Epic Carnival Fantasy Review & PICS/March 23rd, 2012 Sailing

After Sept. a ghost town???? IN MB? You have got to be kidding me. It sure doesn't seem like a ghost town when I'm trying to get somewhere. Granted it's not like summer but with the retirees here and the golfer there is ALWAYS traffic.

That is true. But when you work n the service industry...its dead. And yes there is always people who can't drive. Ugh!!! :mad:

On another note Scubagirl on the Bahamas thread has cautioned recently to stay in tourist areas and NOT to do the #10 complete round. She states that with the high unemployment crime has shot thru the roof including tourist crime. Just saying.

I'm wondering if she is saying don't do the #10 or #10A (we did #10A) or not to do it at all?

Nancy - DD and I will likely do this again in December. I've been on multiple service trips thruout US, Mexico and Belize and also like to see behind the tourist areas as long as I can do it with a modicum of safety.

Sorta freaks me out that they only have 2 posts and both are links to a product. I work in I.T. and when I see things of that nature I see red flags. That and the fact that I cant see how the product is a smuggling vessel. (yes, my dumb butt clicked on the link)

But perhaps I am paranoid. :)

I didn't click the link because it seemed suspicious, but I did google 'sneaker slipper' before I reported it just in case it was a actual cruise-related product.

just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed your cruise review!! Reminded me of the reviews I did several years ago with so many pictures- LOVED all the pictures! Really felt like we were there with you, and there were many times where I was laughing out loud and DH was looking at me like I lost my mind. :p Now I'm off to read your other one! Thanks!

On another note Scubagirl on the Bahamas thread has cautioned recently to stay in tourist areas and NOT to do the #10 complete round. She states that with the high unemployment crime has shot thru the roof including tourist crime. Just saying.

I'm wondering if she is saying don't do the #10 or #10A (we did #10A) or not to do it at all?

Her comments were that at this time leaving the tourist areas was not a good idea regardless of how. Going somewhere on the jitney that is a tourist area (Sheraton for example) is fine but riding it around the island COULD be dangerous. She was just giving a warning... if you are comfortable going places that are a bit different, possibly a bit dangerous then the ride on the jitney is a safer bet than a lot of others. Scubagirl has stated that previously "safe" (outside of normal tourist areas) places are not so right now with the rise in crime, directed at both locals and tourist. Police are in force in normal tourist areas but even there you should be on guard. The economy is down so much, a real shame. Our last visit walking downtown along the jewelry shops I noted that every shop had a guard at the door. I was "accosted" by several younger men wanting to sell me dope, I just looked at them kinda stupid and they went on to someone else. If you go anywhere near the "straw market" DO NOT accept the "free" bracelet.... as you can guess it's not free.

All4fun&fun4all - we are taking this same cruise out of Charleston end of July with my 15 year old daughter and her friend - coming from Charlotte - wanted to do it as inexpensively as possible - just a bonus trip summer trip for kids -

any recommendations on things to do in Bahamas that are NOT excursions -

just too expensive for 4 people!

thanks

Amos322, we are sailing on the Fantasy end of July as well. Sail date is the 25th. You?

Thanks!

Kelly R

just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed your cruise review!! Reminded me of the reviews I did several years ago with so many pictures- LOVED all the pictures! Really felt like we were there with you, and there were many times where I was laughing out loud and DH was looking at me like I lost my mind. :p Now I'm off to read your other one! Thanks!

Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

Really enjoyed your review and your pictures are wonderful.

Thank you! I cant wait to get a new camera so I can take pics on our 7day cruise.

Her comments were that at this time leaving the tourist areas was not a good idea regardless of how. Going somewhere on the jitney that is a tourist area (Sheraton for example) is fine but riding it around the island COULD be dangerous. She was just giving a warning... if you are comfortable going places that are a bit different, possibly a bit dangerous then the ride on the jitney is a safer bet than a lot of others. Scubagirl has stated that previously "safe" (outside of normal tourist areas) places are not so right now with the rise in crime, directed at both locals and tourist. Police are in force in normal tourist areas but even there you should be on guard. The economy is down so much, a real shame. Our last visit walking downtown along the jewelry shops I noted that every shop had a guard at the door. I was "accosted" by several younger men wanting to sell me dope, I just looked at them kinda stupid and they went on to someone else. If you go anywhere near the "straw market" DO NOT accept the "free" bracelet.... as you can guess it's not free.

Good to know. We may just end up at Junaknoo again.

What's this about a "free" bracelet....just so I know how to react if it happens to us.

What's this about a "free" bracelet....just so I know how to react if it happens to us.

