Shabby treatment of Grandeur's 4/23 passengers

CAC104

A suggestion was made on another site that those of us who are not satisfied with the RCCL response to the passengers who were supposed to board on 4/23 to start our own thread...so here goes!

My original reason for posting on the "crash site" was to let people know what was happening to the passengers waiting in New Orleans for the ship to come in...We were concerned about the safey of the passengers on board the ship when the accident occurred, and we did think that RCCL did a wonderful time in taking care of their needs and providing the service needed to get them home safely.

But, for those of us left wondering what was going to happen to our cruise, RCCL had a rather callous attitude. First, it was almost impossible to find out what was going on, and what the cruise line wanted us to do. Instead of offering us a hotel room and food voucher, the way they gave the previous passengers when they got off, we were expected to provide our own way.

Yes, I had cruise insurance, and yes the hotel bill will be paid, but some folks did not have it. This is a good message for everyone to be sure to protect themselves in the future. What bothered me was that we all had paid for a 7 day cruise and were going to get a 5 day cruise. That would have worked out if the cruise line then gave us a price reduction to match a 5 day cruise. What they offered was a $300.00 PER CABIN shipboard credit...remember this is only $150.00 PER PERSON, and not cash back, but credit on ship. For the higher priced cabins, this is a drop in the bucket. We were also offered a full refund. This is what I chose, and plan to use the $ to book another cruise that will include the ports that were cut out by our cruise being shortened. I am booked on a Princess cruise in Oct., and I am playing a lot of golf at home this week!

Those of us posting about what we think is an unfair attitude toward us by RCCL were called "winers" (SIC) by a group of others on the other site. Their attitude was that we have nothing to complain about and should get over it. I can assure everyone that we were only trying to point out what we feel was a situation that could have been handled better by RCCL. I am sure we all have active and productive lives, but we also know the value of a dollar, and feel that we were getting ripped off unless we took our refunds and decided not to sail.

From my signature, you can see that I do cruise a lot. I continue to plan on cruising, but unless RCCL offers some kind of incentive for me to sail their ships, I will sail elsewhere.

I would encourage anyone else who feels this way to add to this thread on the boards.

This is a good message for everyone to be sure to protect themselves in the future.

I agree. ALWAYS buy the travel insurance. Better to be safe.

Those of us posting about what we think is an unfair attitude toward us by RCCL were called "winers" (SIC) by a group of others on the other site.

And what other site would you be refering to??

Make the best of your cruise otherwise you will waste a good vacation.

CAC - I agree with you. I have been following the other thread. RCCL must step up to the plate to take care of this group of cruisers. It is not fair to shorten the cruise and leaving eveyone to fend for themselves. Not everyone takes insurance and this had to be costly and very disappointing to everyone. It seems the best place would to have been on the cruise that "crashed". Good luck to you.

P.S. You will love Princess.

Jeez, you need to just let this go.....I think we all heard you before.:rolleyes:

RCCL has pulled one of the most blatant ripoffs on these folks on the delayed sailing. To those that cannot see this need some basic economic education. To offer $150 credit for missing 2 days of their cruise is out and out fraud. To say if you didn't have insurance it is your fault, since when does a consumer need to insure for a cruiselines error? We are not talking weather or an act of God it is RCCL's problem that they have failed in their basic obligation.

1corona....just following advice given by all of you who didn't want to read what we had to say on the other thread....No one is forcing you to read over here, the title clearly states what you are going to find!

RCCL has pulled one of the most blatant ripoffs on these folks on the delayed sailing. To those that cannot see this need some basic economic education. To offer $150 credit for missing 2 days of their cruise is out and out fraud. To say if you didn't have insurance it is your fault, since when does a consumer need to insure for a cruiselines error? We are not talking weather or an act of God it is RCCL's problem that they have failed in their basic obligation.

If it is out and out fraud then they will have an easy time getting justice in our court systems. Instead, you come here and perform potential slander by saying that they are committing fraud. I have read the contract and it appears to me that RCI has lived up to the letter of the contract. Admittedly, it is written in such a way that it is in their favor. Amazingly, every other cruise contract I have seen is written in the same way.

BTW, I am educated in advanced economics, and the $150 per person is exactly $150 more than they are obligated to give these passengers. Who knows what the actual compensation will be. Another thing I have learned in both formal education establishments and in the real world of business. There is a negotiation process that goes along with this stuff, and RCI has made an offer. Many people will accept the offer. Others may not, and there may be counter offers.... In otherwords, unfortunately, this sad discussion will lead where it leads and the final word is not knowable by you or I.

