Onboard Account Payment - Sterling or Dollars

snoozy

QM2 Transatlantic.

Can anyone tell me is it better to settle your onboard account in US dollars or pounds sterling to avoid foreign transaction fees on your credit card?

Or doesn't it make much difference.

Thanks,

Denise

QM2 Transatlantic.

Can anyone tell me is it better to settle your onboard account in US dollars or pounds sterling to avoid foreign transaction fees on your credit card?

Or doesn't it make much difference.

Thanks,

Denise

You could change £ into $s at the Post Office and then pay off all or some of your bill leaving a small amount outstanding. This is preferable to just lodging cash at the Purser's desk as you have to keep going back and paying in more to keep a positive balance on the account. As previously advised you can Google for and obtain a no fee credit card if you wish.

Don't get too hung up about no transaction fee/no commission cards. Often these cards don't give you the best rate anyway so it's somewhat sneaky of them to make those claims.

But I dont understand why you get two transaction charges ? The only way I've had this is if you withdraw cash from an on-board cash machine.

It's a shame you can't pre-pay credit from Cunard at a fixed dollar rate like you used to.

With Cunard this is not a good idea. They will not repay any credit balance at the end of the cruise.

David.

There's at least one UK credit card with no foreign transaction fees. I have it soley for foreign travel. There's probably more if you do the internet search.

On our last two Cunard voyages I took quite a few dollars and paid the majority of our on board account using whatever I had left at the end. When the credit card bill came through the exchange rate was much better than what I had paid for the currency the week before sailing (£1.58 versus $1.52 and $1.54). Exchange rates had not moved in my favour in the meantime.

I'll definately be using the card in future.

But I dont understand why you get two transaction charges ? The only way I've had this is if you withdraw cash from an on-board cash machine.

I was under the impression that there was a flat fee plus a percentage of the transaction. I know it's not much in the great scheme of things, but I would rather it was in my pocket.

With Cunard this is not a good idea. They will not repay any credit balance at the end of the cruise.

David.

The rate we used to get with Cunard was amazing. And we always bought less than we needed just to be sure that we didn't end up with any credit left.

There's at least one UK credit card with no foreign transaction fees. I have it soley for foreign travel. There's probably more if you do the internet search.

On our last two Cunard voyages I took quite a few dollars and paid the majority of our on board account using whatever I had left at the end. When the credit card bill came through the exchange rate was much better than what I had paid for the currency the week before sailing (£1.58 versus $1.52 and $1.54). Exchange rates had not moved in my favour in the meantime.

I'll definately be using the card in future.

Thanks for the information Chunky, that sounds like some good advice, I'll have a look online.

The rate we used to get with Cunard was amazing. And we always bought less than we needed just to be sure that we didn't end up with any credit left.

It was an excellent rate and I am sure that it would still exist had it not been for a few members of this board who wouldn't shut up about it. You can still prepay some cash but it is only converted at the going rate. Any excess is repaid to you at the conclusion of the trip. What isn't repaid is any unspent on board credit.

True, both complimentary (fair enough) and self funded (rip off)

David.

That is not accurate, any money that you or a friend deposits into your account that remains unspent is refunded to you. The only unspent OBC that is lost is that provided by Cunard or your Travel Agent.

Is gift credit refundable?

No, due to money laundering regulations, by law, we are unable to refund gift credit, it must be spent whilst on board.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/occasions/gift_cred

Can I pre purchase On board Credit?

Yes. This is bookable through Reservations by credit or debit card and is charged in US dollars. Please note that any unused amount is non refundable.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/onboard_credit

Is gift credit refundable?

No, due to money laundering regulations, by law, we are unable to refund gift credit, it must be spent whilst on board.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/occasions/gift_cred

Can I pre purchase On board Credit?

Yes. This is bookable through Reservations by credit or debit card and is charged in US dollars. Please note that any unused amount is non refundable.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/onboard_credit

I apologise, this must have changed quite recently as I discussed the very issue with a couple of Chief Pursers on board last year. Money laundering gets the blame for a lot of things. :eek: Not that I have ever had to worry anyway as for some reason I never have anything left.

I was under the impression that there was a flat fee plus a percentage of the transaction. I know it's not much in the great scheme of things, but I would rather it was in my pocket.

I think you should check again. I've just had a look at 3 of the big high street banks websites and they all charge around 2.5-3% but there is no flat fee for foreign transactions.

For cash advances on your CC there is a % which also has a minimum fee.

There should not be another fee, other than the %, if you settle your on-board account with a credit or debit card.

There should not be another fee, other than the %, if you settle your on-board account with a credit or debit card.

Unless Cunard do the currency conversion for you, in which case there will. I've never been asked if I want them to do the conversion, but some other lines sneak in this cunning little plan.

Mary

I apologise, this must have changed quite recently as I discussed the very issue with a couple of Chief Pursers on board last year. Money laundering gets the blame for a lot of things. :eek: Not that I have ever had to worry anyway as for some reason I never have anything left.

Has there been a recent change? I believe the aforementioned change in policy happened almost two years ago and was discussed at length on this forum at that time.

There are several threads, but this is one example: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1201918

A couple of Chief Pursers discussed a quite recent change? That's nice.

Regards,

Salacia

P.S. Another reference http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1201918&highlight=obc

Unless Cunard do the currency conversion for you, in which case there will. I've never been asked if I want them to do the conversion, but some other lines sneak in this cunning little plan.

Mary

YES!!! _ very important on cruise ships to have then charge your CC in "Their" currency - rather than "Your " currency. This way, your bank does the conversion . The other way "they" do the conversion which may be at an exchange rate of their choice ( not the rate of the day). Watch Princes carefully for this little "trick"

Barry

That is not accurate, any money that you or a friend deposits into your account that remains unspent is refunded to you. The only unspent OBC that is lost is that provided by Cunard or your Travel Agent.

Not according to Cunard Southampton where I was told self bought OBC was not refunded, and to reports on these boards from people who had lost unspent cash balances.

David.

Archived