Cash or Credit in the Mediterranean

Leaving for the Mediterranean in 5 weeks. Just wondering if it worth it to have plenty euros to make purchases. Can we bargain at the shops and would we get a better deal if we pay cash? Also, since we will be in Europe, would it be better to tip in euros or dollars? One last question, has anyone used an ATM overseas?

Leaving for the Mediterranean in 5 weeks. Just wondering if it worth it to have plenty euros to make purchases. Can we bargain at the shops and would we get a better deal if we pay cash? Also, since we will be in Europe, would it be better to tip in euros or dollars? One last question, has anyone used an ATM overseas?

The best way to get cash overseas is at ATMs since they don't discount the exchange rate.

Most but not all credit cards now charge about 3% foreign transaction fee. Make sure youcall your credit card before you leave and tell them your travel plans or your use of the card may trip a fraud alert and block your card. That is a major hassle. Most atms have worked for me and so that is usually a good option but sometimes they will not work with my u.s. based Atm card. I have also found that my bank can order currency for me free of fees ahead of time but it may take a few days to get it. My bank also will exchange back to u.s.$ when I return. This is way better than paying the huge penalties at those currency exchange places.

Only bargaining you can do in Europe is possibly in an outdoor market...good luck

I always travel with some euros for tipping and small purchases...credit card for the rest. Here is a tip for you....Purchase your euros in the airport in the US before your flight. We did this in Philly and when we returned from the Med we were able to return any unused euros without any fees (just keep the receipt). Enjoy your cruise :)

If you are going to any non EU ports eg Eastern Med..Turkey etc you can then have loads of fun haggling...but in the Western Med cities they are not interested the price shown is the price to pay ...only chance would be in any antique or flea markets etc.

Sandra

We were very glad that we took Euros with us on cruise. My bank allowed me to make a transaction for as much as I wanted for a set fee. I actually ended up with a better rate here than in Florence or on the ship. They would buy the unused ones back at the end of the trip.

It was lucky we took the Euros that we did as others in our group didn't bring any. We had cab expenses and tours that had to be paid before they could find an ATM. One cruisers forgot to tell his credit card company he was traveling overseas. They froze his credit card so he had to pay cash for the hotel.

Also, we had an exchange fee on our credit/debit cards when we use them overseas.

The ship did have decent exchange rates, they charged an upfront fee, but the credit card/sea pass was charged in US dollars so no foreign exchange fee was applied when we got our statement.

We used a exchange store in Pisa and an ATM in La Palma in front of a bank. Everyone says you can easily find ATMs every where. I didn't spot them.

I like to make sure the trip is paid for before we leave home so I have always gotten euros from the bank before we leave. If we want to use a credit card we have always used the Capital one card when in Europe. They don't charge a foreign transaction fee. At least they haven't in the past but we all know the rules are always changing. We then take whatever is left after trip and start saving for the next one or find a friend going to Europe and sell to them. Last time I came home with $500 Euro so no need to get Euros for this year's TA.

I'll use my Capital One debit card at ATMs, but never to buy stuff. Always make purchases with cash or by credit card. And I try to avoid those convenience store ATMs, using bank ATMs or those at an airport. Just trying to protect against fraud as much as possible.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

FYI, the ATM on the cruise ship has a very good exchange rate and is much safer to use than a random street corner. It's good to have cash for little outside shops and restaurants that take cash only.

But the transaction fee for using the ATM on Liberty last year for Euros (equivalent to USD $6) worsened the exchange rate why BTW was not as good as on land. Maybe that was just Liberty.

I got a card through Charles Schwab last year for our Mediterranean cruise. No foreign transaction fees for using it as a credit card or at an ATM. If a bank charges a usage fee at an ATM (anywhere) they refund it.

I liked not traveling with too much cash, and just taking it out as I needed it.

Also, if you're going to countries not on the Euro (like Turkey) it is much easier to use ATM's

We used a credit card exclusively but made sure we had one that did not charge a international transaction fee. Capital One has one and I think our Chase Marriott Rewards card just sent us a notice saying they were no longer charging this fee. You can google under VISA cards with no foreign transaction fee to find them.

If traveling abroad always call your credit card issuers and your bank for your ATM card and notify them in advance that you will be traveling abroad and the dates you will be out of the country. Otherwise you may find that security has blocked usage of your card when you go to use it.

It is always helpful to have Euros as not all places take credit cards. Some taxi's won't take credit cards and if you go somewhere and make small purchases, they won't take credit cards either, I've found. It's like here in the States, some places have a minimum to spend before they will take cards. Also, if you are using public transportation, like metro, buses, trains, etc. sometimes they won't take credit cards either. So, it's always a good idea to have at least some small currency on hand. And a lot of places where you get snacks (like gelato or pastries) don't appreciate big bills because it's a hassle for them to locate change. I've always found ATM's the easiest way to get cash (Euros or whatever other local currency you need)

Of course, for larger purchases, I've used credit card. And as most people have said here, I use a Capital One card to avoid the foreign transaction fee.

BTW, I have bargained with merchants in plenty of locations on souvenirs and gifts (Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Kusadasi, Rome, Florence, Amalfi, etc.)

It is always helpful to have Euros as not all places take credit cards. Some taxi's won't take credit cards and if you go somewhere and make small purchases, they won't take credit cards either, I've found. It's like here in the States, some places have a minimum to spend before they will take cards. Also, if you are using public transportation, like metro, buses, trains, etc. sometimes they won't take credit cards either. So, it's always a good idea to have at least some small currency on hand. And a lot of places where you get snacks (like gelato or pastries) don't appreciate big bills because it's a hassle for them to locate change. I've always found ATM's the easiest way to get cash (Euros or whatever other local currency you need)

Of course, for larger purchases, I've used credit card. And as most people have said here, I use a Capital One card to avoid the foreign transaction fee.

BTW, I have bargained with merchants in plenty of locations on souvenirs and gifts (Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Kusadasi, Rome, Florence, Amalfi, etc.)

Good points about credit cards not being as widely accepted as perhaps they are in the US. Also in Spain, when you use credit cards they may insist on photographic ID being produced before you can make a purchase.

Archived