Please post video to show noise level in atrium

Dena

There have been many comments about Celebrity being noisy. But this can be subjective. I hope someone can post a video to objectively demonstrated the current typical noise level. I don't want a Carnival type atmosphere. I would like to be able to converse with DH using a normal voice volume.

A lot depends on the activities in the area. Generally, I have no problems talking to people. But with music playing or events it can be hard. Last year on the Eclipse after dinner they had big production number in the Grand Foyer. It was like a Victorian Carnival. Lots of music, noise and fun. You can always find a quiet place on their ships if you like.

Not the atrium, but the guy in this video walks around many parts of the ship (there are other videos he's made of different deck, too). This was about a year ago, it seems, but unless the music problem has gotten much worse, it doesn't seem like a bothersome noise level.

EDIT--actually at around 1:50 or so he walks through the atrium. It sounds pretty quiet to me...

Atrium events tend to be relatively short...and in our experience, we have never heard atrium noise in our cabins. Certainly if you are in an area open to the atrium, you will hear noise...when there are events.

I don't have a video to post, but just wanted to point out that any video posted has to be taken with a grain of salt either way. I know my video camera picks up noise like crazy, even in the quietest places. Just because it seems loud on a film/tape doesn't necessarily make it so.

My 2 cents on the noise issue is that we haven't really been bothered by it, except for in the martini bar. To my husband and I, it seemed like every time we walked through the music was blaring and we hurried toward the exit. I commented to him at one point that I couldn't see how anyone could sit there and enjoy themselves with the music that loud. But again, this is subjective such as the PP stated. Never felt it an issue in any other location.

No video, but I can provide two examples from our Silhouette sailing in February:

1. Went to Cafe al Bacio after late seating one night with friends - found it very hard to hear conversation across the table.

2. Went to CellarMasters (which is a separate room with two double doors opening to atrium) again after late seating to hear the piano/string duo. This was OK until the atrium group started up. The sommelier closed one pair of doors but that was not really helpful. It felt much worse than I recall from sitting in the Mercury Champagne bar at night listening to the pianist and hearing the sounds from the next room over where they had dancing.

j

The first time I really had an issue with excessive noise was on

Millennium in January. Example, went out on the aft deck in mid

morning (after breakfast had been served but before lunch). There

were a few folks out there and when I sat down it seemed they had

music blaring from the speakers....I felt it was too loud and asked

one of the bartenders to please turn it down.....there was no need

(in my opinion) for music to be "pumping loud" outside....they did

turn it down and it made for a much more relaxing time.

Not the atrium, but the guy in this video walks around many parts of the ship (there are other videos he's made of different deck, too). This was about a year ago, it seems, but unless the music problem has gotten much worse, it doesn't seem like a bothersome noise level.

EDIT--actually at around 1:50 or so he walks through the atrium. It sounds pretty quiet to me...

Thank you! Keep them coming. I believe the policy change may have occurred after this video. Some areas seemed quiet with no Muzak, but the areas with Muzak had it playing fairly loud.

I don't have a video to post, but just wanted to point out that any video posted has to be taken with a grain of salt either way. I know my video camera picks up noise like crazy, even in the quietest places. Just because it seems loud on a film/tape doesn't necessarily make it so.

My 2 cents on the noise issue is that we haven't really been bothered by it, except for in the martini bar. To my husband and I, it seemed like every time we walked through the music was blaring and we hurried toward the exit. I commented to him at one point that I couldn't see how anyone could sit there and enjoy themselves with the music that loud. But again, this is subjective such as the PP stated. Never felt it an issue in any other location.

Good points.

No video, but I can provide two examples from our Silhouette sailing in February:

1. Went to Cafe al Bacio after late seating one night with friends - found it very hard to hear conversation across the table.

2. Went to CellarMasters (which is a separate room with two double doors opening to atrium) again after late seating to hear the piano/string duo. This was OK until the atrium group started up. The sommelier closed one pair of doors but that was not really helpful. It felt much worse than I recall from sitting in the Mercury Champagne bar at night listening to the pianist and hearing the sounds from the next room over where they had dancing.

j

Your green font is extremely hard to read.

Atrium events tend to be relatively short...and in our experience, we have never heard atrium noise in our cabins. Certainly if you are in an area open to the atrium, you will hear noise...when there are events.

Same observation.

Unless someone is walking around with a decibel meter in hand then this idea is less than useless.

You seem to have a lot of concerns. Good luck with your decision.

Is this the kind of rap music you are worried about?

I'm really looking forward to reading your review after your upcoming cruise.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. Your perspective will be, shall we say, quite different. ;)

Haha, I wasn't planning on writing a review. But, now I will try to spend 30 minutes on the laptop each evening summing up the events of the day! I will also pay special attention to music volume levels.

I can't post my .mp4 video of the dancing in the Solstice atrium lobby two years ago, but I can tell you the band does get loud here around this early evening time frame. Usually there is either some fashion show, entertainment production or dance competition and the noise level definitely reverberates to higher decks. My issue isn't so much the noise but the crowds that make it hard to move around to get a good view. I prefer the theater shows to this entertainment. To each their own.

Archived