'Free' drinks on Oasis of the Seas

My family and I are taking our first cruise on the Oasis later this summer, and we're considering whether to get the kids the soda pass. We're not prolific soda drinkers, but I don't also want the kids to feel like they're constrained to only a few limited options onboard. Can someone give me a flavor for the types of drinks that are available and how widely available they are (not just limited to one nook of the ship for example...)?

Thanks in advance!

RCI serves coffee, apple and orange juices for breakfast, and tea, lemonade and lemon water for lunch. Sodas are available for purchase. I'd get the kid(s) the soda cards. It's worth it.

They serve Coke products and you can get them everywhere on the ship, bars, food service areas, etc. Even if your kids don't drink a lot of soda, I think the unlimited drink card is a good idea. Others have posted here that kids often set their drinks down unattended and you don't want them picking them back up and taking a drink after they have turned away from it.

They also have flavored water at many of the venues. My DD and I really enjoyed them. And if you choose not to get the soda cards, you can always purchase the soda when you want it.

I did not purchase the soda cards for me kids their first few cruises because I didn't feel it was worth it and I didn't want them drinking multiple sodas a day anyways. On our last cruise, I decided to purchase the soda package for them, and they really liked it. If you consider the cost of the package (and they also get a cool insulated cup), they definitately got their money's worth and a nice souvenier. I plan to purchase again for our upcoming cruise.

I would suggest getting it since this is your first cruise... Have you been on ships of any kind before? How are you with motion sickness?

We got the SC on our last cruise, 12n out of Bmore, and it was a rocky one on a few of the sea days. It was nice to be able to go any bar or service area and get a ginger ale to help settle the queezies. Our bill for soda would've been higher than my bar tab if we had to swipe for every one.

Having the ability to get a ginger ale to sip on if your tummy turns on you is a great little bit of vacation insurance in my opinion...

However, sailing on Oasis out of FFL, you shouldn't feel it move all that much.

Enjoy your trip!!!

My family and I are taking our first cruise on the Oasis later this summer, and we're considering whether to get the kids the soda pass. We're not prolific soda drinkers, but I don't also want the kids to feel like they're constrained to only a few limited options onboard. Can someone give me a flavor for the types of drinks that are available and how widely available they are (not just limited to one nook of the ship for example...)?

Thanks in advance!

I always got the soda card with Carnival, but did not get it on Oasis last year since you only get fountain soda with the card. I do not like fountain soda at all and would never waste my money on a soda card for that.

I think this depends on the length of your cruise and how many port days. I have 3 kids who drink soda at home (have to hide it or that is ALL they will drink). For cruises 7 nights or less I don't buy the soda package. They will order a soda for room service but when we are out on the ship we just get them tea and they never ask for soda. We order extra juice for breakfast and keep it in the refrigerator for in cabin drinking during the day. Also if you are in port (off the ship) you have to buy the sodas anyway. I am not sure how it works, since we haven't purchased the package before, but if I have to carry the cups around all day for refills I don't want to have to keep up with them for the family. If we were to take a longer cruise then I may be more tempted to purchase the package.

We're not prolific soda drinkers, but I don't also want the kids to feel like they're constrained to only a few limited options onboard.

Well, you've asked for advice and here is mine: if you don't drink a lot of soda regularly, would you allow it or not allow it on vacation? Since this is your first cruise, you and the family do not know what to expect, really. They won't think there are "limited options". There are drinks included in the cost of your cruise fare, and the kids can get them most anytime of the day. They can get iced tea, lemonade, and flavored waters from the Windjammer buffet, the Park Café, and other venues around the ship. Orange juice (drink, really) and apple juice, as well as plain and chocolate milk, are available in the Windjammer at breakfast. There are not "limited options".

We never bought the kids soda cards and they never needed them or missed them. Obviously, JMHO.

Have a good cruise.

Just got off the Oasis on Sat., did not get my kids soda cards. They could choose from:

Mango, Strawberry-Kiwi and Passion Fruit flavored waters, lemonaid and apple juice in the WJ and Park Cafe.

