Will your butler unpack for you?

wayfarer87

It's certainly one of the "perks" of being in a suite and NCL advertises it. Some folks talk about not wanting people in their "private stuff". As an old "road warrior, I sent laundry out all the time and view this as the same thing. Tell him/her you want to be unpacked and they will take care of it.

I wouldn't for a couple if reasons: I want to know where my things are, and embarkation day s extremely busy for the staff, especially the butlers who have several cabins to assist. Spending thirty minutes unpacking you takes a lot of time on a busy day.

With that said, my 80+ mother was absolutely wiped from a rough embarkation and asked the butlers assistance. He was reluctant because he had a lot to do, but he came through, putting things where she told him to, then wrangling her suitcase under the bed. We were so appreciative!

We didn't, but a friend of mine always does. She said they do a wonderful job. All clothes neatly hung, didn't have to ask for or wait for hangers, etc. Anything they are not sure of they put on the vanity. She has cruised 7 times on NCL in suites and only twice did she receive "an eye roll" from the butler, but they still did a good job.

As far as them being busy on the first day, that is between the butler and the company they work for. I am always a little confused by people's hesitation to ask for a perk that you are entitled to because you paid extra to have it. If you paid for a first class airline ticket, you wouldn't settle for coach service. Cruising is a customer driven industry, you should expect and get what you pay for. If you don't then service continues to diminish.

I think if you would like to be up on deck enjoying your vacation rather than in the room unpacking...go for it. Let us know how you make out.

I have never done this, only because I haven't had a butler YET.

I will in Sept and I will take advantage of this perk.

I have to laugh when people worry about not knowing 'where' their stuff is....

The cabins are only so big and storage is limited....how many places can they put things?? LOL ;)

I would bet that a butler will put your clothing away in the same manner you would..I bet if you went to 100 cabins on board, you will find all 100 people unpack their clothing and put it all in the same spots you do.

There isn't much choice!! :):p:D

We didn't, but a friend of mine always does. She said they do a wonderful job. All clothes neatly hung, didn't have to ask for or wait for hangers, etc. Anything they are not sure of they put on the vanity. She has cruised 7 times on NCL in suites and only twice did she receive "an eye roll" from the butler, but they still did a good job.

As far as them being busy on the first day, that is between the butler and the company they work for. I am always a little confused by people's hesitation to ask for a perk that you are entitled to because you paid extra to have it. If you paid for a first class airline ticket, you wouldn't settle for coach service. Cruising is a customer driven industry, you should expect and get what you pay for. If you don't then service continues to diminish.

I think if you would like to be up on deck enjoying your vacation rather than in the room unpacking...go for it. Let us know how you make out.

I love your way of thinking. Thanks for posting this. I was starting to 'worry' over asking the butler to do this because NO ONE on here claims to do it and I was actually feeling guilty, but you're right. I am paying extra and I won't ask for much other than this. THIS is the one thing I am REALLY looking forward to because I hate unpacking.

I wish I could pay the butler to come to my house before the cruise and pack for me too :D

Edited by halos

I have never done this, only because I haven't had a butler YET.

I will in Sept and I will take advantage of this perk.

I have to laugh when people worry about not knowing 'where' their stuff is....

The cabins are only so big and storage is limited....how many places can they put things?? LOL ;)

I would bet that a butler will put your clothing away in the same manner you would..I bet if you went to 100 cabins on board, you will find all 100 people unpack their clothing and put it all in the same spots you do.

There isn't much choice!!

I love your way of thinking. Thanks for posting this. I was starting to 'worry' over asking the butler to do this because NO ONE on here claims to do it and I was actually feeling guilty, but you're right. I am paying extra and I won't ask for much other than this. THIS is the one thing I am REALLY looking forward to because I hate unpacking.

I wish I could pay the butler to come to my house before the cruise and pack for me too :D[/color][/color]

I haven't done it and probably never will but... if some day I just don't want to deal with it I wouldn't hesitate to ask as it is a perk that is listed and wouldn't feel guilty. I would be very appreciative and give them a bigger tip than I normally would.

I really don't mind unpacking as it is just nice to be in the room knowing how much fun it's going to be. We always go to Cagneys then when we can get in our room we go out on the balcony (almost always on the stern) and :D then put a few things away and go to the muster drill. Then come back for sail away and open the bubbly and have a toast or two or three.:D After that we finish unpacking until the bubbly wears off and go to dinner. This is our tradition but you never know may want to change it up at some point.

