Baltic Cruise Opinions

AEGBRG

Hi everyone.

For those of you how have been on Northern Europe cruises, can you give me your opinions on them?

We have been on three Mediterranean cruises in the past and are thinking about finally doing Northern Europe with Celebrity on the July 21st sailing on Eclipse. The ports include Brugges (Zeebrugge), Berlin (Warnemunde), Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm, and Copenhagen.

Specifically, for those of you who have done it in July, can you tell me how the weather was? Were there any days where it was warm enough to lay out by the pool? I know the weather up there can be very unpredictable, but I am hoping during a 14-day cruise there will be some days in the 70's.

Also, overall, how was it? Did you enjoy the ports? How do the ports compare to those on the Mediterranean? Is there just as much to see?

Thanks in advance. Any info would be much appreciated.

I've done a few Baltic cruises, in July, and all I can tell you is, you just can't tell about the weather. Once, the temps were the hottest in 30 years, in the high 80's. Other times, it was in the low 60's. But most likely it will be in the 70's.

It's a fantastic itinerary, different from the Med, but just as lovely. See all you can in St Petersburg. It's a wonderful city with so much to see.

I went on the Baltic Cruise with Celebrity and all I can say is It was Awesome. I would suggest trying a non ship touring company (we chose Alla) for St. Petersburg. We got to see more than most of the ship tours did. The places in SP were fascinating. We also took a ship tour to Berlin and I was humbled by everything I saw and experienced there. We went on the train, take snacks and water with you. Have a great trip.

Hi everyone.

For those of you how have been on Northern Europe cruises, can you give me your opinions on them?

We have been on three Mediterranean cruises in the past and are thinking about finally doing Northern Europe with Celebrity on the July 21st sailing on Eclipse. The ports include Brugges (Zeebrugge), Berlin (Warnemunde), Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm, and Copenhagen.

Specifically, for those of you who have done it in July, can you tell me how the weather was? Were there any days where it was warm enough to lay out by the pool? I know the weather up there can be very unpredictable, but I am hoping during a 14-day cruise there will be some days in the 70's.

Also, overall, how was it? Did you enjoy the ports? How do the ports compare to those on the Mediterranean? Is there just as much to see?

We have done 3 Baltic cruises, all in May (so that doesn't answer your question about July). Just wanted to let you know that we have had all sorts of weather from snow to sweltering! The ports are awsome! There really aren't any we didn't like. I would recommend going with a private tour in Russia (Anastasia, Alla, Red October, Denrus to name a few) which is something we only did on our last one in 2010. Handsdown beats the cruise line tours in both cost and what you are able to see and experience. Brugges is one of my absolute favorite places but all of the ports are wonderful. We like it better than the med, obviously, since we have 3 under our belt and would do it again in a heartbeat if we could afford it. Just do and see as much as you can. Our adult daughter went with us on the last one and proclaimed it her "trip of a lifetime.":)

Our Baltic cruise was in the first half of June. We started with very very cold, very very windy weather. By the time we reached St Petersburg we hit a heatwave and in Rostock it was 40C. I am sure that this was extreme but you just cannot predict the weather in the Baltic.

Sue

We cruised the Baltic in July 2010 (NCL), it was very hot and pool time was just about all the time as temps were in the high 30's to the low 40's degrees Celcius (I think around 90-100 F). Some of the places (museums, palaces) in St Petersburg do not have A/C so bring plenty of water and even a portable fan. I would imagine the tempature would be changeable from year to year. Cheers Mic:D

Hi everyone.

we did the Baltic cruise last year in June. Once into the Baltic the weather was great all the way. Excellent ports to visit all very interesting. St Petersburg, use a private company you ill see much more in a smaller group. I wouldn't recommend Alla we used them and were not 100% satisfied - long story but I think you can do better, plenty to choose from Certainly a cruise worth doing although at times it wwas hard work and we slept long and well. would not have missed this cruise though a real'must'

Agreeing about the weather with everyone. I live in Helsinki so I should know ;) It is likely that you will have some nice days. It is a long way from Belgium to Russia and weather can (and will) change from port to port.

If there is anything you'd like to know about Helsinki or Stockholm, I'll be happy to help! I live in the first one and work every other week in the second one, so I might call myself an expert :p

Hi,

We are booked on this cruise and can't wait.

