2 1/2 year old sleeping arrangements

PhotoGal07

We'll be cruising next year with our then 2 1/2 year old. What do you generally do for sleeping arrangements at that age while onboard? Pack 'n play? Pull-out sofa, sleeping bag on the floor? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated?

I haven't done it, but my cousin's 3 year old slept on a pull out couch on RCI. The bed is extremely close to the floor (only the height of the mattress) which surprised me but also makes me think I'd let DS sleep on that pretty early compared to a traditional, higher off the floor bed!

What do they sleep in at home? Some cabins only have pullmans, but you could pull the mattress off and put it on the floor.

If you have a sofa, some will turn it to face the wall (unopened), so falling off is impossible!

If your child is in a real bed, then the sleep sofa will be just fine. You can get P&Ps on almost all ships, if that's what they're used to.

Currently she still sleeps in her crib, but she's only 19 months old right now, next year this time could be a whole different ball game (2 and half). Since I don't know where she'll be in terms of sleeping at home, I'm a little anxious about how we'll do things on the ship. I'm worried that she'll be too big for a pack 'n play, but not ready to stay in bed without a railing. But the turning around the sofa might work, I just want some ideas so that we're prepared for whatever comes our way.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a 2yo on a couch, you can always put them against the wall, or bring a bed rail with you in your luggage. I doubt a pack and play would work, most children that age that I know would climb out ;). I think as long as you have an option that isn't a pull down bunk you should be fine.

Put 'em on the balcony and lock the door so you can sleep in...that is my plan with our 2 year old next week. :D

Fabulous idea! I can't believe that hadn't crossed my mind. We'll just give her a sleeping bag and tell her she's camping! :p

We are cruising next month with DD who is 2 1/2 now and we will put her on the pull out sofa we will have in our balcony stateroom. There is no way she would go in a pack n play as she doesn't sleep in a crib at home (gave that up at 23 months). We will either move the sofa so it is up against a wall or our bed or ask for extra pillows. Or, as one suggested, put her on the balcony!:p

DS will be 2 1/2 when we go on our next cruise (his 1st!). He is in a toddler bed (convertible crib with half rail)

Our cabin doesn't have a pull-out sofa, we will have 2 twins that can push together and a upper berth that pulls down from the wall. We're going to take the mattress from the upper berth and put it on the floor for him.

Although the balcony idea has real merit :p

Last year (DS age 27m) We had a stateroom that had a fold out couch that became a twin bed and that's where DS slept. I was nervous about him rolling off but he did ok. We pulled up the armchair in the room with its back against the bed to act as a rail for a short stretch and took the comforter since he wasn't using blankets anyway, and extra pillows to pad the floor. He thankfully did not need any of the precautions we took.

This year, we're in a suite w/a pullout couch in the living area. We'll be looking at how the couch pulls out. I think it's a double and DS has been fine in hotels rooms in a double bed. We just put a couple extra pillows on the sides as a bumper.

Just a FYI re: kids and cribs - my huge DS (34 lbs at 2 years) has not tried to climb out of his crib or PNP. He's almost the same length as the PNP but still sleeps in it just fine. Keep it in mind as an option, even as your DD gets bigger because sometimes having them safe and contained just puts your mind at east, kwim?

We purchased this travel bed for my 2 yr old grandson for our cruise this week. It's made really nice and large enough that he won't grow out of it anytime soon. We'll also be using it when he comes to visit me and stays overnight.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kidz-Travel-Bed/1317758.uts?WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-580511

There's also a video on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7inWMzVyUDs&context=C457dc50ADvjVQa1PpcFMsVwqNzLDE7vpE9A5AAtDIWRJukTe_47s=

I'll come back after our cruise to let you know how we made out.

2134756441_intexkidztravelbed.jpg.d48ce9ba51573ed2b8da7a43d5e9059f.jpg

We cruised last June on HAL Oosterdam and our daughter was 2 during that sailing. We were in an inside cabin and she slept great in the pack in play they provided. She is almost 3 now and still sleeps in her crib (she's not a climber, I'm most thankful). Have a great time!

We use a Kidco Peapod from age 6 months through most recently last month, our daughter is 2.5 years old and still fits fine.

http://www.kidco.com/products-page/peapod-standard/p102/

It folds up to the size of a car sunshade and maybe 3" thick with the self-inflating mat. It fits well if your luggage has the top compartment (against the 'lid') where you'd put a garment bag, for example.

On our last cruise, we used a pack and play in the room but by daughter was 15 months. It was bulky and a pain to set up and down every day. At 2.5 I'd get something similar to this, or do the sofa against the wall suggestion. :) I think she'd hate a pack and play at this age...

i am not sure what ship the op is on that might help knowing. I was just on the freedom of the sea's with a 2 1/2 year old and we have a balcony room that the sofa it was a 2b186fa82f95b5e11a054118460557e7.gifD1 Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony room with a sofa bed and it worked out GREAT for her she loved it i even laid with her one night the stateroom attendant made it back in to a couch during the day and back to a bed at night during dinner. The rooms will have a 566afa6793a7b608f736a938d692cf75.gif Stateroom with sofa bed as a symbol.

• 1 month later...

The first time we went DS was 2 years old and he slept in p-n-p they provided, and it was a little bit small for him (he is very tall). The send time he just turned 3 and slept on a upper berth that pulls down from the wall. We made 2 lower twin beds into a queen. In case he would fall down, he would fall on his dad, who was sleeping under upper berth. But my son does not turn in his sleep - he sleeps on his back though whole night, so I don't worry he will roll off bed.

• 3 weeks later...

We are traveling on Oasis of the Seas with our 2.5 yr. old in October. I spoke to Royal Caribbean about sleeping arrangements and was told there are bed rails available for the fold out sofa bed. We can request them from our stateroom attendant when we board.

Ready bed, inflatable bed with higher sides and sleeping bag attached, fits into hand luggage we used this on cruise and also in Mexico from age 2- 3 wit our daughter

Archived