And yet you accuse them of fraud, a pretty serious charge. If I owned them, I might just sue you for slander for the fun of it.:p

jc

My wife and I were also scheduled on the 4/23 cruise. We also canceled for the full refund because it was the better deal costwise. My wife complained to RCL (I guess it would be a formal complaint since they asked for our reservation number). The surprising thing was that the RCL rept. agreed with my wife that RCL did not offer us a good compensation to remain on the cruise. Hopefully, they will offer the ones who did cruise appropriate compensation once they are onboard; paying for a 7 day cruise and getting a 4 day cruise deserves more than a $150 per person onboard credit.

There was very little difference between this delay and the ones that occured with hurricane Jeanne. They did take care of the delayed boarders quite well.

I happened to be on Princess for their delay and was given back the equivalent of two days fare to my credit card as well as $250 off my next cruise. That was for each passenger.

I would have a tough time spending $300 in cruise credits on one cruise...

Good luck

Those who insist on fiercely clinging to the terms of the passenger contract seem to be ignoring something (arguably) more important - the good faith gestures typically made by the cruiselines in circumstances such as these. NO, NCL was not LEGALLY obligated to do what they did for the Dawn passengers. No, RCL was not LEGALLY obligated to do what they did for the cruisers stuck in Costa Maya. For these companies to stick to the letter of the contract in circumstances such as these is suicide in this business. THAT is why they typically make some gesture (credits, refunds, discounts on future cruises and yes, even open bar) to the affected passengers. The 4/23 passengers got a gesture of a different sort!! IMO!!

Those who insist on fiercely clinging to the terms of the passenger contract seem to be ignoring something (arguably) more important - the good faith gestures typically made by the cruiselines in circumstances such as these. NO, NCL was not LEGALLY obligated to do what they did for the Dawn passengers. No, RCL was not LEGALLY obligated to do what they did for the cruisers stuck in Costa Maya. For these companies to stick to the letter of the contract in circumstances such as these is suicide in this business. THAT is why they typically make some gesture (credits, refunds, discounts on future cruises and yes, even open bar) to the affected passengers. The 4/23 passengers got a gesture of a different sort!! IMO!!

Exactly!

Brand loyalty is one thing, but come on, this is a no-brainer.

The folks on the Dawn were probably scared to death.

The people on the Grandeur were probably inconvenienced.

I think those trying to equate apples and oranges need to use their no-brainers for a couple of moments. :D Pretty funny. :D

jc

Exactly!

Brand loyalty is one thing, but come on, this is a no-brainer.

Even a no-brainer such as this one is beyond the comprehension of some of the members that have behaved so obnoxiously on the "Live from the Grandeur" thread and even this one. I guess mathematically that makes them "negative-brainers." Or maybe the're just lawyers, or lawyer-wannabes!

Even a no-brainer such as this one is beyond the comprehension of some of the members that have behaved so obnoxiously on the "Live from the Grandeur" thread and even this one. I guess mathematically that makes them "negative-brainers." Or maybe the're just lawyers, or lawyer-wannabes!

or fruit vendors??

I was not booked on the Grandeur but regardless of the contract, insurance or no insurance, the fact that it was an accident....whatever I feel that $300 per cabin was not much in the way of compensating for missing 2 days. I do understand everyone had a chance to cancel, ect, but I think that $150 per person based on 2 people is $75 per day. I would love to find a cruise for $75 per day.

Out of curiosity I looked what it would cost to take a 5 night cruise May 22nd on the Grandeur. This cost is for an INSIDE cabin on deck 4. It comes out to $265.29 per person per day based on 2 in the room.

I looked at a website I use to book my cruises, and the prices for the same cruise out of New Orleans next April start at $128 per person. I know this is not accurate of what people may or may not have paid for the cruise we are talking about. My point is, I think $75 per person per day is pretty low ( IMO ).

I can understand where people are disappointed with the "compensation" offered by RCCL. Had I been offered $300 for our cabin with my husband and I and 2 of our kids.......( although I am not sure they still offered $300 for quad cabins ) I just don't feel that is enough. I have a hard time understanding how they offered the same amount regardless of what type of cabin you booked, and how much you paid for it.

I am not looking for an argument of any sort, I just can't imagine where RCCL came up with figures. I know that we all experience disappointments in life, but I can honestly say that had I been scheduled on that cruise....with my family as we are for the Jewel in November ( 6 total ) regardless of insurance and what they offered.....it wouldn't cut it for me.

What would I think is fair compensation? That is a hard question, but I know that at bare minimum every cabin should be credited what they paid for those 2 days. Again......just my opinion.

Sh*t happens, folks. Cancel cruise. Book another. It's as simple as pie.

