Epic Carnival Fantasy Review & PICS/March 23rd, 2012 Sailing

Awesome review and pics, Nancy! I just spent my whole morning reading it, and hope to start reading your 2010 review this afternoon. It looks like you all had such a great time. I really hope you get to take that December cruise.

Definitely invest in the rumrunners. We packed them in both our checked bags (just in case one ended up in the naughty room) on our last two cruises and they all got through without a hitch. They also come with their own little funnels for filling (which also works well for ports...:rolleyes:)

Again, thanks so much for the reading pleasure. Hope to run into you and the Andrew on a cruise some day! We'd love to party with you all!

Awesome review and pics, Nancy! I just spent my whole morning reading it, and hope to start reading your 2010 review this afternoon. It looks like you all had such a great time. I really hope you get to take that December cruise.

Definitely invest in the rumrunners. We packed them in both our checked bags (just in case one ended up in the naughty room) on our last two cruises and they all got through without a hitch. They also come with their own little funnels for filling (which also works well for ports...:rolleyes:)

Again, thanks so much for the reading pleasure. Hope to run into you and the Andrew on a cruise some day! We'd love to party with you all!

Thank you! We had so much fun! Cruising is definitely our favorite vacation experience.

We got a gift card at work on Administrative Professionals day and I think I will be using it to get the rum runners cruise package. We will be spreading them between our checked bags inside our shoes. :p

Oooh! I didnt even think about bringing the funnel for the ports. Great idea!

Let me know what you think of the 2010 review. It was my first review so it may seem a bit choppy with the font and what-not. :rolleyes:

I'm reading your first review right now. It's super! Love the Hemingway House cats, too! We are actually going to Key West next March on the Conquest out of New Orleans. Can't wait! I just hope it's not as hot as when y'all were there. We are supposed to do a pub crawl (right after we dock) but I want to check out the Hemingway house, too.....I may be challenged to even FIND the Hemingway House or my way back to the ship for that matter!

Thanks again for the great reviews!

I'm reading your first review right now. It's super! Love the Hemingway House cats, too! We are actually going to Key West next March on the Conquest out of New Orleans. Can't wait! I just hope it's not as hot as when y'all were there. We are supposed to do a pub crawl (right after we dock) but I want to check out the Hemingway house, too.....I may be challenged to even FIND the Hemingway House or my way back to the ship for that matter!

Thanks again for the great reviews!

LOVED Hemmingway house. It is really easy to get around Key West. Even me, with my directionally challenged self, would probably not get lost on my own. If you just keep in mind that the streets are made up as a grid you should be fine.

I wonder where Conquest will dock. If you dock at Mallory Square it will probably be easier to get your bearings. If you dock at the Outer Mole you will be taking a shuttle to a location and then begin touring the area.

My advice, check out a map ahead of time and write down directions. Or, if you are super fancy, and you have GPS on your cell phone, use that since you will still be in the U.S. and wont incur international data charges.

Have a drink or 20 on us! :D

My advice, check out a map ahead of time and write down directions. Or, if you are super fancy, and you have GPS on your cell phone, use that since you will still be in the U.S. and wont incur international data charges.

Have a drink or 20 on us! :D

Thanks for the great advice, Nancy! I will definitely go the map route. I'm a little technologically challenged at times with my cell phone and GPS! Will do on those drinks, too!! I'll toast to ya! ;)

Nancy,

I was at the Dollar Tree today with my students, and they had "rum runner" type water bottles for sale. $1 !!!! Might be an easy way to smuggle :)

I heard they had something similar at Dollar Tree. (as a sidenote, I used to be a manager for Dollar Tree for a couple of years)

I may pick a few up and roll them around in some luggage for a couple of days to see if they are "sound". Would hate to leak on someone's luggage.

Thanks for the great advice, Nancy! I will definitely go the map route. I'm a little technologically challenged at times with my cell phone and GPS! Will do on those drinks, too!! I'll toast to ya! ;)

Sweet! I too am technologically challenged (and I work in the I.T. dept!) I still mapquest my directions. :cool::rolleyes:

Sweet! I too am technologically challenged (and I work in the I.T. dept!) I still mapquest my directions. :cool::rolleyes:

Same here, I fix computers, yet still have no "smartphone" or GPS, just the old fashion Mapquest or Google maps. Too funny! (will be getting on the Fantasy in about 3 hours!)

Thanks, we are so excited! About ready to leave the house, go eat at IHOP (daughter taking us downtown wants to eat at IHOP), and get it line. Have a great week everybody!

Have a blast!!! Please write a review when you get back :)

Same here, I fix computers, yet still have no "smartphone" or GPS, just the old fashion Mapquest or Google maps. Too funny! (will be getting on the Fantasy in about 3 hours!)

Oh you are soooo lucky! I thought today was your day!

Thanks, we are so excited! About ready to leave the house, go eat at IHOP (daughter taking us downtown wants to eat at IHOP), and get it line. Have a great week everybody!

I waved at the ship on my way into Mt. Pleasant today for work and thought about ya!

Have a blast!!! Please write a review when you get back :)

Yes, write a review when you get back. Take lots of pics!

Wow, what a great review!! I literally just spent the last couple hours at work reading, opps!

I am still kind of new around here, but these reviews are my favorite. I am glad you guys were able to get away for this cruise and have such a wonderful time! You made these 5 days seem like 2 weeks. Thanks for sharing.

