What do you love about the LEGEND?

michelle028

Going on the Legend in the summer. Tell me what you love about it and any tips/hints :) The ports are Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

Thanks in advance!

P.S I have previously been on the Triumph but that was back in 2007 so maybe some things have changed?

Hi There,

We actually just went to down to the Port of Tampa to watch the Legend sail away tonight. We go on it in 12 weeks and we needed a little cruise fix to tide us over :) It was great fun to watch everyone getting their vacation on.

We've done the Legend, Inspiration, and Valor. The Legend is just the right size...not too big, not too small. I never felt the crowds like I did on the Valor (especially with the Buffet). I really liked the forward observation deck (on #10) where I could see the stars at night. Of the 3 ships I think it had the best "artwork" to decorate the ships. The steakhouse was great too.

Wee Jimmy, who was the CD on it, was by far the best CD I've ever had. The guy we had last summer on the Valor had no personality whatsoever. Wee Jimmy always looks like he is having as much fun as everyone else and he really is a down to earth kinda guy. He made our trip on the legend that much better!

Of the stops, Roatan was by far my favorite. We did zip lining and went snorkeling at the beach. Probably the best snorkeling I've done ever.

For Belize---if you don't have an excursion don't go into the port. Its a 5 mile ride in and nothing to do (or so I've heard).

Enjoy your cruise on the legend...when do you sail?

The size, the layout, the Serenity area, the Steakhouse, the service, the friendly crew. We have sailed her 3 times now. Easy embarkation and debarkation.

Ditto:) My favorite ship so far and I loved Roatan sooooo much. We used Victor Bodden tours. We went to a local school (I set this up with the school before we went) and brought supplies. We went to see the monkeys and then to the beach for monkey la la's (yummy).

Hi There,

Of the stops, Roatan was by far my favorite. We did zip lining and went snorkeling at the beach. Probably the best snorkeling I've done ever.

For Belize---if you don't have an excursion don't go into the port. Its a 5 mile ride in and nothing to do (or so I've heard).

quote]

Great info, which beach did you snorkle at Roatan? Do you recommend a ruins tour at Belize? We'll be there second week of May and wondering about the heat in the jungle.

Going on the Legend in the summer. Tell me what you love about it and any tips/hints :) The ports are Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

Thanks in advance!

P.S I have previously been on the Triumph but that was back in 2007 so maybe some things have changed?

07/08/12,will be my 2nd time on the legend,went 10/15/11.and I love this ship, just the right size, Food was very good, went to belize the first time, I will stay on board and enjoy the ship, the next time,The shows were prety good, and yes wee jimmy was a great cd, i love to cruise,, so it would take alot for me to not enjoy cruising..enjoy and have fun

I have only gone on the Legend once but I enjoyed it. I loved the theme and Wee Jimmy was the CD which made it awesome!! Loved the balcony my parents and I had.

Do to a hurricane in the area we missed grand cayman and roatan which had dampened some of the fun but hey can't help it.

Grand Cayman had a swimming with stingrays, turtle farm, and hell tour

Belize was originally going to do cavetubing with cavetubing.com but something came up so just explored the port (really wasn't worth it)

Roatan had a cameo factory and village tour

Cozumel went on a Mayan ruin tour. Do Tulum it is soo worth the money.

They gave us Progresso to make up for the lost day and wasn't worth it, if this was on the schedule ahead of time would have booked the Chitzen Itza Mayan ruin tour. Just walked around the port really didn't feel safe (of course that is my opinion)

I will sail this ship again but at a different time of year. I hope that helped

Pam:)

Serenity deck was great but otherwise we really didn't like it much. I guess we were just spoiled from the prior years Victory cruise... It was pretty tough to beat. If you want to know any more on my why nots I'll tell you, but don't want to be reamed by our Legend lovers.

We like the layout of the ship. Food was just ok. I personally did not like the decor- too much dark wood & mirrored glass w/ gold etchings on both. Wee Jimmy was a hoot w/ his kilt. I believe they are under staffed which made lido area dirty and cluttered w/ dishes. They have a roof over lido that they could use, but never did even tho it rained very hard. Even a crew member did not understand why they didn't use it.

Just got off the Legend yesterday and they have a new CD named Kirk (or maybe Kurt?). Anyway - loved the Serenity area, although it could be bigger, and loved the layout. I agree with the other posters that it was very easy to find your way around.

Cruised Legend last year in April and had previously only been on Fantasy-class ships. We loved the Legend as it was more spacious than Fantasy-classs and did not feel as crowded. More food stations on Lido made for shorter lines (except Mongolian grill), never had a problem finding a deck chair, the Enchanted Forest was great to wander through-- felt like nobody even knew it was there!

Loved, loved Roatan. Booked private tour with Bodden and was able to explore the island doing what we wanted to do, when we wanted without being tied to a tour group.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

We too, love the Spirit Class ships, and the "Legend". We've sailed that ship 5 or 6 times, and always had a GREAT time aboard. My only complaint is that with the new comedy club taking the Firebird Lounge, they've moved Karaoke to a "stage" which is nothing more than a passageway, just outside the dining room, on deck 2. (The Atlantis Lounge) That space is totally unsuitable for that application, but I guess Karaoke took the short straw. If you don't do karaoke, you won't even notice. :p

Have a GREAT cruise aboard an excellent ship!

"SKY"

Just got back from the Legend last night. I'll be writing a longer review later, but just quickly...

- The staff are tremendous. Kirk is a great CD, Shawn is a new addition as the ACD and seems right at home in his role, and others like Dan and Peter are just super entertainment folks.

- I love the size of the ship compared to the number of passengers on board. Never had a problem finding a deck chair (even if the best spots were taken).

- It's a fairly easy ship to navigate from top to bottom.

