Slowness of Oceania Website - Fear Not!

SageGuy

I'm sure that many of you have noticed a slowdown in the response time on the website.

Fear not it will improve soon!

I've had some excellent email exchanges with their webmaster and the issues will be fixed shortly. They are awaiting new hardware and while they had hoped to have the issues resolved over a week ago, the hardware delay has caused them some grief. Having spent nearly 40 years in IT, I certainly understand their frustration.

I'd like to publicly extend my thanks to the webmaster (who shall rename nameless) for his very quick responses to my questions and for being so forthcoming in his answers.

Great job!:D

• 3 weeks later...

It's now 4/18, and Oceania's website is still atrociously slow. So slow that it makes dialup (remember that?) seem lightning fast. I can't think of another major commerical internet site that is so slow, so consistently.

It's now 4/18, and Oceania's website is still atrociously slow. So slow that it makes dialup (remember that?) seem lightning fast. I can't think of another major commerical internet site that is so slow, so consistently.

I do not seem to have a problem

I can't think of another major commerical internet site that is so slow, so consistently.

Really?! Oh, I would love to "share" a few with you, but, hey, who has that much time? [Rhetorical question] I'm sorry you're having a problem.

I contacted them again. More technical issues but they're hoping for the upgrade to be done next week......again. I plan on watching it and will post any changes.

Sent from my GT-P1000M using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...
Gosh what are you people looking at there???

i used the site & it loaded faster than CC

Could be your ISP & the routing ...just a thought

Thanks for your "thought", but I've experienced the problem using multiple computers on diferent ISP's. If you haven't experienced the rather significant problem, that's great.

To be clear, the initial page at oceaniacruises.com loads just fine, much like most pages on the net. But as I then navigate the site, to review my booked cruise or choose excursions or food classes, the wait as the site valiantly tries to produce the right page is sometimes (most times) interminable. (I realize that it usually isn't really internminable. But waiting for 2 minutes or so for the next page to load, seems interminable.)

Thanks for your "thought", but I've experienced the problem using multiple computers on diferent ISP's. If you haven't experienced the rather significant problem, that's great.

To be clear, the initial page at oceaniacruises.com loads just fine, much like most pages on the net. But as I then navigate the site, to review my booked cruise or choose excursions or food classes, the wait as the site valiantly tries to produce the right page is sometimes (most times) interminable. (I realize that it usually isn't really internminable. But waiting for 2 minutes or so for the next page to load, seems interminable.)

Sorry you are having such bad luck with the site

Just saying it is not my experience today

I have been to a lot of the links on the site today

I do not have a current booking so maybe that is the area that is slower I cannot comment on that part of the site

Hope it improves for you soon

Lyn

Thanks for your wishes Lyn. And again, I'm not talking about using the website to shop for a cruise. I talking about using it to manage already booked cruises. It truly is frustrating in this day and age, to use a website that operates like it's still 1995. I just tried the Chrome browser (rather than internet explorer, which I had been using). The initial page loaded immediately, just as with IE. Then I entered my information to login. From the time I clicked to enter the information and login, it took the site almost two minutes to load the next page and allow the login. I then clicked the manage your cruise link, and it took 75 seconds to load the next page. From earlier posts in this thread, it appears that Oceania is aware of this problem. To me, it is inexplicable that it remains unresolved.

Thanks for your wishes Lyn. And again, I'm not talking about using the website to shop for a cruise. I talking about using it to manage already booked cruises. It truly is frustrating in this day and age, to use a website that operates like it's still 1995. I just tried the Chrome browser (rather than internet explorer, which I had been using). The initial page loaded immediately, just as with IE. Then I entered my information to login. From the time I clicked to enter the information and login, it took the site almost two minutes to load the next page and allow the login. I then clicked the manage your cruise link, and it took 75 seconds to load the next page. From earlier posts in this thread, it appears that Oceania is aware of this problem. To me, it is inexplicable that it remains unresolved.

+1

I was looking at excursions for an upcoming cruise and it is painfully slow - almost as slow as their internet on the ship, but not quite as bad :D

Must be just me but I do not have a problem ...but as I said I do not have a booking to do excursions or dinner reservations

I am using Firefox & usually clear my history & cache upon exiting the browser

good luck to all

Lyn

I have both an iMac and a Windows based computer and I run on the fastest network that Verizon provides. The Oceania website is definitely slow. I tested it by going to half a dozen other websites which require step-downs to get to specific locations on their website. All of those went very fast. There were delays of almost a minute to a bit more than a minute on Oceania's website. Suffice it to say that's annoying.

I have both an iMac and a Windows based computer and I run on the fastest network that Verizon provides. The Oceania website is definitely slow. I tested it by going to half a dozen other websites which require step-downs to get to specific locations on their website. All of those went very fast. There were delays of almost a minute to a bit more than a minute on Oceania's website. Suffice it to say that's annoying.

I agree. I was looking at my booking and reviewing shore excursions. It was very slow no matter if I was using Windows or a Mac. Plus every other website I go to was fast. I work from home in a very technical field and high speed internet is a MUST. There is nothing wrong with my network or provider. But I patiently waited for the Oceania website to load and got what I wanted eventually. But it should be fixed and I'm glad to hear it is being worked on. It is really slow.

Went to the website today, and it loaded immediately. Then attempted to login by filling in the information and clicking the login button. Waited 2 minutes and 5 seconds before the website informed me to try again because it could not load the page.

The web site has definite issues - my personal favourite is attempting to go through the "book this" process to see which rooms might be available only be sucked into an endless loop of selecting with or without airfare and NEVER actually being able to get to the next page where you select a cabin...but it's been that way on and off for a very long time.

I don't think O is unique though as many cruise lines have down right horrible web sites - seems to be the most neglected part of the operation in many cases.

Archived