I did have one question for you.. and I know it was touched on a little.. but we will be in Nassau in September with our son (ekk, first time with a babe in tow = he'll be 13 months) and heard about Junkanoo Beach. Did you see any toddlers/kids there? Would you recommend it for us?

Wow, what a great review!! I literally just spent the last couple hours at work reading, opps!

I am still kind of new around here, but these reviews are my favorite. I am glad you guys were able to get away for this cruise and have such a wonderful time! You made these 5 days seem like 2 weeks. Thanks for sharing.

I did have one question for you.. and I know it was touched on a little.. but we will be in Nassau in September with our son (ekk, first time with a babe in tow = he'll be 13 months) and heard about Junkanoo Beach. Did you see any toddlers/kids there? Would you recommend it for us?

Thanks! Hope you dont get in trouble at work! :eek:

I didnt see many children there at all. You may want to go over to the Family Boards to see if anyone has suggestions for little ones. Maybe Blue Lagoon? Junkanoo (where we were) had a pretty sharp drop off. Probably not good for a little one. :o

Found a link to a thread that someone started on the Family Board about Nassau and a toddler. Hope this helps:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1250847&highlight=nassau

Edited by All4fun&fun4all
link to thread

Thanks for finding that, such a different world to be cruising with a little one. :)

I cant even imagine what cruising with a little one would be like.

I used to take my boys camping and on various trips when they were tiny. I probably would have taken them cruising if I had realized how much fun it was. I didnt realize until they were older and unruly teenagers. :rolleyes: Since they were acting up so much I couldnt justify rewarding them with a vacation of that magnitude.

Now, my oldest is 19 and in the military so I guess he has earned his trip. Maybe this year. :)

Make sure your little one gets good naps during the day and all should be well! I heard bringing a collapsable umbrella stroller is also helpful.

Now, my oldest is 19 and in the military so I guess he has earned his trip. Maybe this year.

Since your son is in the military, Carnival has a discounted rate: Book by May 31, 2012 and one military eligible guest may book up to three cabins at the reduced military rate. May be something to look into!:) We thank him for his service!

Edited by travellink

Now, my oldest is 19 and in the military so I guess he has earned his trip. Maybe this year.

Since your son is in the military, Carnival has a discounted rate: Book by May 31, 2012 and one military eligible guest may book up to three cabins at the reduced military rate. May be something to look into!:) We thank him for his service!

Awesome! Thank you for that info. He will be so pleased if he gets a chance to go. Every time we would book a new cruise he would say "You are going on another cruise without me???". :p

Got back, say and happy both (missed kids and dog).

Had a great time, great service people, good food, easy on/off, small problems that were resolved quickly. Nassau/Freeport seemed a bit shabby, worse for the wear with a lot of closed signs. Spoke with a friend in Freeport and as expected the bad economy has really hurt business all over the Bahamas. Shame but a fact of life.

Got back, say and happy both (missed kids and dog).

Had a great time, great service people, good food, easy on/off, small problems that were resolved quickly. Nassau/Freeport seemed a bit shabby, worse for the wear with a lot of closed signs. Spoke with a friend in Freeport and as expected the bad economy has really hurt business all over the Bahamas. Shame but a fact of life.

Will you be writing a review Bob?

As far as Freeport goes, the Andrew has begun his own research and says next time Dead Man's Reef or Gold Rock Beach for sure. Lucaya just isnt what it was in 2010. I want to say that after we went in 2010 there was a tropical storm or hurricane that went through there. That may explain the sandy beach area being so much smaller.

Will you be writing a review Bob?

As far as Freeport goes, the Andrew has begun his own research and says next time Dead Man's Reef or Gold Rock Beach for sure. Lucaya just isnt what it was in 2010. I want to say that after we went in 2010 there was a tropical storm or hurricane that went through there. That may explain the sandy beach area being so much smaller.

In the next day or so I am going to write a review.... Not any pics though! I could not rival your wonderful pics.

We have stayed at Our Lucaya over the years on land based vacations as well as cruises and have always enjoyed our time in the area. Now it just looked dirty and run down. It seems that for every shop open 2 have closed and the people seemed drugged. The Count Basie square would always have some sort of entertainment, even just canned music.... nothing this time.

If you feel a bit brave I would suggest renting a car, trying out Gold Rock and head over to Bishop's for some great conch fritters, fish, etc. It's a bit past GR.

Probably a crazy question, but can you look in your Fun Times and see who the leader of Karaoke was? I don't sing, but the guy that ran Karaoke last time we cruised was hilarious! Would love to see him again!

In the next day or so I am going to write a review.... Not any pics though! I could not rival your wonderful pics.

We have stayed at Our Lucaya over the years on land based vacations as well as cruises and have always enjoyed our time in the area. Now it just looked dirty and run down. It seems that for every shop open 2 have closed and the people seemed drugged. The Count Basie square would always have some sort of entertainment, even just canned music.... nothing this time.

If you feel a bit brave I would suggest renting a car, trying out Gold Rock and head over to Bishop's for some great conch fritters, fish, etc. It's a bit past GR.

Looking forward to your review.

I dont know if we would be brave enough to rent a car but perhaps a shuttle to Gold Rock or a taxi. There is no way I could drive on the wrong side of the road. :eek::p

Probably a crazy question, but can you look in your Fun Times and see who the leader of Karaoke was? I don't sing, but the guy that ran Karaoke last time we cruised was hilarious! Would love to see him again!

I can look at mine when I get back home but they change out the entertainers so often, it may not be the same person. I think the entertainers are on 6 to 8 month contracts.