- The karaoke isn't quite the same atmosphere as I've experienced elsewhere. It's normally in the Atlantis "Lounge", which is really just some stools at a bar and some seats in the hallway between mid-ship and the restaurant. It's not in a separate room so it's kind of an awkward set-up and was never really that busy. People would be constantly walking by as folks were trying to sing...it was just awkward for everybody.

- Out of any port to take an excursion, definitely do it in Belize!!! There is NOTHING to do there if you don't have something set-up either through Carnival or through a private tour company. But having said that, I went cave-tubing and had the time of my life in the jungles of Belize. I also heard people raving about the ruins, the zip-lining, and the ATV tours, as well. So while there isn't anything outside of the small port worth touring on foot, the excursions are well worth it.

Overall, I loved my cruise both on and off the ship and had the time of my life.

We got off the Legend last week and really loved it. We have been on the Miracle and my hubby and I really like the layout and size of the ship. It was in good shape and very clean. We experienced a very nice and friendly staff. The Steakhouse is awesome and the Serenity area is great. We stayed in a Aft Vista suite and it was our favorite.

We did the Stingray city and snorkel excursion in Grand Cayman and loved it. We loved Cozumel and went to Nachi Cocum. Highly recommend it!!

Belize is not my favorite so we just hung around. Roatan is beautiful.

Enjoy your trip.

We sailed the Legend in September 2010 and to be honest, I was terrified to go cruising! I don't know if it was the idea of being out in the middle of ocean and traveling FAR from home for the first time, or maybe the possibility of seasickness (since I'm prone to motion sickness) but I have to admit... it was the best time I have ever had! I told myself regardless that I would suck it up and do the best I could to relax since my boyfriend had enjoyed his previous cruise so much.

As soon as I stepped foot in that atrium, I was blown away and had fallen in love. Someone mentioned on here that they didn't really enjoy the dark decor... me personally, I felt it was warm and cozy. We loved walking through the ship several times a day and see things that we hadn't noticed before (it took us 2 days to find the firebird lounge, lol). Here are the things I loved about the Legend:

-Steakhouse: Gorgeous. We were able to get a seat next to the windows that made the base of the whale tail. There was a thunderstorm and it felt incredibly intimate as there was only 2 other couples on the balcony section next to us.

-Balcony: My BF had an indoor cabin his first cruise and I insisted that we get a balcony (I knew I would need fresh air). We settled on an aft balcony and I spent a good amount of time relaxing there. My BF likes to sleep in so I would sit out there with my breakfast and a book, we would enjoy a couple of cocktails out there at night, and we loved being able to watch as we pulled into Roatan.

Lido: Lots of delicious food! We pretty much ate 5 times a day. We are pretty health concious on a day to day basis so we allowed ourselves to be a bit glutenous. I was always able to find something to eat and was never disappointed.

MDR: The decor was beautiful! Unfortunately, we were seated in the Annex so we weren't able to enjoy the MDR as much as I was hoping (still made the best of it).

I could go on and on about the Legend. We are so happy that the cost for a balcony in September again was right in our price range! We cannot wait! (166 more days!!) I'm so excited that I found Cruise Critic before our next cruise. I have learned SO much and can't wait to share my cruise when we return!

I love the Legend, as people have said it's a great size but, she never feels too crowded. I'm not a massive fan of the decor, not much of a downside though - it's nice to have a change of scenery on vacation. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic rime, Tampa is a great port to sail from

I loved the serenty area.. and when its a port day, you can have your choice of loungers, chairs or couches.. also, the pool and hot tub is empty. Sea days you have to find a table by the bar, then move out to the good chairs when people leave.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee Jimmy was so funny, saw him every where, and was easy to talk too.

The Chocolate Buffet wasnt all that great.. but the one thing I did enjoy was the Dessert sushi they had that day.. cut fruits, sweet rice, it was so pretty and Nummy.

-Debbi

I was on the Legend earlier this year.

Great ship, clean except for all the tape stuck to ceiling and columns with bits of garland left on it ( must have been decroated really well for Xmas.)

VERY easy to get around, never felt crowded.

Food was just so-so, so low of service and food not hot enough in MDR ate most meals in buffet. There the food was constantly coming out so atleast it was hot.

Many quiet spots, spent many a hour in the enchanted forest area reading, as well as on upper decks. Even when I ventured to the pools to take my child for a dip it seemed less crowded.

Shows were good, live music not so good. Comedians great.

Ports:

Tampa is GREAT, we spent several days there before the cruise...Tarpon Springs, Clearwater, up to Ocala...so much timespent at local Parks and Ybor City area.

Cozumel...VERY touristy, go to the other side of the island, nice less crowded places to catch a drink and you can walk nicer more wild beaches for miles seeing no or very few people.

Grand Cayman: always seems busy, but so much to do....Historic Pedro St James, Turtle Farm where you can spend all day easily swimming with sea life and turtles then go into the pool and swim under the little water falls and go down the slide, then head to the bird aviary, nature trails, sharks etc. or beach it at 7 mile. Or go inland, visit Georgetown and eat Oxtail, stewed cowsfoot, jerk chicken at Seymours etc..

Belize, here was one of our all time favorite stops. GREAT people, great local food, we wandered into the city, hit the museum, then took a trip over the Ladyville and did the Brewery and more wandering in a smaller town. Visited a school, a true culture different than ours. Many go out to a Caye or into jungle for Ruins or tubing, which sounds fun as well.

Roatan: probably our favorite stop, hilly and lush, great people on this island, loved the interior of the island and the folks we met. Beaches are world class if your into that.

All these ports have something for everyone!

I cannot suggest your itinery or the Legend enough, the only downfall we felt was that the crew seemed unhappy and few smiles were around. We saw a few arguments by the staff in front of the passengers, but they worked hard for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived