Need Alaska Cruise/Tour advice

sugarcharlie

I've just returned from a great cruise aboard the Eurodam and loved HAL.

Now I would like to plan an Alaskan trip and need advice. I'm mid 60's and occasionally have back problems but would like to do and see as much as possible. Prefer leaving and returning from the same port as I will be flying in from Chicago to board. Previous threads have indicated May and September as good choices for various reasons. I am not bound by any time constraints. I enjoyed the alternate dining venues aboard Eurodam and the relative "newness" of the ship. Don't know whether a veranda is necessary for Alaska or whether most viewing can be done from one of the public decks. Any comments or suggestions on the ship to take, the tour aspect, RR experience, lodge etc would be most appreciated. If I just take the cruise will I get off wishing I had done a land portion to the Lodge and Glacier? These are things I need to know as I doubt that I will be doing this trip again, but then again who knows? I've heard some folks say they have cruised Alaska numerous times.

Thanks in advance for your help.

What do you want to see/do?

Salmon spawning - lots of bears?

At a minimum, I'd suggest only going on an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay...

I guess my advice is to figure out what is important to you & work your way back to ship/dates.

(FWIW - we chose HAL Volendam - small ship, round trip, & it visits Glacier Bay. Leaving on a Wednesday is just a bonus!)

First some questions/comments.... how long do you want to be gone? You stated that you wanted to start and return from the same port. If you want to do a Cruise Tour with the Land portion that is really not an option unless you do a B2B with the cruise tour sandwiched between. That would then be 18+days

You also stated you did not think you needed a balcony, I must say that I think the balcony is far more important , used and needed in Alaska:) We have cruised to Alaska 8 times with number 9 coming up very soon and we have always used our balcony far more in Alaska than any other itinerary. There is so much to see in Alaska, you stated you are looking at May. The day light hours are very long, in many of our May Alaska cruises we have spent a lot of time out on our balcony at 10pm at night watching the whales. That seems to be a time they are quite active ;)

Yes I am one that has done numerous Alaska cruises but have never done a Land Tour but know plenty that have. If you have a back problem I have to admit I am not so sure I would recommend the land portion. I do think if you take a cruise that includes Glacier Bay ( and you take advantage of some of the excursions that are offered you will see almost everything you are wanting to see in a 7 day or even more if you take the 14 day on the Amsterdam this year.

I've just returned from a great cruise aboard the Eurodam and loved HAL.

Now I would like to plan an Alaskan trip and need advice. I'm mid 60's and occasionally have back problems but would like to do and see as much as possible. Prefer leaving and returning from the same port as I will be flying in from Chicago to board. Previous threads have indicated May and September as good choices for various reasons. I am not bound by any time constraints. I enjoyed the alternate dining venues aboard Eurodam and the relative "newness" of the ship. Don't know whether a veranda is necessary for Alaska or whether most viewing can be done from one of the public decks. Any comments or suggestions on the ship to take, the tour aspect, RR experience, lodge etc would be most appreciated. If I just take the cruise will I get off wishing I had done a land portion to the Lodge and Glacier? These are things I need to know as I doubt that I will be doing this trip again, but then again who knows? I've heard some folks say they have cruised Alaska numerous times.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have had two cruises to Alaska and loved both of them - Both of them in September and like this because there are less children (school had already started) and both ships were smaller (1200 or less passengers). We liked this better.

You can leave out of Chicago and fly directly into Seattle, so the cruise all depends on the itinerary that you chose and whether or not you want to do round trip or one way. Which ever suits you is what is most important.

Our first cruise was on the Westerdam and we had a verandah. We loved it - especially because we get up early and had our morning coffee out on the verandah and watched the scenery - saw whales and dolphins - and BEAUTIFUL sunrises.

The second cruise was on the Rotterdam - we got a Lanai room and still had easy access to the promenade deck and our own private deck chairs. Both were wonderful cabins and we enjoyed both.

We enjoyed both ships - we went HAL because of the reputation HAL has regarding customer service and happy ships. That was what we wanted. We were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of both. The Rotterdam had just been refitted and everything about her was beautiful. It all depends on your taste. Would suggest that you check out the HAL website and veiw the photos that are posted with each ship. We are going back again - this coming September - and taking the 14 day cruise out of Seattle (round trip) because we wanted to see more of the northern ports of Alaska. We have been advised that this year is the last year HAL will be offering this particular itinerary and wanted to be sure that we did not miss them. At the same time, the 14 day cruise will take us to Hubbard Glacier and the Tracy Arm Straits.

The rest of the itinerary depends on what you enjoy. There are activities of every kind - going from fishing, wildlife, whale watching, or the more sedate activities including touring various totem parks and cultural centers that are preserving the Native Alaskan culture and well and helping preserve the early Russian influence on the Alaskan region. There are so many things to do, that it makes it very difficult to decide. That is why we keep going back - we want to see what we missed on the first ones.

