took 48 peeps on Brilliance of the Seas to 6 countries! God is good!

Just cruise and enjoy your sobriety!! I've been on 2 cruises in recovery and they have been the best ones yet!! So nice to actually remember everything, not to worry about my bar tab, or smuggling my booze on-board.

I'm very lucky, being around alcohol and those drinking it does not bother me in the least. I honestly do not miss it, and never crave it. Sometimes our new-found sobriety can make others in our party uncomfortable about drinking around us. My DW and MIL are not alcoholics, an on our first cruise after I started living sober they were reluctant to enjoy a drink, fearing that it would be uncomfortable for me. It took a lot of convincing, but I finally got them over that.

The Bill W. meeting on the ship are probably not what you are used to in your home group. They are not as formal (no reading "How It Works" and all that), at least in my experience, but it's really great to meet others that are recovering and hear their experiences. Sometimes the times they are scheduled for are not the best, but I always make at least 2 or 3 on a 7-day cruise.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone! I'm lame, I didn't come back and post.

Well, my cruise was awesome!! I did have one or two incidents - 1) A "smoothie" stand near the port offered samples, I didn't realize they had poured rum into them. Luckily I caught it almost right away and tossed it; 2) I ordered a soda water in the club and the waiter brought a VODKA and soda drink. My husband caught it before it got to me thankfully.

I tried to attend 1 or 2 Friends of Bill W. meetings but no one came. :(

Now I know better and will make much more of an effort to get to at least 1 per day.

So now I'm 3 years sober and loving life!!

Next cruise is this year, but we are looking at Princess for a change. Happy cruising all, and thank for all of the advice!!

Love to hear your tips, tricks! What to do and what not, i.e. what truly was fun vs. fun for the drunks! Thanks!

oops, forgot to ask, did anyone see Friends of Bill on the Victory??

I am a social drinker, BUT on a cruise I like to let loose and have fun because this is what we pay for. Why do you have to call them drunks like they are bad people that are beneath you. Yes you have a few here and there that can't handle there liquor, but they are people just like you, you just choose not to drink they do.. Sorry just hate it when people label other people like they shouldn't be there..:confused:

Edited by us2swingu

Hi everyone! I'm lame, I didn't come back and post.

Well, my cruise was awesome!! I did have one or two incidents - 1) A "smoothie" stand near the port offered samples, I didn't realize they had poured rum into them. Luckily I caught it almost right away and tossed it; 2) I ordered a soda water in the club and the waiter brought a VODKA and soda drink. My husband caught it before it got to me thankfully.

I tried to attend 1 or 2 Friends of Bill W. meetings but no one came. :(

Now I know better and will make much more of an effort to get to at least 1 per day.

So now I'm 3 years sober and loving life!!

Next cruise is this year, but we are looking at Princess for a change. Happy cruising all, and thank for all of the advice!!

I started reading this thread then noticed it was from 2012. I was wondering to myself how you did. I am so glad you had a good time and you are 3 years sober. Congratulations!

You can order more water or soda through the Fun Shop to be waiting in your cabin shen you board. We did this on our last cruise because we have found it can be challenging to find our evening soda-of-choice (Caffeine Free Diet Coke) at some of the bars, so we got 12 cans, which worked out well for us and was a bit cheaper than buying them at the bars. And it also meant we didn't have to go to a bar to order a beverage.

Also remember that there is free ice tea available in the Lido buffet areas 24 hours a day. I think they also have fruit punch or maybe lemonade. Lots of folks bring their own insulated cups so they can fill up on Lido and carry their drink around the ship.

I've heard advice here before that the biggest turnout for meetings is the first day or 2, so that is the best time to make contact with like-minded folks.

Enjoy your cruise!

I am a social drinker, BUT on a cruise I like to let loose and have fun because this is what we pay for. Why do you have to call them drunks like they are bad people that are beneath you. Yes you have a few here and there that can't handle there liquor, but they are people just like you, you just choose not to drink they do.. Sorry just hate it when people label other people like they shouldn't be there..:confused:

Yeah....so sorry about that. This post is 3 years old. I had just gotten sober, and "drunks" is a term thrown around when in certain circles. It's not meant at all to be a degrading term to others who drink. I totally get that some can handle their liquor, and that's just fine with me. I can't, and it's no one's problem but my own. I was really just reaching out and hoping to find info for sober cruises. I completely apologize for any offense you read out of my post.

I started reading this thread then noticed it was from 2012. I was wondering to myself how you did. I am so glad you had a good time and you are 3 years sober. Congratulations!

Thanks Kathy!! I'm really really happy to be living a full, sober life. Thanks for the support.

You can order more water or soda through the Fun Shop to be waiting in your cabin shen you board. We did this on our last cruise because we have found it can be challenging to find our evening soda-of-choice (Caffeine Free Diet Coke) at some of the bars, so we got 12 cans, which worked out well for us and was a bit cheaper than buying them at the bars. And it also meant we didn't have to go to a bar to order a beverage.

Also remember that there is free ice tea available in the Lido buffet areas 24 hours a day. I think they also have fruit punch or maybe lemonade. Lots of folks bring their own insulated cups so they can fill up on Lido and carry their drink around the ship.

I've heard advice here before that the biggest turnout for meetings is the first day or 2, so that is the best time to make contact with like-minded folks.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks!!! Shoot, didn't realize turn out would be in the first day or 2. I showed up mid-cruise, and no one came. :(

This year I'll be ready....happy cruising!

My assessment is that the perception of all this Drunken Carnival Cruising

is way overblown and exaggerated!

- but then we're usually crashed in our cabin like old folks -by about 10:30 :D

However I don't doubt that any chaos to be had

will transpire between my bedtime and 4 a.m.

If you need to witness the drunken chaos

just stick around for the fights and other fun stuff

but you'll need to stay up 'late' for it. :)

Yeah....so sorry about that. This post is 3 years old. I had just gotten sober, and "drunks" is a term thrown around when in certain circles. It's not meant at all to be a degrading term to others who drink. I totally get that some can handle their liquor, and that's just fine with me. I can't, and it's no one's problem but my own. I was really just reaching out and hoping to find info for sober cruises. I completely apologize for any offense you read out of my post.

Unstand now thank you for that and good luck to you and congrats...

My grandmother has been a raging (in a nice way) alcholohic off and on for 60+ years. She is sober now for health reasons but has her backslides often. I am no expert on recovery but I think the community aspect is what keeps her sober when she wants to try because she doesn't want to lose face with her friends. When she does fall off the wagon unintentionally it's usually the ramifications within her AA circle that lead her back into the sober lifestyle. I'm worried she will fall off the wagon on the ship and not have the safety net of friends to pull her back in.

This intro brings me to my question...Does the sober community act when someone falls off the wagon on the ship? She won't listen to us grandkids when she drinks and to be honest, I selfishly don't want to be dragging my grandma out of a bar.