Shabby treatment of Grandeur's 4/23 passengers

CAC104

No doubt Cathy, but what if it was in RCI's interests to have passengers cancel the cruise. Should not they be allowed to encourage people to cancel the cruise by making one a great offer and one a not great offer? There are a lot of different ways to look at this situation and we don't know what RCI views as the best outcome for them as a corporate entity.

That may be correct from a strictly short term economic viewpoint, and a viewpoint that neglects marketing. Unlike oil companies, the cruise industry depends on consumer goodwill. Suppose a cruise company makes decisions that are good from a very short term financial standpoint, but will cost a significant amount of market share. Their long term profits will be adversely impacted. You will probably say the Grandeur delay is an isolated incident. I don't believe that is true. Per Dr. Gray, we will be in an active hurricane period for the next 20 to 30 years. This means delays in cruise schedules will be somewhat frequent from the June to November period. If RCL or others makes decisions that do not consider the consumer, they will lose market share to other vacation options. Not a very good business practice.

That may be correct from a strictly short term economic viewpoint, and a viewpoint that neglects marketing. Unlike oil companies, the cruise industry depends on consumer goodwill. Suppose a cruise company makes decisions that are good from a very short term financial standpoint, but will cost a significant amount of market share. Their long term profits will be adversely impacted. You will probably say the Grandeur delay is an isolated incident. I don't believe that is true. Per Dr. Gray, we will be in an active hurricane period for the next 20 to 30 years. This means delays in cruise schedules will be somewhat frequent from the June to November period. If RCL or others makes decisions that do not consider the consumer, they will lose market share to other vacation options. Not a very good business practice.

I love those 20 to 30 year weather forecasts!:D ;)

jc

I am glad this thread was started.

This was an "accident". I honestly believe that RCCL did not get the full scope of damage to the ship for some time after the accident. What saved it from damaging it further was the fact that it stayed above the water line. and I have no doubt that those of you who cancelled for whatever reason will not get anything further from RCCL. Those who cruised probably did.

:cool:

Guest OBAYbee
You know, if CC put "% poofed" under the number of posts, we'd have a better idea which members engage in objective, thought provoking, informative, etc. discussions and which posters are better avoided...;)

LOL!

I thought you wanted thought-provoking, emotionless discussions. Your response was weak......and not very logical.

Pablo, unless Dr. Gray has a psychic friend network, I doubt he is more than speculating. Which is ok, but the reality is, that the hurricanes will be driven/directed by the "Bermuda High", which is controlled/moved by weather systems that haven't even been formed yet. It is still intact from last year, but that could change. So let's just leave the hurricanes to Mother Nature, shall we?:cool:

I thought you wanted thought-provoking, emotionless discussions. Your response was weak......and not very logical.

Really a 30 year forecast is logical?:confused: I was told yesterday by the tv meteorologist before I went to the golf course that it was not going to rain. I got to the 15th hole and got drenched. :D Of course, I am sure Dr. Gray would have warned me of that thunderstorm.:rolleyes:

jc<---- I am not a meteorologist nor do I pretend to play one at CC, however, I do know how to use google. Just a couple of fun sites I found.

http://www.wxresearch.com/outlook/claud2003.htm

and I really enjoyed this light hearted one as for me it hit the right chord about what passes for science in our world today.(below)

http://www.coralsprings.com/article1/myth_of_weather_forecasting2.htm

I really think everyone should check out the above link! With that the defense rests your Honor!

I don't think the point was to analyze the accuracy of long-term weather prediction models. Rather, it has been suggested that the likelihood of severe weather, such as hurricanes, can be expected to increase in the next few decades due to a variety of factors (including increases in temperature a.k.a. global warming). Naturally, any increase in hurricane frequency affects our favorite pastime and we should be prepared to deal with it (preferably at the Schooner Bar rather than in the courtroom). JMHO, natch.

I don't think the point was to analyze the accuracy of long-term weather prediction models. Rather, it has been suggested that the likelihood of severe weather, such as hurricanes, can be expected to increase in the next few decades due to a variety of factors (including increases in temperature a.k.a. global warming). Naturally, any increase in hurricane frequency affects our favorite pastime and we should be prepared to deal with it (preferably at the Schooner Bar rather than in the courtroom). JMHO, natch.

Yeah, I read somewhere once that there is something called the hurricane season, and it seems from what I remember that it happens on a regular, perhaps even annual basis. That perhaps, while it might not always have been called "the hurricane season" by the native Americans a thousand years ago it was possible that they perceived something about an annual increase in storms that made a mess of their ocean front communities. I am not nearly bright enough to be able to intelligently discuss global warming, especially since nobody knows for a "fact" that it even exists. But then science today is pretty amazing. One day eat lots of protein, the next day eat oatmeal, the day after that don't eat meat, then the day after that we are all going to die from killer bees. I did recently read a good novel called "State of Fear" by Micheal Chrichton that hit a chord with me. Kind of like the chord that second link I provided a moment ago did.

jc

• Administrators
You know, if CC put "% poofed" under the number of posts, we'd have a better idea which members engage in objective, thought provoking, informative, etc. discussions and which posters are better avoided...;)

ACTUALLY....when a post is POOFED it is deducted from one's total .

Play nice........

Laura

Archived