CCL ship seized?

bhanback

For the people not wanting to wade through 700 replies:

Costa (A Carnival owned company) Concordia was owned by 2 companies on paper. Carnival plc and Utopia Cruise, Inc.

People from the Concordia who are suing are suing both Carnival and Utopia.

The only other ship that was owned on paper by BOTH of these companies (meaning they share ownership) is the Triumph.

Since the Triumph is their only joint asset, it was the only choice to seize for assets. There was nothing else to seize property-wise.

The warrant was served, Carnival said "Okay, we will put up a bond, (like when you get out of jail) give us our ship back"

That happened, and Carnival got their ship back.

The bond is held, instead of the ship, until the courts decide if money is awarded or not.

The ONLY reason it's done in the Texas federal court is because the ship happens to dock in Texas.

Right, wrong, rude, justified, doesn't matter - the fact is, this is what happened, and this is the reasoning behind it.

Best post of this thread. I think everyone should read this one and move on to another topic

Not much on this link but figured I'd upload a PDF of a screen shot if anyone wants to see it. Just two docket entries noting the hearing that was held Saturday and the oral order to the US Marshal's office to release the Triumph.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_PS2m80prRfMFFIVDVBbFNUZWk0ZFFyNlNlRlJLZw

and/or this image is the same as the link....

MinuteEntryandOralOrder.jpg

You made your point, now why don't you let Carnival's lawyers do their job. I'm sure they are a lot better at it than you are.

Wow what got your panties in a bunch..... I think Truecruiser explained it rather well and that was just plain rude

...Do you really think Carnival's lawyers are so stupid that they would not have brought it up if they thought it was important.... your personal views on venue will not change that fact... You made your point, now why don't you let Carnival's lawyers do their job. I'm sure they are a lot better at it than you are.

okay. out of your 16 posts on here, the only 3 that mention me (either directed to me or to others about me), contain nothing but personal attacks – no information and nothing to contribute to the thread. Just sheer bashing (and i see there are also a couple of more nasty ones from you to some other CC members). And despite it, I I’ve been nothing but nice to you in my replies so as to not violate community guidelines (which you have clearly done), and to not “engage” with you. :) but it is clear that in continuing to post to me -- unprovoked, unsolicited and (definitely) unwanted -- your only goal is to fight with someone. you're begging me to engage:rolleyes:, but for me, this is ending here and now, and I will be nice to you yet again in the process.

I remember your SN from years ago. I don’t believe I’ve ever had any interaction with you at all, likely because out of your 24,000+ posts, you never had anything of value to add that would have stayed in my mind. In short, you are as unimportant to me today as you have been for the past six years lmao:p. You have been a member here for long enough to know there is an “ignore” feature. If you did not wish to see my posts, you could have used it long ago, after you registered your first “complaint” on this thread, lol. You didn’t use it because you wanna argue (way too much time on your hands), and everyone sees this. If you would kindly use it now, you will never again haveta worry about seeing my posts about any subject matter -- venue or otherwise -- unless someone quotes me, in which case (as you fully know), you can skip the post.

Have a wonderful day. I will not be responding to anymore of your nasty posts. Happy cruising to you.

p.s. fellow CC members – I apologize that my reply to this poster has bumped this thread back to page 1. His posts were out of line and needed to be responded to. If I could have replied by circumventing the automatic bump, and leaving it on page 3, I absolutely would have.

okay. out of your 16 posts on here, the only 3 that mention me (either directed to me or to others about me), contain nothing but personal attacks – no information and nothing to contribute to the thread. Just sheer bashing (and i see there are also a couple of more nasty ones from you to some other CC members). And despite it, I I’ve been nothing but nice to you in my replies so as to not violate community guidelines (which you have clearly done), and to not “engage” with you. :) but it is clear that in continuing to post to me -- unprovoked, unsolicited and (definitely) unwanted -- your only goal is to fight with someone. you're begging me to engage:rolleyes:, but for me, this is ending here and now, and I will be nice to you yet again in the process.

I remember your SN from years ago. I don’t believe I’ve ever had any interaction with you at all, likely because out of your 24,000+ posts, you never had anything of value to add that would have stayed in my mind. In short, you are as unimportant to me today as you have been for the past six years lmao:p. You have been a member here for long enough to know there is an “ignore” feature. If you did not wish to see my posts, you could have used it long ago, after you registered your first “complaint” on this thread, lol. You didn’t use it because you wanna argue (way too much time on your hands), and everyone sees this. If you would kindly use it now, you will never again haveta worry about seeing my posts about any subject matter -- venue or otherwise -- unless someone quotes me, in which case (as you fully know), you can skip the post.

Have a wonderful day. I will not be responding to anymore of your nasty posts. Happy cruising to you.

p.s. fellow CC members – I apologize that my reply to this poster has bumped this thread back to page 1. His posts were out of line and needed to be responded to. If I could have replied by circumventing the automatic bump, and leaving it on page 3, I absolutely would have.

Thank you for your contributions to this thread. I agree that the attacks on you were totally out of line. Some who post here are evidently just looking for an argument, and when it is consistent, it indicates a personal problem with the individual.

I agree with the above. Why is it that people find it acceptable to be so openly rude and spiteful to a perfect stranger, simply because they dont agree? Is it ok because it isnt in person and because we are behind a computer screen, basic social rules no longer apply? Its like some (not all!!) posters' manners fly out the window as soon as they log on. Are they lacking something personally where they make themselves feel better with their hateful and demeaning posts? The sad thing is that they truly believe they are the "smart" or "clever" one, when really all they're doing is making themselves look foolish.

