Ok give us the low down!

Just booked the Pacific Island escape on the Rhapsody of the Seas 2012

doing New Caledonia, Loyality Islands

any hints, ideas or tips for this cruise, tours, excursions, must sees etc and/or ship please

Travelling with a 13 yro

B&B

:confused:

You are just going to love the Rhapsody. One of our most favoured ships. Great staff, great cabins, great food, great entertainment....cannot go wrong with the Rhapsody. Fabulous reggae band near the pool, for all ages. The 13 yr old will have a ball too. Lots of action, lots of fun. Hint/tip...buy your US$ asap. Aussie dollars for most if not all the islands.

Which ports?

Jen

You are just going to love the Rhapsody. One of our most favoured ships. Great staff, great cabins, great food, great entertainment....cannot go wrong with the Rhapsody. Fabulous reggae band near the pool, for all ages. The 13 yr old will have a ball too. Lots of action, lots of fun. Hint/tip...buy your US$ asap. Aussie dollars for most if not all the islands.

Which ports?

Jen

For ports in New Caledonia (presumably Noumea plus Lifou??) you would need either Aussie dollars or Pacific francs. I wouldn't bother with US dollars.:)

For ports in New Caledonia (presumably Noumea plus Lifou??) you would need either Aussie dollars or Pacific francs. I wouldn't bother with US dollars.:)

I meant the US$ for the ship onboard expenses.....unless they are operating in aussie dollars now??? It has been a few years since we were on her:) In fact, it was the year that the aussie dollar dropped from the low nineties to the low fifties, whilst we were onboard. Lots of unhappy cruisers:eek: We got lucky, purchasing ours before they dropped.

Have they changed their onboard currency?

Jen

I meant the US$ for the ship onboard expenses.....unless they are operating in aussie dollars now??? It has been a few years since we were on her:) In fact, it was the year that the aussie dollar dropped from the low nineties to the low fifties, whilst we were onboard. Lots of unhappy cruisers:eek: We got lucky, purchasing ours before they dropped.

Have they changed their onboard currency?

Jen

Sorry - I misunderstood. I was thinking about the ports of call. If someone wants to put cash on their account instead of using a credit card, your advice is good, although I don't think we will see great volatility with the rate of the dollar in the short term - maybe a few cents difference.:)

Sorry - I misunderstood. I was thinking about the ports of call. If someone wants to put cash on their account instead of using a credit card, your advice is good, although I don't think we will see great volatility with the rate of the dollar in the short term - maybe a few cents difference.:)

Who pays by cash anymore. On board currency could be in Pacific Peso's, it matters not, even when(or if) you tip extra in cash the crew will take any currency.

Just thought of another tip/hint. They have the most beautiful, vibrant glassware for their cocktails/mocktails. When you purchase a drink, you can pay extra (by memory it was $5 or less) to keep the glass. I bought 6. They are very solid, and we use them all the time for desserts etc. Ask the bartender for the box....they keep the boxes behind the bar. If you wish to have all the same colour, then they will ring around for you. Check them out, they are beautiful.

Have you seen the video showing the refurbishment of the Rhapsody? It's worth a look. I think it's on YouTube.

We love Rhapsody and have done a few cruises on her.

My Tips:

LIFOU is great for snorkeling. Only a short walk up over the hill.

Buy walkie talkies so you can keep in touch with your 13 year old around the ship. That way nobody misses out of anything. Saves time looking for each other.

The oceanview cabins are a little smaller in some areas so if your booking one check out where the bigger ones are. I think the same goes for inside cabins as well.

Jill:)

We used cash on our cruise on the Radiance last September.For the first couple of days we were sent messages stating that it would be more convenient for us to use our credit card.We had to have a minimum of balance of $500 and from midnight onwards on the last night we couldn't buy anything.No problem for us but I could understand that it would be a problem if you liked a drink or two on the last night.

I have been buying up $US while the exchange rate has been good.

Regards Elaine.

Yes! Noumea, lifou, isle of pines

We are going just to see if our grand daughter enjoys cruising. We got such a good price we couldn't say no, so not toooo worried about the ports.

DH & I just love being on the ship anyway. DG wants to snorkle and wanted to do some south pacific islands so we thought this was the ideal cruise. We have only ever cruised Princess so was anxious to try another line.

• thanks for the heads up re: $$$$$
  • are gratuities (hotel charge) optional and/or can we pay if we like who we like & what we like or not! I know Princess has now stopped the gratuities' charge and placed it onto the total cruise cost with the opportunity to pay extra to those who provide good service-I think a better idea actually.

We will be checking out the video for sure...we watched the refurbishment of the Dawn Princess with interest...thanks

Will have a look at the glasswear. Might be a nice gift for our grand daughter to give to her mum?

Haven't worked out how we will do the onboard expences yet.

• Any ideas for best way (pros & cons)

cheers all & thanks

B&B

This is what we do re the onboard expenses on a US ship. We register with a credit card during the booking stage. First day onboard we go to purser, and place a couple of hundred dollars in US, onto our accounts. We keep topping it up as we spend. On the last day, anytime...we get printout from purser, and pay balance in US$. This way we can still have drinks, make purchases....with the small amount then being charged to the credit card. fyi, it is possibly a good idea to get a printout of your expenses from the purser every few days. Check it out incase there are added amounts you do not agree with. I had my coffee card charged twice on one cruise....they sorted it out, and refunded the money...not a problem. Do check, and keep your receipts in a small plastic zip bag for reference.

You are going to luv the Isle de Pines. Recommend the island bus tour, which is located just around from the wharf. The buses come and go all day long. Last time we were there it was AU$20...but it has prob gone up a bit by then. Fabulous to see more of the island. Clean toilets are located at the buildings down the end of the beach. This is the beach on the bay that the ship is moored. Toilets are located around the back of this building....kind of a pub/eatery. For swimming, I prefer the beach that you walk through to. Just follow the crowd.

If you wish to do a tour in Noumea....a good selection of cheap tours are located at the ship terminal. A 2hr intro tour is good value, taking you out to some of the beaches, up for a birdseye view of the ship etc. Remember that they have a siesta time. Usually between 11am and as late as 2pm, however some of the shops will still be open.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jen

Archived