CCL ship seized?

bhanback

It's in Pacer - the federal court site where you can see filed docs. I'm a litigation secretary so I have a username/password. If I knew how to upload pics to this site, I'd upload a jpg of the dismissal order. I can email a PDF to someone if they want to upload it.

Ah. Can you do a search on the word Carnival an see if anything was re-filed? I have a hard time believing any news source would play a joke surrounding something like this where people died. Especially one where they are generally a source of decent info.

Could be someone's bad idea of an April fools released too early,I mentioned this earlier in the thread and was a bit suspicious of the reporters name?

You cant actually arrest a ship,if its property being seized then its not arrested.

Den

You have mentioned this twice now. Exactly what do you find "suspicious" about the reporter's name? And "arrest" is simply a verb, meaning to detain, prevent from further movement, etc.

Ah. Can you do a search on the word Carnival an see if anything was re-filed? I have a hard time believing any news source would play a joke surrounding something like this where people died. Especially one where they are generally a source of decent info.

Me too, it is all just weird!

You have mentioned this twice now. Exactly what do you find "suspicious" about the reporter's name? And "arrest" is simply a verb, meaning to detain, prevent from further movement, etc.

Michael Hytha Mhyta@ Looks pretty close to Myth to me!

Just a suspicion being so close to April 1 and all.

Den

Den

The email is valid, he emailed me back.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM, MICHAEL HYTHA (BLOOMBERG/ NEWSROOM:) <mhytha@bloomberg.net> wrote:

Thank you for writing. As noted in the story, the source is court documents. We will update the story as more information becomes available.

To: MICHAEL HYTHA BLOOMBERG/ NEWSROOM:

Cc: <xxx@calkins.us.com>

Subject: Carnival Triumph

Date: 3/30 2012 20:31:23

Is there any more info about this? People are calling this a sick April Fools joke (since deaths were involved) because literally no one else has reported on this. If you could update the story to include a source, that would be great.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33137918&posted=1#post33137918

And "arrest" is simply a verb, meaning to detain, prevent from further movement, etc.

And when was the last time you heard of a piece of machinery being arrested?

I suppose it happens all the time where you live,not where i live thats for sure!

Den

Den

Hmmm....I think you might be reaching a bit there. Bloomberg doesn't strike me as an organization that would launch an elaborate (and tasteless) April Fool's joke a full 26 hours before April 1.

As bizarre as it sounds initially, I think this is a case for Occam's razor. The simplest explanation here is that the article's telling the truth, and that we'll know a whole lot more in the morning.

And "arrest" is simply a verb, meaning to detain, prevent from further movement, etc.

And when was the last time you heard of a piece of machinery being arrested?

I suppose it happens all the time where you live,not where i live thats for sure!

Den

I really don't know what you're getting at. It's a word, that's what it means, and so yes, things are arrested regularly. It sounds like it's just being used in a context you don't often encounter. As another poster mentioned, it's routine language in legal documents.

I searched for additional cases and didn't see anything curious - just misc slip and fall suits, mostly filed in FL.

The only thing that is concerning is that if it was indeed refiled today, it would not show in Pacer for a day or so. However the case number referenced in the story does not match what's in Pacer.

Interesting indeed. Will be curious to see what reporter comes back with.

There is now a court case number listed, can you check it?

From the web site:

The case is Kai Stumpf v. Carnival plc, 3:12-cv-00099, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas (Galveston).

Yeah, I checked the plaintiff's last name in TX to see if something was refiled but didn't see anything right off. Will do another search and include FL. I'd think that's where any lawsuit would be filed since CCL is in Miami.

IN the meantime, I totally suck at uploading pics, so I don't know if this is going to work, but here is a screenshot that shows when it was filed (earlier this month) and the dismissal date (28th). Let me know if this doesn't come through right and/or give me instructions on how to upload.

ok really I cannot upload pics! I have it on photobucket but don't know which option to pic to link it! There are four options (direct link, html, email, img) and I don't think any of them work for me......Jesus Christ - I got it to work. Damn.

lawsuit.jpg

I searched for additional cases and didn't see anything curious - just misc slip and fall suits, mostly filed in FL.

The only thing that is concerning is that if it was indeed refiled today, it would not show in Pacer for a day or so. However the case number referenced in the story does not match what's in Pacer.

Interesting indeed. Will be curious to see what reporter comes back with.

Sorry ignore my previous post, you were checking before I could even get it on here

First let me say, I really hope these people get to sail tomorrow. I would be devastated if that happened to me!

Secondly, let me say if this is true, I hope that they still get to sail and that the bad press makes for some more price drops.

Thanks for sharing Kayhold.

You might want to edit your above post and take out some of your email with &%# etc. Bots scour forums like these looking for email addresses to spam people.

eeek I didn't even consider that! Thanks!

I really don't know what you're getting at. It's a word, that's what it means, and so yes, things are arrested regularly. It sounds like it's just being used in a context you don't often encounter. As another poster mentioned, it's routine language in legal documents.

Keep your hat on!

it was a suspicion i picked up on so close to april 1 and cant discount it totally at present.

And you encounter machinery being arrested all the time I suppose?

and would use the same term for any property being held or siezed by the courts:rolleyes:

What would happen I wonder if a thief claimed he made a "citizens arrest" on a piece of machinery lol

Den

Hey Kayhold

I checked that case number and it doesn't have anything to do with Carnival. In the picture below, the case number is just below the court information in the top center of the page.

Youre on the Northern District, but this was Southern. Could that be why?

Archived