The day before my 4 day Carnival cruise, my TA called to say that the engines of the Fascination were having trouble and the ship would only be stopping in the Bahamas & not the Western Caribbean. No compensation was bring offered, but I could cancel and receive a full refund . . . which I did. A big disappointment and a big hassle. But, I booked a new 7 day cruise for the following week and got a great price for a great room. I obviously didn't cry about it. :D

Some people plan for over a year to take a cruise and have to arrange for vacation at their job, etc. Stop crying and cancel for a full refund, book a cruise the next week and be happy, is not exactly reality for many people. I don't know what the right answer is to the poster's situation, but the whole thing is unfortunate, especially the attitude of some of the responders.

But, I booked a new 7 day cruise for the following week and got a great price for a great room. I obviously didn't cry about it. :D

Did you have any issues with cancelling your flight and re-booking? You are fortunate that you have a job in which you can do that! I know my with my Husbands work....he has meeting and trips planned months in advance so it would not work for us.

Each person essentially paid $x per day per person for their cabin. I think that the only fair compesation is a refund for the per-day rate. Were the passengers who missed two cruise days fed, allowed to use the pool or entertained over those two days? So, what services were they providing that the passengers already paid for?

The air conditioner in your new car broke while being delivered to the dealership. Sorry about that. Here is a $50 credit towards rust proofing. S**t happens.

Sh*t happens, folks. Cancel cruise. Book another. It's as simple as pie.

The day before my 4 day Carnival cruise, my TA called to say that the engines of the Fascination were having trouble and the ship would only be stopping in the Bahamas & not the Western Caribbean. No compensation was bring offered, but I could cancel and receive a full refund . . . which I did. A big disappointment and a big hassle. But, I booked a new 7 day cruise for the following week and got a great price for a great room. I obviously didn't cry about it. :D

How fortunate for you that you got the news before leaving home and were able to change your plans. And as has been already stated, for people with work schedules and sometimes children's schedules to consider, it is not an easy thing to just book a cruise the following week.

For the people who are tired of the whining, try to imagine that this was your only vacation this year. This is the reality for many people, and that's why I feel such compassion for them. I am sad to see some of the attitudes here.

Sorry I am as loyal an RCCL cruiser as the next guy but the treatment of the 4/23 embarking pax has been awful. I would be peeved too if I had paid for a 7 day cruise, flown in to New Orleans only to get a 4 1/2 day trip and $150 per person in ship board credit. That would cost RCI about what $20 if that even, for the average person taking it in a few drinks some pictures and a t-shirt.

I suggest those of you who think that thse people are whining put yourself in their shoes. I don't believe a single one of you, yes NONE, of you would honestly think you deserve nothing in compensation. If you say that you believe that then your a liar.

When the Majesty of the Seas left 1200 people stranded overnight on Coco Cay in November 2002, we got a total refund AND a free cruise and a day of free drinks out of it. The refund and free cruise applied to everyone on the boat, even those who were nice and snug back in their beds on Majesty overnight. So in essence they gave 800 people a refund and a free cruise for just missing Key West.

Now let me tell you a night stranded on a beach in the Bahamas was not roughing it by any means, and we missed Key West ( not that we cared) as well.

I agree totally with the pax on the shortened 4/23 trip. A discount or a future discount should have been offered. Only those who complain strongly may get more.

For reference By the time we had gotten back on board Majesty the next morning at 8am there was already a letter on the bed stating the compensation, head office had already faxed the travel agent telling them to refund before we had even got home.

If it is out and out fraud then they will have an easy time getting justice in our court systems. Instead, you come here and perform potential slander by saying that they are committing fraud. I have read the contract and it appears to me that RCI has lived up to the letter of the contract. Admittedly, it is written in such a way that it is in their favor. Amazingly, every other cruise contract I have seen is written in the same way.

BTW, I am educated in advanced economics, and the $150 per person is exactly $150 more than they are obligated to give these passengers. Who knows what the actual compensation will be. Another thing I have learned in both formal education establishments and in the real world of business. There is a negotiation process that goes along with this stuff, and RCI has made an offer. Many people will accept the offer. Others may not, and there may be counter offers.... In otherwords, unfortunately, this sad discussion will lead where it leads and the final word is not knowable by you or I.

And yet you accuse them of fraud, a pretty serious charge. If I owned them, I might just sue you for slander for the fun of it.:p

jc

I am sure they would want to defend this action. Charge passengers x$ per diem and when you crash your ship on a previous voyage offer next group of passengers shipboard credit in a value less than the value of the lowest cabin on the ship. And be mindful this occured after many of your loyal customers were in route.

Great customer service, be sure and sail with us again.

IMO RCCL was at fault here. While I know what the contract says and they may have technically lived up to it, they didn't live up to the spirit of the contract nor did they act reasonably. A per diem reduction should have been the MINIMUM expected. And it should have been in the form of a cash refund, not a credit. I know things happen but a company must take care of it's customers when things happen that are within it's control and out of the control of the customers, even if it costs them money.

Archived