I have however thought that I may ask the butler to pack us up the day before with instructions on what not to pack of course. Packing is the part I really hate as they are making me get off my home away from home!:mad:

I wish I could pay the butler to come to my house before the cruise and pack for me too :D

Now that is something I would definitely pay for! No matter how hard I try I am a lousy packer and my stuff is usually pretty wrinkly.

Edited by Spoiled Suite Brats

Are you Royalty?

It would be done automatically if they were Royals or even just visiting some royals, so this question wouldn't even need to be addressed. The maids or footmen would also do any ironing and repack everything with tissue paper at the conclusion of the visit. ;)

If you paid for a first class airline ticket, you wouldn't settle for coach service. Cruising is a customer driven industry, you should expect and get what you pay for.

I see one problem with this analogy. If the plane is boarding, demanding constant drink service will get you nowhere. Yes, drink service is included during your flight, but during boarding, there is entire planeload of people you will greatly inconvenience by making demands. It's generally understood that what will benefit all passengers outweighs the demands of a single passenger. During boarding time, your flight attendants have other responsibilities.

I fully understand suite benefits. I also understand the demands on all the butlers on embarkation day. When one person demands much time from a butler (whether on boarding day or any other day), all his others passengers suffer from less service, maybe not even getting to meet their butler until at least day two. This has happened to me, and while I am okay with it (as I stated, I already know suite benefits, and I really don't need a butler on embarkation day), I would feel badly for another brand-new suite passenger who might not even know their way around their suite. it is just kind consideration for other suite passengers to not monopolize the butler.

To the OP, I am actually fine with anyone asking for unpacking! Hey, if it's something you want and are willing to tip well for, then why not? the only thing I suggest is that you ask the butler to do this when he has time, in consideration of other guests. He will have you all unpacked likely while you have dinner, and other guests will be all taken care of by then. I personally would never ask, I like my things put away before dinner, and our unpacking usually only takes 15 minutes - so I have no need for the service. I think it's an amazing service, especially for those infirm or where unpacking would be more difficult for whatever reason, and would never deny it to anyone!

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Fishbait17

I fully understand suite benefits. I also understand the demands on all the butlers on embarkation day. When one person demands much time from a butler (whether on boarding day or any other day), all his others passengers suffer from less service, maybe not even getting to meet their butler until at least day two. This has happened to me, and while I am okay with it (as I stated, I already know suite benefits, and I really don't need a butler on embarkation day), I would feel badly for another brand-new suite passenger who might not even know their way around their suite. it is just kind consideration for other suite passengers to not monopolize the butler.

To the OP, I am actually fine with anyone asking for unpacking! Hey, if it's something you want and are willing to tip well for, then why not? the only thing I suggest is that you ask the butler to do this when he has time, in consideration of other guests. He will have you all unpacked likely while you have dinner, and other guests will be all taken care of by then. I personally would never ask, I like my things put away before dinner, and our unpacking usually only takes 15 minutes - so I have no need for the service. I think it's an amazing service, especially for those infirm or where unpacking would be more difficult for whatever reason, and would never deny it to anyone!

Robin

IF unpacking is on the list (that NCL provides) of what butlers may do for you, then there is NO REASON they should not have the time to do it.

If it is an issue, then NCL should remove 'unpacking' from the list of what butlers will do for suite guests.

I do totally agree that it would be more respectful to specify that they do it when time permits...within reason.

Edited by halos

A perk is a perk but man people are getting lazy these days. Wouldn't it be creepy having some guy know everything that you wearing daily? People always go crazy about privacy and airport screeners going through their bags, now people are inviting it on a much more intimate level with butler?

I see one problem with this analogy. If the plane is boarding, demanding constant drink service will get you nowhere. Yes, drink service is included during your flight, but during boarding, there is entire planeload of people you will greatly inconvenience by making demands. It's generally understood that what will benefit all passengers outweighs the demands of a single passenger. During boarding time, your flight attendants have other responsibilities.

I agree with this 100%. Avoiding unpacking isn't important enough to me to inconvenience a bunch of other passengers who might have more pressing needs at embarkation.

Edited by sdmike

A perk is a perk but man people are getting lazy these days. Wouldn't it be creepy having some guy know everything that you wearing daily? People always go crazy about privacy and airport screeners going through their bags, now people are inviting it on a much more intimate level with butler?

