new people joined our table on week two,

at their first diner they ate everything, and then asked for cheese, fruit, etc

I spoke to my waiter and said time for some fun,

what ever these folks order given them double amounts,

so to diner, the next night and they went throught the every item,

next night a word with the waiter again, triple amounts,

so we sit down our plates arrive normal size our table mates arrive

stacked high, they ask why ours are so small and we explain that we are

not wanting much , and yes they get stuck in but they have to give in and can not clean their plates,

at the end they asked if they could have smaller amounts the next night

we never told them what we did, but they did stop asking for ever option they could have.

yours Shogun

why on Earth did you think you had the right to do this? But more importantly..why would the idiot waiter even listen to you and do what you asked?

oh I get it...this is a joke post.

All this just reminded me of a trad dining experience I had several cruises ago, it was the first dinner and the guy sitting on my right talked to the lady on my left during most of dinner - I was piggy in the middle - I thought it rather rude the way he leaned over my food but what I found really not very nice was that he had an excess saliva problem, quite a bit of which ended up on my food.

I did not eat much that dinner, and went to anytime dining for the rest of the cruise.

Maybe you should have offered to switch places. :D Unless that guy was also talking to the person to the right of him. Did the others sitting at the same table notice about the saliva issue? Sometimes you just lose either way.

I was looking over the sample menus for the main dining room and have some questions about portions. It seems like a lot of food that is offered. If you are unable to finish your portion and you like the dish will the staff give you a take home container for your room.

Thanks. I have found this board very helpful in our planning.

In 2002 on Dawn Princess, as an appetizer my wife and I ordered a vegetarian pizza, with goat cheese and mushrooms. The pizza was fantastic and HUGE, but as we could only eat about half each, so we asked the waiter if he could put the rest in a 'doggy bag',and he said that he would.

Of coarse, when we left the dining room we forgot all about it, however much later in the evening as we returned to our cabin my wife said, "I would just love to have the rest of that pizza". I opened the door, and, on the bed were two little boxes with pizza inside.

I seldom tip, over and above what is required, but our waiter went home a little happier, it was also his last cruise on an eight month contract.

john

is the shrimp cocktail on Princess good? what size? What kind of sauce?

Is it like the type of Shrimp Cocktail one would expect in a steakhouse? albeit sized accordingly for a cruise ship:D

My wife orders it as her appetizer just about every night. You get 4 or 5 medium sized shrimp in a steel cup with red shrimp cocktail dipping sauce. I thought I had a photo of it, but can't find it.

My wife orders it as her appetizer just about every night. You get 4 or 5 medium sized shrimp in a steel cup with red shrimp cocktail dipping sauce. I thought I had a photo of it, but can't find it.

Here's one...not the best picture, but representative..

6020759929_25555d860a_z.jpg

Shrimp Cocktail by RickEk, on Flickr

Maybe you should have offered to switch places. :D Unless that guy was also talking to the person to the right of him. Did the others sitting at the same table notice about the saliva issue? Sometimes you just lose either way.

Somewhat difficult to suggest moving, the lady on my left was my significant other and everyone would have thought it odd I wanted to move away from sitting next to her - also she would then have got the "benefit" of the spit and would have given me a welldeserved hard time afterwards.

We usually only order 3 courses, an appetizer, a salad or soup and the entree. That is about just right with the portions they serve. I've also asked for two appetizers and an entree, or any combination thereof. We seldom eat dessert and try to stay away from the bread basket, too.

There comes a point on every cruise where my husband and I look at each other and say, "Do we REALLY have to eat again?" The novelty of the meals wears off quickly for us.

In 2002 on Dawn Princess, as an appetizer my wife and I ordered a vegetarian pizza, with goat cheese and mushrooms. The pizza was fantastic and HUGE, but as we could only eat about half each, so we asked the waiter if he could put the rest in a 'doggy bag',and he said that he would.

Of coarse, when we left the dining room we forgot all about it, however much later in the evening as we returned to our cabin my wife said, "I would just love to have the rest of that pizza". I opened the door, and, on the bed were two little boxes with pizza inside.

I seldom tip, over and above what is required, but our waiter went home a little happier, it was also his last cruise on an eight month contract.

john

John, this is an awesome story. It's great to see goodness on all sides still occurs.

I have only had the pleasure to sail Princess once, and had more than enough food through normal servings. There were a couple of nights that I wanted to try a taste of entrees that I had never had, so I asked for a sample. I made it clear that I did not want a whole plate of food, as it would be wasted. Nevertheless, I was brought the entire entree both nights. I felt bad about wasting the excess, but I loved the above-and-beyond attitude and service of our dining room waiters throughout the whole week.

Over the last few cruises I have come to the realization that it makes the waiters' lives so much easier to just order the dishes as they are on the menu and then just leave whatever one does not want.

Like on lobster night - such as it is these days - I just order another pathetic shrunken little cockroach of a lobster and it comes with all the trimmings which I don't want. But the waiters have told me that this makes life much simpler for them.

Yes its somewhat of a waste but for better or for worse that is how bulk catering operates.