We too have been on 4med cruises and one Caribbean so can't help re weather. We intend packing for all types and will have to use roof rack.

Does anyone know if Celebrity will store extra cases for you? We are normally restricted to airlines and have to pack light.

We are going to do a private tour and have posted on the roll call but have not yet decided which company to choose.

The ship is only in Bruges for 6 hours so we will do a celebrity trip but haven't found anyone to recommend any particular one. Still as long as we get some Belgium chocolate We are not going to care.

Snippu

Yes Please. We would love some help. What should we see? Any advice would be super.

Thanks.

We intend packing for all types and will have to use roof rack.

Does anyone know if Celebrity will store extra cases for you? We are normally restricted to airlines and have to pack light.

Our first cruise was to the Baltic from Dover on Constellation. The attraction of cruising for me, at that point, was being able to take unlimited luggage - and, believe me, we did! I doubt you will be taking more than we did.

Celebrity does not storge luggage for you but you can store unbelievable amounts in your stateroom. OK, we had a CC room so slightly larger than a standard stateroom but I had successfully stowed every piece of luggage away before our very experienced and helpful table-mates told us we could store cases under the bed.

Sue

The highlight of this cruise for us (several years ago) was to just be in Russia, and spend 2 days there exploring. We did all our tours with the ship, and were satisfied.

The art is incredible, and I wish we did have more time to do the museum.

One touching event was the men playing in a band on the pier, played "God Bless America" as we left the port, and continued playing until we were out of sight.

Hi everyone. For those of you how have been on Northern Europe cruises, can you give me your opinions on them? We have been on three Mediterranean cruises in the past and are thinking about finally doing Northern Europe with Celebrity on the July 21st sailing on Eclipse. The ports include Brugges (Zeebrugge), Berlin (Warnemunde), Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm, and Copenhagen. Specifically, for those of you who have done it in July, can you tell me how the weather was? Were there any days where it was warm enough to lay out by the pool? I know the weather up there can be very unpredictable, but I am hoping during a 14-day cruise there will be some days in the 70's. Also, overall, how was it? Did you enjoy the ports? How do the ports compare to those on the Mediterranean? Is there just as much to see? Thanks in advance. Any info would be much appreciated.

There's much to do, love, see and do in the Baltics, with these great ports, etc. Below are a few of my photo options to illustrate a few of the many interesting potentials there. The season is shorter in the Baltics compared to Italy, the Med, etc. Costs can be higher in some of these cities in the Baltics. We have loved this area, including doing wonderful Copenhagen twice. Agree with Grace from Kansas on Russia being the super highlight!!

Much depends on your personal interests, travel style, etc. Tell us more!! How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, food, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests

Check out many more details on the Northern Europe board at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Below is a little summary with specific weather history for each of the three major ports. Prepare for and plan on some "layering". The only thing certain is change, including cooler in the early am's and late evenings, etc. Warming up during the day. On the exact dates you be visiting, that info can be obtained by going to this below website, plugging in the location name and then going to the lower area for an earlier date to what happened there last year on that date, past averages, etc. Check out:

http://www.wunderground.com

Here are a few weather averages for these three key cities in the Baltics:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May: 59/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

St. Petersburg:

May: 59/42 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Stockholm:

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

Here's the web location for the official tourism office in Helsinki.

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/In_English/Visitor/Helsinki/Tourist_Information.iw3

Helsinki does not have the centuries of Royal heritage and architecture that you will see in Copenhagen, St. Petersburg and Stockholm. Below is one of my visuals samples for what might be of most interest there. We also did a tour outside of town to the country home for the famed Finnish architect Eliel Saarinen at Hvittrask with its buildings made of natural stones and logs from the surrounding area. He was the father of the famed American architect who designed the St. Louis Gateway Arch, Dulles and JFK TWA terminals, CBS Black Rock building, etc. In Helsinki, our tour also passed the Saarinen designed train station, Olympic Stadium, used for the 1952 Olympic Games and the statue of the "Flying Finn", runner Paavo Nurmi, and visited the park with the stainless steel monument for composer Jean Sibelius, a patriot whose most famous orchestral piece was appropriately named Finlandia. The market area is a must-see for great "walking-around" sights and options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 71,160 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 64,386 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