If someone really wants a soda, grab one at a bar when you need one, I have always gotten a soda card until now, and we didn't miss it at all.;)

Also, many shops such as the cupcake shop sell Gatoraid, sodas, even milk to go with the cupcakes.

You can also get coffeee, tea (hot and iced) and milk free from Room Service.:)

If your kids are soda drinkers (whether it's right or wrong-not getting into that:rolleyes:) I would get them the soda cards. Someone else mentioned it above but they should NEVER drink from a drink that has been out of their hands/sight even for a minute (a lesson to remember well into adulthood). Our son does not like the taste of soda but we taught him that same rule with water bottles, juice etc. If they have the card, they do not have to worry about the cost of another soda if they put theirs down to play basketball, go in the pool etc.

Well, you've asked for advice and here is mine: if you don't drink a lot of soda regularly, would you allow it or not allow it on vacation? Since this is your first cruise, you and the family do not know what to expect, really. They won't think there are "limited options". There are drinks included in the cost of your cruise fare, and the kids can get them most anytime of the day. They can get iced tea, lemonade, and flavored waters from the Windjammer buffet, the Park Café, and other venues around the ship. Orange juice (drink, really) and apple juice, as well as plain and chocolate milk, are available in the Windjammer at breakfast. There are not "limited options".

We never bought the kids soda cards and they never needed them or missed them. Obviously, JMHO.

Have a good cruise.

Agree! I didnt get this for my kids (they don't like the stuff anyway) but they just marveled at the idea they could just walk in and get free stuff all over the place. Mine enjoyed the flavored waters, pastries, the ice cream machine, room service, and even the flavored hot teas. From their point of view there was "mana from heaven" every day...no need to pay for more unless of course your kids are addicted to the stuff, in which case, they will cost you and arm and a leg with out it. I think a lot of people get these cards automatically without looking at it from the kids point of view!

When I went on Carnival, I had read about the soda card. It was my first cruise and I had red about them. I got one at the first bar I passed, because the guidebook said to. Guess what, I think it was a bit of a waste, and I drink allot of soda at home. First of all, there were juices and iced tea available as well as hot tea and coffee all day long. I could have done without the soda. Plus carnival seemed to have some fairly weird soda policies.

So on my upcoming RCI cruise, I am going to look into all the drink options before deciding on the card. To tell the truth the insulated cup is a minus for me, as I do not want to be tethered to my cup. However it will not hurt if I buy the pass later that night or even on day 2 if I decide to, but I doubt I will.

To tell the truth the insulated cup is a minus for me, as I do not want to be tethered to my cup. However it will not hurt if I buy the pass later that night or even on day 2 if I decide to, but I doubt I will.

You do not need to take your insulated cup with you to get a soda-just show your sea pass card and they will give it to you in a regular cup. DH uses (and used on the cruise) the insulated cup more for coffee than soda.

Also,not sure if you need to buy the card on the 1st day or can buy it later but I do not believe it is prorated if you buy later (ie must by for 7 days if that is the length of your cruise)

DS said it was a pain to find a drink after the windjammer closed for the night. we brought a few drinks on board with us. DH is handicapped and we brought a thermos and filled it up at lunch and dinner and it would last and he didnt have to try to go all over for a drink. The waiter in the windjammer would bring us 4 glasses to fill it with.

If you do decide to purchase the card, either pre pay for it through Royal or wait until you get into international waters, which will occur about an hour after embarkation. This way you do not have to pay sales tax to the state in which the ship embarked from.

You may think about bringing some of the drink mix options to add to water...Kool Aid makes a tablet to flavor water; MIO has a squirt flavoring; etc. There really are lots of options for the children to drink and get ice cream, etc. So if soda isn't the normal drink - why have the children drink the 16 oz refillable thermos full several times a day.

• 1 year later...

I know that Oasis of the Seas offered flavored water free but is this available 24hrs a day? I remember on Carnival that you could get tea and lemonade all day but late at night on RC Oasis of the Sea when we decided to get a slice of pizza, sandwiches, etc befor calling it a night the only drinks available was water and coffee. Just wondering if I overlooked this.

Archived