That aspect doesn't bother me. First, we are (hopefully) talking clean clothes and second, if the butler has never seen bras and granny panties, he ain't gonna get a thril out of mine.

Edited by DMH15

Robin

I agree with you Robin! We (my husband and myself) enjoy doing our own unpacking. Embarkation day is going to be a handful for the butlers. I wouldn't want to make their lives more stressful by asking them to unpack my clothes when I can do it myself. It does take time away from other passengers. I also agree that it's a PERK you're entitled too. So, if you wish, use it. But, what happens if everyone wants their belongings unpacked that day????? Now that would be a dilemma!!!

Enjoy your vacation!

Edited by Diamond60

Robin

Since I've never had a butler and really not planning one for the near future, I am only going by guess and my own logic here.

And since I'm really not sure what the butlers have to do on embarkation day with the exception of introducing themselves to their suite guests, introducing the suite guests to the luxuries of the cabin (if needed) and meeting requests for pillows, hangers etc. So I'm looking at this a little different.

Now the above would be after the guest has embarked but before the luggage comes at around 6:30-7ish. Which would leave the butler about 5-6 hours to do the above for the cabins they are responsible for.

So maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this would take away from the butlers duties at embarkation. I also don't see where unpacking someones bags 1/2 hr tops would be any different than those who order in suite dining on embarkation day or whatever else people request that I may not.

In saying all that, I personally would never have a butler unpack my things simply because, like you, it takes me all of about 15 minutes to unpack and put away. I have everything organized in my suitcases that everything is all in one place for the space I'm going to put in on the ship.

I think a butler will do lots of things if you pay enough. Butlers are not part of the auto gratuity. They are not to be asked to do extreme things like being a personal servant. They have way too many suites and chores to do. But if you take good care of him/her, they will take good care of you.

Unpacking is not extreme but not the norm necessarily. I am sure they would do it easily.

Folks forget that each butler on every cruise I've been on has between 8 and 10 suites they are responsible for. In some ways their duties on embarkation day are less than after the ship sails. Their major tasks on embarkation are to ensure the stewards have prepared the suites, put out the fruit bowls and check the flowers and drinks. Most/all of that is done before boarding starts. Unpacking does not mean drop everything and get yours down before anything else. In many cases the luggage is not even there until after the ship sails. After 10-11 pm there is usually only a duty butler on call and of course no one would want unpacking then. NCL is very clear that this is a "perk" that is offered to all suite guests and would not do so if they felt it would be difficult.

Anyone that wants to take advantage of this "perk" should not feel guilty nor should they feel there is any extra cost/tip required.

It seems that most who have a problem with the concept are not folks that travel in suites. We do, but have never asked to be unpacked, but have no problem with anyone that wants to use the provided service.

Folks forget that each butler on every cruise I've been on has between 8 and 10 suites they are responsible for. In some ways their duties on embarkation day are less than after the ship sails. Their major tasks on embarkation are to ensure the stewards have prepared the suites, put out the fruit bowls and check the flowers and drinks. Most/all of that is done before boarding starts. Unpacking does not mean drop everything and get yours down before anything else. In many cases the luggage is not even there until after the ship sails. After 10-11 pm there is usually only a duty butler on call and of course no one would want unpacking then. NCL is very clear that this is a "perk" that is offered to all suite guests and would not do so if they felt it would be difficult.

Anyone that wants to take advantage of this "perk" should not feel guilty nor should they feel there is any extra cost/tip required.

It seems that most who have a problem with the concept are not folks that travel in suites. We do, but have never asked to be unpacked, but have no problem with anyone that wants to use the provided service.

No one is really stating this is out of line and is even mentioned as an option for the butler on the NCL site.

But you are wrong about embarkation day. Next time on a ship, ask any employee and esp the butler. Embarkation day is the day from hell with all the work. Butlers are running around like crazy going on and off the ship escorting guests to their rooms or to Cagneys. They are giving tours of each cabin, delivering baskets, etc. It is the busiest day of a cruise for every member of the staff.

Of course they would unpack if you asked them to. But just like anything you ask them to do, please make sure you tip them for it. Waiters and stewards get the auto gratuity. Butlers work on tips alone. It would be EXTREMELY rude to ask a butler to do such personal service with no tip. It would be the wrong way to start a cruise ;)