Still Researching Med and Transatlantics

LisaH

I have posted a few questions previously but keep coming up with more and I am sure I will get more great answers.

I am still on the fence as to whether we will do a Med or TA cruise late next year or early 2014. Spring and Fall are when we can best do one based on work schedules. April, May or Oct.

My question is, are these times considered "off season" with respect to attractions and shops being open? We don't want to cruise in the summer as it is too hot in Rome and Greece so that is why we are thinking of the months mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for your continued advice. Ruby Princess is #1 right now for the Venice to Rome itin or similar.

Not sure of your itinerary in the Med without going to the Princess website and looking it up but we were in Santorini a number of years ago in mid-October and it was dead: all shops and everything were closed. Most ports are open all year round but not this one.

Regarding Med or TA, I think it really depends what you like most. Sea days or port days. The "Grand Mediterranean" is very port intensive, that is why we booked it. A TA cruise is many sea days. Some people prefer those. TA will also be less expensive regarding airfare as it involves only one European flight.

Thanks for the info so far. I think the one I was looking at on Princess started in Venice and ended in Rome...Oct 2013.

I am still not sure though as I really did not want to fly that long flight in both directions. That is why the TA was so appealing. However, if we are going to go all that way we might as well see more and not spend that time at sea crossing the pond.

:)

A couple of thoughts:

One-way air fares to Europe are ridiculous. For a TA, you may buy a round trip tix and throw half away.

Check the cruise schedule. You don't want to be in Florence on Mondays (museums closed). Sundays in Rome should be avoided depending on what you want to see. The Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel are closed.

We did a late Fall Med cruise and other than a Greek island and St Mark's Square in Venice at night, which were dead, everything was open and busy but not crazy packed. Prices are also better.

I have a great solution for you. The new Royal Princess transatlantic cruise in Oct, 2013 is extremely popular and for a good reason. You see 7 ports AND get a TA cruise all in one. On top of that this will be the first TA cruise on the Royal, but not the first cruise at all. By then the kinks will be worked out on the new ship. If you want to see just how popular this cruise is, go to the roll call for the Royal on the Oct 9th sailing. I have never seen anything like it. BTW, if this appeals to you book it asap as the ship is already filling up even though the booking only started on March 15th.:eek:

I have a great solution for you. The new Royal Princess transatlantic cruise in Oct, 2013 is extremely popular and for a good reason. You see 7 ports AND get a TA cruise all in one. On top of that this will be the first TA cruise on the Royal, but not the first cruise at all. By then the kinks will be worked out on the new ship. If you want to see just how popular this cruise is, go to the roll call for the Royal on the Oct 9th sailing. I have never seen anything like it. BTW, if this appeals to you book it asap as the ship is already filling up even though the booking only started on March 15th.:eek:

I would love this one but convincing hubby to do an 18 day might be tough. Although even if we did a 14-day we would still take extra days. This way we could fly right home from FLL.

Question: I see that Naples is the port on a Sunday. Would there still be tours to Pompeii as that is a priority. Thank you

Okay, I have a tentative hold on D211 for the TA on 10/9/13. It is a Deluxe Balcony. My TA has some group space on this cruise. We do not have to decide till Wednesday.

I want to ensure that Pompeii tours will be available on a Sunday...via a ship excursion. The mini-suites are sold out other than a guarantee basis and I don't want to book a guarantee. We are very location picky so for now it is D211. Maybe we can change cabins if anyone cancels down the road.

Okay, I have a tentative hold on D211 for the TA on 10/9/13. It is a Deluxe Balcony. My TA has some group space on this cruise. We do not have to decide till Wednesday.

I want to ensure that Pompeii tours will be available on a Sunday...via a ship excursion. The mini-suites are sold out other than a guarantee basis and I don't want to book a guarantee. We are very location picky so for now it is D211. Maybe we can change cabins if anyone cancels down the road.

Great, now you can join the fun on this roll call. Now about Pompei, go to the main boards page and scroll down to friends of cruise critic. Look for the Red hot rubies post. There you will find many shore excursions listed including Pompei. Now as of right now they are mostly booked as private tours. But we have lots of time and I'm sure other private tours will pop up. Have fun reading the posts:)

I have been on both and enjoyed the Barcelona to Venice cruise and prefer over the Rome to Rome cruise. I do love the Transatlantic more because it is not only a great value (just say 14 day transatlantic's for $499) but also you have many relaxing days days usually 5-8 across the Atlantic and then your ports. It can be as few as 2-3 ports but most have 5 or 6 ports. I do not like coming home all tired from all the ports of a Med cruise and if I had the choice I would take the transatlantic cruise. Some enjoy the ports but I enjoy both. I think 10 ports in 12 days is kind of like looking at 8-10 houses when you are house hunting; your mind gets all mixed up. I do think the Med cruise is something everyone should experience and then decide what you like best.

Be sure to look at a few TAs. The amount of ports really varies from cruise to cruise. Some have a few insignificant ports and some have several really great ports . Look at the itinerary for the April 26 TA on the Emerald this year. Fantastic!

• 1 month later...

In May 2011 on the Star Princess, we were in Naples on a Sunday and the Princess Pompeii excursion took place. Otherwise, Naples was pretty dead.

I would love this one but convincing hubby to do an 18 day might be tough. Although even if we did a 14-day we would still take extra days. This way we could fly right home from FLL.

Question: I see that Naples is the port on a Sunday. Would there still be tours to Pompeii as that is a priority. Thank you

It is unbelievably easy to do Pompeii or Herculaneum on your own, just use the search function here on cruisecritic and you'll find loads of info. We did it last year in November from Naples to Herculaneum (Pompeii is on the same line and train, and few stations further along). It will also save you a fortune compared to the ships tours.

It is unbelievably easy to do Pompeii or Herculaneum on your own, just use the search function here on cruisecritic and you'll find loads of info. We did it last year in November from Naples to Herculaneum (Pompeii is on the same line and train, and few stations further along). It will also save you a fortune compared to the ships tours.

Just have a plan B available if there is a transportation strike that day.

When doing it on your own, you will get more out of the experience by hiring a guide outside the gate before you go in.

Thanks for the info so far. I think the one I was looking at on Princess started in Venice and ended in Rome...Oct 2013.

I am still not sure though as I really did not want to fly that long flight in both directions. That is why the TA was so appealing. However, if we are going to go all that way we might as well see more and not spend that time at sea crossing the pond.

:)

We took a western Med cruise in November 15 - 21 three years ago, and it was fine - cool (but not cold) weather, sun/cloud and just a sprinkling, and the tourist sites not too busy. Everything was open, except when we took a tour from Naples to Positano, many of the hotels and restaurants and some of the shops were closed as it was the end of their season - the townspeople were busy putting up the Christmas tree :rolleyes:

Just did the grand Med during the last two weeks of May. The ports were already busy and it was all very good! As for weather, we heard the Med has April showers so we avoided that. Aside from the light rain during the morning in Rome, the weather everywhere was as good as any traveler would want. Sunny with a breeze. :-)

Be aware that the airlines now are checking for this. My TA has seen the airlines adjust the fares when people do this, either with a debit memo to the agency or charging the customer's card for the difference. (and yes, their contract of carriage allows them to do so). It's not common yet, but I suspect it will be.

A couple of thoughts:

One-way air fares to Europe are ridiculous. For a TA, you may buy a round trip tix and throw half away.

Archived