Delta Carry-on?

kelkel2

If you have 2 bags, FAs will ask that you place one under your seat (your personal item) and one in the overhead bin. And how terribly rude if you put your two bags in the overhead bin, taking space from other people who are trying to share.....

There are some seats on some planes that have no overhead bin and/or no underseat storage. You are forced to place your small item in the overhead bins as you can't keep it on the floor.

I am very annoyed when I check my rollerboard in these situations and get flack because I have placed my very small personal item in the overhead bin (because I have no choice), and someone moves it around or takes it out.

In business and first there is frequently no under seat storage space and FA's make passengers put everything in the overheads during take-off and landing. (On US airlines, not so much on other.)

There are always SOME seats with no underseat storage due to the location of electronic equipment, but I'd hardly say it's a FREQUENT issue. :confused:

Plus, with fewer seats in each row of first/business, there is more overhead space per passenger.

it's interesting though, I've always brought the same bag as a carry on. It's a tote bag that can hold a lot of stuff and it is decently large, I've never been asked to actually put it under my seat.

it's interesting though, I've always brought the same bag as a carry on. It's a tote bag that can hold a lot of stuff and it is decently large, I've never been asked to actually put it under my seat.

If you typically only bring one bag when you board a plane, you wouldn't be.

Every time I flew last year (all my flights were on Delta or KLM) an FA made an announcement asking for the personal item to go under the seat and the carry-on in the overhead bin (typically adding the best way for the wheels to face, given the configuration of that plane) I can only report my anecdotal data points. Doesn't mean it happens on other airlines. Doesn't mean it happens on every flight. Doesn't mean people actually hear or listen to what the FAs say when they're boarding.;)

Heh.

I doubt there would be much of a problem with the overheads if Delta enforced the "carry-on" size limitations that they specify.

Much, many of the bags I see placed in overheads are oversized.

Further, when I went to buy a roll-a-board, found that most/many sold as "approved carry on" or similar language, give incorrect measurements that do not include wheels, handles, protruding pockets etc.

FWIW, many Delta gates have a Template - metal frame to match the "legal specifications" and could make you check bag if it doesn't fit the template.

For grins and giggles, I asked the gate agent if I could give mine a try. It barely fit. Probably 80 to 90 % of the carry on's I see are easily larger.

I doubt if it matters much on US flights, I have never seen them enforce it. Connecting Internationally, some folks are going to be in for a surprise.

Archived