Zumba on board?

jody

I am part of an aquatic Zumba group. I'd love to see water aroebics or Zumba on the Maasdam! Aquatic Zumba is a great way to do the Zumba movements without the joint pain. The music has a fast Latin beat and feel. Most of the music is in Spanish, with a few songs in English, at least the songs I have heard.

can someone please tell me what Zumba is-like Rumba?

Zumba began with Beto Perez, a Colombian, who taught exercise classes (the phenomenon began ?15+yrs ago). It spread slowly initially and now it appears to be "everywhere", and all around the world! It began as all Latin music and Latin moves...rhumba, merengue, salsa, flamenco, etc. There are various "canned" routines that many Zumba instructors follow as per the Zumba company's "ZIN network membership".

So, to answer your question....it really depends on the instructor. Instructors are free to do their own choreography. Some instructors use more aerobic, fitness moves while others use mostly dance moves...and still others will do a fusion.

Overall, it is a good workout. Never known HAL to have any Zumba classes. However, I was recently on the Princess Sapphire and they did have Zumba in the mornings. It was well attended. I went once, and it was pretty easy. It was more like "Zumba Gold" which uses slower, easier, and safer moves for all age groups. Regular Zumba classes can be frenetic, but fun. Also, the Zumba formula is supposed to be 70% international/Latin and 30% whatever you like. Just watched a Zumba Gold routine on Youtube done to the song "Ghostbusters".

Maybe because HAL has an older demographics that they choose not have Zumba..liability? I would think though, that it could be offered on their one week cruises where there is a younger and mixed age group.

Thanks for the replies. I first tried Zumba last year on the Island Princess and have been taking classes locally since then. It sounds like I shouldn't expect to see it on the Maasdam for my New England/Canada cruise, but I'll look, just in case.

As noted above, Zumba is basically salsa type 'dancing' for exercise. I've found the music fun (we've danced to Selena, Whitney Houston among other more traditional latin type songs) and it really is a good time with a variety of ages (and even a few men) in our classes.

Thanks again for the input! I'm looking forward to trying out HAL even if there is no Zumba.

I know what Zumba is but what the heck are Wang-wangs? lol

A mixed drink with about 7 or 8 different liquors ..:eek::eek:Very potent!

Check out this thread, & Rev. Neal's post.. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437210&highlight=wang+wang+receipe

This is the receipe which Rev. Neal posted in 2008: According to the bar tenders on the Zaandam, a Wang Wang contains:

Gin

Vodka

Rum

Triple sec

Scotch

Bourbon

Brandy

Orange juice

Pineapple juice.

In post No. 28 Copper 10-8 said it also has tequila in it, but Rev. Neal took it off a HAL menue....Interesting thread, with pics..

Cheers...Betty

A mixed drink with about 7 or 8 different liquors ..:eek::eek:Very potent!

Check out this thread, & Rev. Neal's post.. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437210&highlight=wang+wang+receipe

This is the receipe which Rev. Neal posted in 2008: According to the bar tenders on the Zaandam, a Wang Wang contains:

Gin

Vodka

Rum

Triple sec

Scotch

Bourbon

Brandy

Orange juice

Pineapple juice.

In post No. 28 Copper 10-8 said it also has tequila in it, but Rev. Neal took it off a HAL menue....Interesting thread, with pics..

Cheers...Betty

lol with that drink, who needs zumba? or maybe after that drink, while attempting zumba, you'll come up with the next dance fad. you can call it the wang-wang lol

The drink is actually named after a famous little person Filipino actor. His name is actually Weng Weng. Since the "e" is pronounced like a long "a" the drink wound up being the wang wang on board the ships. But the true name is weng weng. I obviously spend too much time at the bar.

I am sure the next post will be a word from my sponsor!!!:cool:

JJPACER: On a recent Maasdam cruise the Tai Chi instructor also offered some type of water exercise in the pool in the morning. Never did walk by and see what type though. It sure does sound like a good idea as it is so much easier in the pool. I have to admit though there were a couple of days when the pool was moving!!;) Surfing lessons next?

Archived