And all this time I thought it was mandatory to order all the courses (and multiples of some of them). ;)

We always order at least 2 appetizers each, soup, salad (double for my wife), 1 1/2 main courses ( splitting 1) and 2 desserts. We don't like to overdo it since we have to hit the buffet later after the show.

I've cut back from what I used to eat in my younger days. :p

And all this time I thought it was mandatory to order all the courses (and multiples of some of them). ;)

We always order at least 2 appetizers each, soup, salad (double for my wife), 1 1/2 main courses ( splitting 1) and 2 desserts. We don't like to overdo it since we have to hit the buffet later after the show.

I've cut back from what I used to eat in my younger days. :p

Its always good to start with the signature Fettucine Alfredo, with butter and Parmesan, then a couple of appetizers, the soup, the chilled soup, a salad, an entree and maybe second helpings if its good, or a different one if it wasn't so good.

Then its on to a selection of desserts, the NY style Cheesecake with the strawberries, the cheeseplate with grapes crackers and walnuts, and maybe a Souffle to finish off with coffee.

I've found that, generally speaking, the portions aren't that large. I've always been able to finish what was served. For an example, this is the portion size for the beef medallions:

6954681185_2b954d65fd_z.jpg

Golden Princess - Alaska by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Thanks for reminding me. First thing we do is ask them to please leave off the ubiquitous brown sauce!

Thanks for reminding me. First thing we do is ask them to please leave off the ubiquitous brown sauce!
I think the beef medallions have a different sauce each night. It's listed on the menu. My wife's the same way, she usually asks for it without the sauce.

john

This an example of the great service I am expecting on this cruise. First time on Princess, first time to Europe. I hope that I will have wonderful stories like this to share.

Happy Cruising Everyone.

32 days to go.

Over the last few cruises I have come to the realization that it makes the waiters' lives so much easier to just order the dishes as they are on the menu and then just leave whatever one does not want.

Like on lobster night - such as it is these days - I just order another pathetic shrunken little cockroach of a lobster and it comes with all the trimmings which I don't want. But the waiters have told me that this makes life much simpler for them.

Yes its somewhat of a waste but for better or for worse that is how bulk catering operates.

OMG - too funny!!

Just curios why you titled your thread Main Dining Room Glutony?:confused:

Happy to hear you are getting the answers you need. Dining portions/options are very flexible

At a buffet, you take the amount of food you would like and the portion you would like. No one determines this for you and you don't have to ask someone for it. I didn't know if the main dining room was like a regular restaurant. I wouldn't dare ask a waiter at Red Lobster if I could have another portion. Thought it would not be appropriate dining room etiquette.

Also, the portions are smaller than you might expect. They are normal sized portions, not the huge portions you often see at restaurants.

This is a really good point. We avoided the buffet on our last cruise, ate exclusively in the MDR and IC for all meals and we didn't gain any weight. MDR menues look excessive, but the portions as all very reasonable.

This is a really good point. We avoided the buffet on our last cruise, ate exclusively in the MDR and IC for all meals and we didn't gain any weight. MDR menues look excessive, but the portions as all very reasonable.

Considering that if you order something from each category; appetizer, soup, salad, main course and dessert, then yes it would be a reasonably amount of food...but who goes on a cruise ship to limit them selves and not overeat? :D Not many.

We travel as an extended family with 1 senior (low salt), 3 adults, and 4 kids. We always ask for a big platter of steamed broccoli at every dinner. The last cruise I lost weight because of the walking, and the ability to order everything prepared in a healthy way. We go out on a limb and try things for appetizers - make the kids try new things - but overall I find the menu delicious and nutritious! Love the fish!

Catherine

Also, the portions are smaller than you might expect. They are normal sized portions, not the huge portions you often see at restaurants.

Yep, they beat me to it. The portions are quite small, sort of like the type you get at a fancy restaurant. It's easier to try 2 things than to cut something in half. Yum!

I don't think we've gained weight in the past on the ships because we're always hoofing it up and down the stairs and walking a ton on land.

One thing we did on our last couple of cruises was to order our appies and entree's and then an extra entree for the middle of the table. I wanted to try some new fish dishes since I don't usually eat that and thought this was the best way to give it a go.

On this last cruise our server just brought things for our table, like a cheese/fruit platter to start with our drinks and sometimes a pasta dish to share, or an extra dessert that she wanted us all to try, etc. That way we all got a few bites of the shared entree as well as our own meal.

Hi All,

Not a joke and why did the waiter play along very simple,

look at things from his point of few,

they place their order,

then as the meal starts, they request an extra starter, may be two,

then with their meal dish over be it meat, they then ask can we have the fish as well,

then at the end they start asking for everthing possible,

now if they had requested everything at once may be that would be OK

but they were making the poor waiter run back wards and forwards to fetch all their extras,

so I think the waiter thought if he feed them more than normal he would

have less running around, remember even with double amounts these folks

still cleared everything, to me its not normal to stuff yourself with food

at one sitting like this, may be it was wrong, after all it was my first

cruise, however at that time there was not food 24hrs a day, so folk

did arrive at diner wanting to eat. Plus I was a lot younger then might

have even been the youngest onboard.

yours Shogun

Archived