The historic and scenic main town square in Bruges is super scenic and has lots outdoor dining options, activity, etc. When Bruges was at its peak, it was considered the top commercial city in the world! Like Amsterdam, Bruges is sometimes referred to as the “Venice of the North". Bruges was already included in the circuit of the Flemish cloth fairs at the beginning of the 13th century. The city's entrepreneurs reached out to make economic colonies of England and Scotland's wool-producing districts. The statue of Jan Breydel and Pieter de Coninck, the leaders of the uprising against the French in 1302, can be seen on the central market square. Starting around 1500, the ship channel, which had given the city its prosperity, started silting. The city soon fell behind Antwerp as the economic flagship of the Low Countries. Its power and wealth faded after that point until tourism came to revive and bring back its past glories. The historic center of Bruges has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000.:

BrugeSquare.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard is one of the key hightlights and is handy, close to the next-door historic old town area. :

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!! Don't miss walking around here, doing the canal boat tour, etc.:

Boat.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place AND museum. It is both!:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, or Temppeliaukion Kirkko, is carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design.:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

This is a wonderful itinerary! We did a Baltic cruise on Princess three years ago and loved it. (It was in May so I can't comment about your weather). I had been to Brugges for work and loved it so much that last year on our river cruise out of Amsterdam we flew over early and spent a couple of days in Brugges. Of course, St Petersburg was amazing. We also fell in love with Tallin and thought it was very charming. If you're leaving from Copenhagen beware that it's a very expensive city. We stayed at the Marriott near Tivoli and it was a perfect location.

Our third Med cruise is next month but I loved the Baltics just as much. I hope you do it!

Wonderful Pictures, Terry in Ohio.... Now I REALLY want to revisit this Baltic area....so much to see! I may be mistaken, but isn't the July cruise during the "White Nights of Russia"? There may be some celebrations going on.

Appreciate the kind comments by Grace on my pictures. All of the credit goes to the cities and their wonderful attractions. We weren't happy in Ohio last night with Kansas winning the key NCAA Final Four game, but we have my wife's brother living there in Junction City in the middle of your state.

In late June and July, sunset are late, late, so sometimes in Russia, they will have added late night things when it is still very light during these special evenings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 64,386 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 71,160 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi,

We too have been on 4med cruises and one Caribbean so can't help re weather. We intend packing for all types and will have to use roof rack.

We are going to do a private tour and have posted on the roll call but have not yet decided which company to choose.

The ship is only in Bruges for 6 hours so we will do a celebrity trip but haven't found anyone to recommend any particular one. Still as long as we get some Belgium chocolate We are not going to care.

Snippu

Yes Please. We would love some help. What should we see? Any advice would be super.

Thanks.

For Bruges we just paid for the Celebrity transfer, which was less expensive than arranging a private transfer, and it included a guide to walk with the group into the centre of town, and also to meet you at a later designated time to walk back to the bus. Once there, with a map in hand, you really don't need a tour. It's a very manageable town to walk on your own, and is compact enough that you can see a lot in 4 or 5 hours.

Hi,

Snippu

Thanks.

You are going to love the cruise !! And have no fear...you will have have absolutely no trouble finding 2 things in particular in Brugge.....CHOCOLATE and BEER !!...NIRVANA !!:D:D

Enjoy !

Woody

We went on a Baltic cruise with Princess in late June/early July, 2010. We started in Copenhagen...an amazing city with a lot to see and do! We arrived a couple of days early to enjoy the sites...don't miss Tivoli or the Stroget or the canal cruise or Amalienborg or Rosenborg...anyway, it is a wonderful city to visit!

Helsinki, Tallinn, and Stockholm you can see mostly on your own. You may want to take the ship's bus into Helsinki as it would have been a long walk from where we ported! But they are all very walkable cities.

We took a private tour in St. Petersburg and used Anastasia travel. They did a fabulous job! We were a party of 6, and they sent a van with a driver/body guard :) and a guide. We saw so much more than the ship's tours did in the same two days! We got a much more personalized tour and a real taste of Russia from our guide and driver! I strongly urge you to use a local tour rather than the ship tour! I understand there are many options and by going on your own, you will see much more and not be "herded" with the huge ship's tours.

The weather was beautiful for us. Somewhere around the upper 60s/low 70s for most of the trip. If they have an indoor pool on your ship, you could swim, but I personally was too cool for a dip in the outdoor pool! It rained on us our day in Oslo and part of one day in St. Petersburg, but nothing we couldn't deal with with an umbrella and a light jacket! Most days, we could sit out on the deck or walking the cities and enjoy the lovely weather!