I've been attacked on another board a time or to by high handed know-it-alls, and it's plain exhausting. So what if your opinion is different than everyone else? Just because you disagree doesn't make you right, and same goes for the rest of us. If we all thought the exact same way, can you imagine what a boring world we would live in?

Blah!!!

Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

I agree that the attacks on you were totally out of line.

Some who post here are evidently just looking for an argument,

and when it is consistent, it indicates a personal problem with the individual.

There are two courses of action that can be undertaken, in cases like this:

* Your IGNORE List (my personal favorite!) - See User CP controls at upper left

* The Red Triangle icon at upper right of every post, wherein you can lodge a complaint with the moderators.

There's no need to put up with annoyances: just Ignore the person -forever! :D

Wow! My husband and I just got off this cruise yesterday, and I just finished reading this entire thread. We had no idea this was such a topic of conversation. We got to the port around noon and in 10 minutes were on the ship. This was our 16th cruise and by far the easiest embarkation; however, some of that was because, in hindsight, I don't think they were sure we would sail. When we walked up to the desk, all the gentleman did was give us our cards, offer us a copy of the letter that explained the situation, and wish us a good cruise. As we physically entered the ship, the crewmembers only looked at our S&S cards, but did not insert them into the machine. I remarked to my husband that that was the oddest check-in ever, but at the time did not know why. Fortunately, we left just a little late, the weather was wonderful except for a brief, strong storm Wed. that sent deck chairs flying in the air and people scurrying. Hopefully all will turn out well in this saga.

Renée

Well...I am really glad the Triumph sailed

I still do not understand WHY this ship was chosen?? Seems to have NO relation to Costa

The judge in Texas has to be an idiot...unreal

Yes, Costa Concordia was a tragedy...but I never saw an airline have it's planes arrested after a crash. This is simply stupid

I hope Carnival's lawyers squash this idiocy

Well...I am really glad the Triumph sailed

I still do not understand WHY this ship was chosen?? Seems to have NO relation to Costa

The judge in Texas has to be an idiot...unreal

Yes, Costa Concordia was a tragedy...but I never saw an airline have it's planes arrested after a crash. This is simply stupid

I hope Carnival's lawyers squash this idiocy

I am going to guess you didn't read any of the 46 pages of posts.

It was discussed at LENGTH why this ship was chosen. If you really want to know the ifs, ands, and whys, take the time and read thru some of the thread. Its all in there.

I am going to guess you didn't read any of the 46 pages of posts.

It was discussed at LENGTH why this ship was chosen. If you really want to know the ifs, ands, and whys, take the time and read thru some of the thread. Its all in there.

Not even that. A cliff's note version was posted/quoted at the top of this page that explained everything. I'll even copy paste it here....

Originally Posted by kayhold viewpost.gif

For the people not wanting to wade through 700 replies:

Costa (A Carnival owned company) Concordia was owned by 2 companies on paper. Carnival plc and Utopia Cruise, Inc.

People from the Concordia who are suing are suing both Carnival and Utopia.

The only other ship that was owned on paper by BOTH of these companies (meaning they share ownership) is the Triumph.

Since the Triumph is their only joint asset, it was the only choice to seize for assets. There was nothing else to seize property-wise.

The warrant was served, Carnival said "Okay, we will put up a bond, (like when you get out of jail) give us our ship back"

That happened, and Carnival got their ship back.

The bond is held, instead of the ship, until the courts decide if money is awarded or not.

The ONLY reason it's done in the Texas federal court is because the ship happens to dock in Texas.

Right, wrong, rude, justified, doesn't matter - the fact is, this is what happened, and this is the reasoning behind it.

When we walked up to the desk, all the gentleman did was give us our cards, offer us a copy of the letter that explained the situation, and wish us a good cruise. As we physically entered the ship, the crewmembers only looked at our S&S cards, but did not insert them into the machine. I remarked to my husband that that was the oddest check-in ever, but at the time did not know why. Fortunately, we left just a little late, the weather was wonderful except for a brief, strong storm Wed. that sent deck chairs flying in the air and people scurrying. Hopefully all will turn out well in this saga.

Renée

I'm glad you & the others were able to have the cruise you'd planned. Did you find out why the S&S cards were not put through the machine? It is what the ship uses to know who is on board - did they only look at the cards the whole cruise or just on embarkation?

Its fairly common to have a vessel siezed in cases similar to this.(lost wages, property damage, or law suits)

Ive seen $10 million dollar tugs locked by the marshalls over a $500 dollar paycheck.

The judge was correct to seccure the assest until other arrangements could be made.

The past two times I was on Triumph they did not swipe our sign and sail cards when getting on the ship. I thought it was odd myself also, but apparently they have changed the way they do boarding on Triumph. When I was on-board in December they did swipe our cards back then.

I'm glad you & the others were able to have the cruise you'd planned. Did you find out why the S&S cards were not put through the machine? It is what the ship uses to know who is on board - did they only look at the cards the whole cruise or just on embarkation?

The past two times I was on Triumph they did not swipe our sign and sail cards when getting on the ship.

I thought it was odd myself also, but apparently they have changed the way they do boarding on Triumph.

When I was on-board in December they did swipe our cards back then.

Sounds to me like Triumph's computer system might be periodically problematic?

The links I posted earlier are in fact for THIS passenger who died, in Italy, and they are in fact filed through Texas. I dont know how it is connected, but it is 100% connected somehow. It can't be a fluke because the papers are definitely filed.

As a retired poice detective with 33 years exerience, all you need in the USA to file a law suit is an attorney and the filing fee. Also why the USA has something over half of the lawyers in the world.

Archived