It's something they have been doing at the waterfront and near the straw market for years... it's either a teen/young man or a younger girl with the same man right behind her. They try to slip a bracelet on you arm or into you hand as a "gift" then get aggressive about a "tip" or in worst case get close enough to try and lift something off you and run. It's a lot less common now with better police presence but it still happen to me in May. If someone offers you anything say NO and walk away. If going to Junkanoo I doubt you will encounter it. You are going to have so much fun in Dec., don't worry about it.

Thanks for the heads up about the jitneys - I didn't realize it had gotten so bad. Will watch closer to December on how things are.

I do try not to draw attention to myself. My philosophy is to (a) look like you don't have any money, and (b) look like no one loves you enough to pay ransom.

I've been to Nassau about 6-7 times so I know the 'free' bracelet routine. In my case it was a necklace. I played along the first time they said it was 'customary' for the recipient to give them a donation. I offered $2, they countered with $5. While taking off the necklace, I said you can have $2 or the necklace I don't care which, handed it back to them and walked away.

It's something they have been doing at the waterfront and near the straw market for years... it's either a teen/young man or a younger girl with the same man right behind her. They try to slip a bracelet on you arm or into you hand as a "gift" then get aggressive about a "tip" or in worst case get close enough to try and lift something off you and run. It's a lot less common now with better police presence but it still happen to me in May. If someone offers you anything say NO and walk away. If going to Junkanoo I doubt you will encounter it. You are going to have so much fun in Dec., don't worry about it.

This is good information. I cannot believe in all our times in Nassau, this hasnt happened to us yet. Now I will be prepared.

Thanks for the heads up about the jitneys - I didn't realize it had gotten so bad. Will watch closer to December on how things are.

I do try not to draw attention to myself. My philosophy is to (a) look like you don't have any money, and (b) look like no one loves you enough to pay ransom.

I've been to Nassau about 6-7 times so I know the 'free' bracelet routine. In my case it was a necklace. I played along the first time they said it was 'customary' for the recipient to give them a donation. I offered $2, they countered with $5. While taking off the necklace, I said you can have $2 or the necklace I don't care which, handed it back to them and walked away.

It wont be hard to look like we dont have any money because typically...we dont. LOL What do these necklaces look like anyway? Pookah shells? Beads? I better brush up on my kung fu ninja chop!

Great review!!!! I really enjoy reading your review and seeing your pics. I am glad y'all had a good time,and I can't wait until November when I go on my 1st cruise.

Thank you! You are going to fall in love with cruising. I was hooked the first moment I set foot on the ship and looked up in the atrium at all the levels and lights and sounds. I also love how after a day or so you begin to "know" the people you are cruising with. Like a small community.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ALL,

Saw this in a recent review of the Sensation:

We only chose a cruise with Freeport in the itinerary because of the overnight at Nassau that was cancelled, but we decided to go to Junkaroo Beach at Freeport after reading their website. It sounded great. It cost a bit for all of us to get there but we didn't mind because several of our party wanted to go snorkeling and Junkaroo advertised snorkeling for $20.00 and they provided gear for a bit more. Unfortunately that was a line of crap. They did have snorkeling, but they wanted $35.00 pp even with our own gear. And they had no operational bathrooms, only porta potties. It was nice to have lounge chairs to lounge in for the couple of hours we stayed but otherwise their advertisement was pretty false. I would recommend nobody waste their time and money going to this particular location.

I can't remember whether you go back to Freeport on your Dec. cruise but Junkanoo seems to have seen better days...

Hey ALL,

Saw this in a recent review of the Sensation:

We only chose a cruise with Freeport in the itinerary because of the overnight at Nassau that was cancelled, but we decided to go to Junkaroo Beach at Freeport after reading their website. It sounded great. It cost a bit for all of us to get there but we didn't mind because several of our party wanted to go snorkeling and Junkaroo advertised snorkeling for $20.00 and they provided gear for a bit more. Unfortunately that was a line of crap. They did have snorkeling, but they wanted $35.00 pp even with our own gear. And they had no operational bathrooms, only porta potties. It was nice to have lounge chairs to lounge in for the couple of hours we stayed but otherwise their advertisement was pretty false. I would recommend nobody waste their time and money going to this particular location.

I can't remember whether you go back to Freeport on your Dec. cruise but Junkanoo seems to have seen better days...

Thanks for the info. I guess next time we go, we will go to Dead Man's Reef.

Hey thanks for the posts to my little rant thread. I am really trying not to post on a thread just to say it's off topic/bad/etc so it will leave the front page. NOW with your thread I want it to stay on the first page:D

Thanks Bob! I appreciate it! :p

• 3 weeks later...
ry%3D400

Sorry for throwing a test pic in here. I am trying to help FunMelis with her pictures for her review and I couldnt find the CC post test link. Sorry...not trying to bump my review...I swear.

Ah but you DID! LOL:eek:

Still a TOP notch review...