The ports are certainly well worth visiting! ENJOY!

I echo those who say that the Baltics are wonderful to visit. It is amazing to be outside at midnight and see a bright sky! We were there a few years ago in late June/early July. Be sure and pack warm rainwear as we had cold rain in several ports. It rained for 2 days in Copenhagen and we froze because we toured on foot. (We had planned to use bicycles but decided against that due to the weather.) Like the other posters, we used a private guide in St. Petersburg. We were happy (but a little embarrassed) to walk past our fellow Celebrity shipmates while they were waiting in line!

Now I REALLY want to revisit this Baltic area....so much to see! I may be mistaken, but isn't the July cruise during the "White Nights of Russia"? There may be some celebrations going on.

...well, my friend, you KNOW how to remedy this. Bwahahahaha.

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions on this thread. Really gets me excited for our Baltic cruise in July, 2013.

Cal

Helsinki is not quite as pretty as the other ports are (IMO). We do not have many old buildings or a designated "Old Town" (which are recommended to see in both Stockholm and Tallinn).

The Market Place in Helsinki is by the sea and has a lot to offer to those who like shopping. During the summer it is very busy and sells everything from fresh local foods to hand-made jewelry, wood-work, souvenirs...you name it.

The Tourist Office is on the other side of the street and they are happy to help.

The Temple church is indeed carved in a rock and it is very popular for weddings and concerts. Our Main railway station has been used as a model in many Gotham City illustrations.

If interested in historical places, the Suomenlinna fortress is easily accessible from the Market Place with a boat (20 minute ride).

It's not really a fortress anymore, but it does have beautiful buildings and it is Helsinkians favourite picnic area. Some people are lucky enough to live on this small island!

Coming to port, you'll get really nice photos of the waterfront with our two most prominent churches and the ferries that go to Stockholm and Tallinn.

If you need to talk to the locals, go for the younger people. Over 45-year olds didn't study English at school so they might not be able to understand you. If people seem rude, they are shy and embarrassed. Finns are very private people (especially the older generations) and hence not very sociable.

Have I scared you enough? ;)

Now Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cities in the world (again IMO).

It is built on islands so there is water everywhere. It is also very rich in history and has very good museums, if that's your thing.

The Royal Palace has a lot to see and the Wasa Ship Museum is also great. Stockholm has a wonderful Old Town that is small enough to see completely in a few hours. It has the Nobel Museum, lovely churches, really narrow streets and stairs and plenty of shops and cafes.

The waterfront is long, has beautiful buildings and a lot of boat sightseeing tours.

You'll get a great view of the city right across the road of the port, there's a hill and it is a nice walk to the Old Town and centre from the port.

There is a huge outdoor area called Djurgarden quite near (you can actually see it anywhere from the waterfront). It's as green as they get and it has great places to eat, an amusement park and some excellent museums.

Swedes are very approachable people and they speak English regardless of their age. They are very fond of their Royal Family and you can get great souvenirs from any shop.

If you can find the statue of the bard Evert Taube, you'll find an unbeatable view.

Hi everyone.

We were on the Eclipse for the same itinerary last July 16-30. The weather was cool and rainy in Southampton and Bruges but turned sunny with temps in the 60's and low 70's for the remainder of the cruise, except for St. Petersburg which had record temps in the mid 80's. Generally, there was no one at the outdoor pool on the entire trip. St. Petersburg was fabulous but use a private tour company to maximize your sightseeing (and at a lower cost).

Did the Baltics on the Connie almost 3 years ago - a real trip of a lifetime! Our weather was not great (mid august, cool and often rainy but Europe that year was cool and rainy all summer) - so take layers. We also used Rick Steves book for walking tours on our own (especially Talin - a fairytale city!) and Red October for St. Pete. - great experience. Check the websites for the major companies for there - all slightly different itineraries. We did not got to Brugges on that cruise but have been there twice - the "Venice" of the north and just love it --Be sure to take a canal tour, also a canal tour in Copenhagen - you can walk from the port all the way to town hall/Trivoli and take a bus back. We did find Copenhagen on the expensive side (spent 3 weeks there recently with students) but not too outrageous.

You will really love this cruise!

Archived