SO nervous about what to wear!

So.. As a mom of 2 young children, I generally run around in yoga pants at home and only dress "up" for church on Sunday. A dark pair of jeans, heels and a nice top or sweater. Im really nervous about dressing right for this cruise.. What would you suggest I wear? Im not into high fashion (some of that stuff is just ridiculous) and I dont have a million dollars to spend on clothes. What have you all worn?! Skimpy bikinis? Tennis shoes and shorts? We live in a pretty casual part of WA state so I dont dress like a new yorker.. Any advice for the Carnival Freedom in Dec would be awesome thanks!!

During the day, a bathing suit and cover-up works most days. Shorts, yoga pants, and tshirts are fine if you aren't going to the pool or beach. At night, dark jeans and tops or any smart casual outfits are fine... you don't really have to wear heels unless you are in formal wear. Cocktail dresses are perfect for Carnival dress-up night, and if you don't have enough dresses (or pant suits) for all of the dress-up nights, just eat at the buffet. The air conditioning can get really cool, so bring a cardigan.

During the day, a bathing suit and cover-up works most days. Shorts, yoga pants, and tshirts are fine if you aren't going to the pool or beach. At night, dark jeans and tops or any smart casual outfits are fine... you don't really have to wear heels unless you are in formal wear. Cocktail dresses are perfect for Carnival dress-up night, and if you don't have enough dresses (or pant suits) for all of the dress-up nights, just eat at the buffet. The air conditioning can get really cool, so bring a cardigan.

Thanks! I love little cocktail dresses I just never know what to do with my hair. I read all the pet peeve posts (bad idea I know) and now im worrying what others will think.. Not smart since they dont matter ;)

Don't stress over it too much, doesn't matter what others think. I wear shorts, capris and summer tops. I do pack cocktail dresses for the elegant nights, but dress pants are acceptable as well. My footwear consists of 1 pair of heels, flip flops and tennis shoes. As far as swimwear goes, wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I've seen everything from string bikinis to full coverage one peices. Relax and enjoy yourself!

SuperExcited...I don't know how much help it would be for you...or how relevant it would be...but I just finished a "wardrobe report" that details everything that I and my Mom wore on our recent cruise. You can find the report on the "All things Earth" thread.

I can relate to the yoga pants everyday...finding something that is comfortable for the cruise is just what you want...but IMO, you will want POCKETS. :) Sea days are casual days...pick something comfortable, but functional in that you will need to have your Sea Pass card with you, if nothing else. Port days will depend on what you are doing.

Every evening will depend on how you feel...I wore one skirt with a couple different shirts...and dresses. SHOES were more important than the clothes in the end...it helps if you know how your feet respond to vacation...mine tend to swell...especially toward the end of the day, and ESPECIALLY toward the end of the week...so keep that in mind.

My best advice would be not to stray too far from who you are in your everyday life...don't be too concerned with fashion...keep function in mind for sure.

Wear you hair in your normal "Sunday" fashion...no need to do anything special. There are few folks on the ship who will look like models or "NY fashion mavens"!!!! Really!

I wear bathing suit or shorts all day...dressy capris (not the kind with pockets and ties hanging off them!!!)at night with heels, and top. Flip flops are the daytime shoe of choice!

On formal nights, I wear a slinky gown or cocktail dress and sexy heels!

Bring what you have...no need to buy "cruise clothes"....everyday stuff is fine.

First of all Don't stress it, there are threads here to give you advice and ideas what to wear.

well I put my hair in an up do (i have long hair) with blingtastic barrette or hair clips, or style it nice with my hair down. When sightseeing or what not my hair is in either braided or pony tail. I usually wear 1 evening gown for formal pics, cocktail dress 2nd one and dress pants and nice bling top for rest. They are trending in stores this season. When sightseeing I'm in capris, sandals and t-shirt or tank top. Or I swap it with a maxi dress or a wrap skirt and top.

Don't be scared with the pet peeves why? people will do it anyhow. I wear low kitten heels, because them sexy hot shoes (even wedges) trending,I can't wear(bummer).

I'm a jeans and t shirt gal normally, except for work that's dress casual. But I polish and shine up like a new penny:D

I know you and your children can too. again don't stress it.

I don't own a blow dryer. I don't wear high heels. I don't wear makeup. I wore a dress with black toe shoes to dinner, and you know what people said to me?

Not a thing ('cept for people who just thought my shoes looked cool).

Bring what you have...no need to buy "cruise clothes"....everyday stuff is fine.

Totally agree-no need to go out and get a whole different set of clothes.

Still, it can be a good excuse to shop if that is your inclination and wallet can handle it. Also, don't feel like you have to have a new and different outfit each day/night. Mix and match and reuse--unless it is really standoutish--no one will remember what you wore to dinner (or the pool or whereever) one day to the next.

Thanks! I wasnt going to shop for cruise clothes just raid my girlfriends closets. Im not taking my kids with me (Thank the Lord) So dressing up wont be a problem. Ill find some great clothes I loooove the sunshine and little sun dresses so itll be ok! Thanks for all the great advice!

Posters are spot-on with their responses. About the only thing I would add is sundresses or maxi dresses (not the beachy kind) work well for casual nights. I usually bring a couple of flirty skirts to interchange with tops too.

On board or on shore, just do what you'd wear in summer at home or at the pool/beach. For dinner, you can dress up as much as you like for elegant nights, otherwise what you'd wear to a nicer restaurant at home works.

You probably don't have to buy much new, but it's fun to look, especially if, like me, you don't have many occasions to wear dressy clothes.

Archived