When you do decide which ship and itinerary you will be taking - I am positive that you will have a great time. Be sure to get signed up on the Roll Call - that way you can connect with fellow cc'r who will be on the same cruise. That is a great resource.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Thanks for the quick response and helpful answers. Yes I will do the roll call. I started one for my Eurodam cruise on March 24th and had over 2000 views, 200 posts, and a fun M&G!

On HALs website I saw some Alaska cruise tours that are seven days, leaving from Seattle and including the train and park tours. They return to Seattle by plane so that I can do a Chicago - Seattle round trip. The airfare from Alaska back to Seattle is included in the fare.

I also noticed the ships are fairly old so it was good to know which ones have been retrofitted and updated. Just off the Eurodam which is less than four years old and everything was like new. I know the Alaska ships are smaller and older but am hoping for a similar experience as far as service and dining choices.

I'll keep looking for your advice, so please keep the info coming!

Thanks for the quick response and helpful answers. Yes I will do the roll call. I started one for my Eurodam cruise on March 24th and had over 2000 views, 200 posts, and a fun M&G!

On HALs website I saw some Alaska cruise tours that are seven days, leaving from Seattle and including the train and park tours. They return to Seattle by plane so that I can do a Chicago - Seattle round trip. The airfare from Alaska back to Seattle is included in the fare.

I also noticed the ships are fairly old so it was good to know which ones have been retrofitted and updated. Just off the Eurodam which is less than four years old and everything was like new. I know the Alaska ships are smaller and older but am hoping for a similar experience as far as service and dining choices.

I'll keep looking for your advice, so please keep the info coming!

This peaked my curiousity and so I did a little research. Here are the years the ship was put into service and the year they were refurbished or refitted.

Amsterdam 2004 N/A

Zuiderdam 2002 2005

Oosterdam 2004 2006

Zaandam 1999 2005

Volendam 1999 2005

Statendam 1993 2005

Westerdam 2004 N/A

Before we booked any of our cruises, we went into the customer review sections and read all that were applicable to the ones we were interest in. Read everyone's and weighed the negatives and positives against each other and this has helped us decide that we will continue to cruise with HAL.

Just hope we are being a help and not a hinderance.;)

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

I researched our Alaskan cruise extensively for literally years before finally realizing our dream. My favorite itinerary (and chosen one) was the Zuiderdam sailing out of Vancouver which included not only the Inside Passage (cruises out of Seattle take the outside passage into the ocean, a lot bumpier), Tracey Arm, and Glacier bay!

We had a fabulous time, needless to say! I do advise getting a balcony, even if it means finding a roomate! We spent nearly the entire cruise out on ours, the scenery on this cruise is nothing short of spiritual.

About tours, skip the helicopter and the dogsledding and instead rent a car in Skagway to drive the Yukon trail, now that was magical! (bring the passport as this trail goes over the border to Canada)

Good luck, let us know which one you choose :)

P.S. This cruise is so fabulous, you almost don't need ANY tours, in my opinion

I also recommend leaving from Vancouver because of the route between Vancouver Island and the mainland. It is beautiful. If you want to fly to Seattle because it is less expensive than flying to Vancouver, there are options to get to Vancouver through HAL or privately.

Whether or not you do a land tour depends on if you think you may go back. If this is your one and only opportunity to see Alaska, then do a land tour.

I don't know the nature of your back issues but I also have a back problem due to a car accident almost 20 years ago now. For the land portion, you're in motorcoaches which are quite comfortable, and HAL handles all of your luggage. You'll only have to lift it within your hotel room each night and morning, if you choose to use the luggage rack in the room. You will have to carry any carry-ons yourself.

If I were to do it again, I would do the land tour first and then the cruise (unless you cruise up, do land tour and then cruise back). It was my first cruise ever and the land tour, while very nice, was a bit of a come down after being spoiled on the cruise!! You can also use the cruise to rest up after the tour.

I've heard that April, May and June are the driest months in Alaska. I've been twice in May and once in June, we didn't have much rain except the last time, in Juneau. In June, 2006, we were in Dawson City, Yukon, on June 21st (the longest day of the year). It was nice and sunny. I took a book outdoors at midnight to read (just a bit) in natural daylight - just so I could say that I did!

I highly recommend Glacier Bay. Haven't been to Hubbard Glacier yet but some on the boards like it better than GB. College Fjord is nice (low cloud cover when I was there; I'm sure it's better on a beautiful day) and Tracy Arm has some spectacular scenery.

I did have a balcony one time. It was lovely. However, you do get more expansive vistas on public decks. IMO, if you have a budget to stick to, then save the money on the stateroom and use it on the excursions.

There will be lots of information on the Alaska board, too. Good Luck with your planning!

If possible, a cruise with Sitka as a port of call is well worth it. sitka hasn't been overrun by chain tourist stores. It is a tender port, but once a shore you can do much of the town and museum on foot. We took a native run tour that was at the dock and it was fabulous.

Archived