Barcelona - Hop On Hop Off Bus

I think you will be glad you chose the red bus option...We checked them both out once we got to Barcelona..and noticed their was always long lines waiting to get back on the overly crowded blue bus and many had to wait until the next scheduled bus arrived..especially at popular HO locations...We were always able to HO back on the red bus and have a choice of seats (love the top deck seating) without a wait...I think one of the reasons for this is the blue bus is city owned and advertises HEAVILY so many tourists assume it's the best option...the red bus is privately owned so less advertising...Just a personal suggestion...even though they give you ear phones (earbud airplane type) I used my small travel headphones that fit in the universal jack and they were much more comfortable and the sound was far better...Enjoy !!

Thanks - great idea about the ear phones... I will let everyone know my experience with the red HOHO:D

• 1 month later...
Thanks - great idea about the ear phones... I will let everyone know my experience with the red HOHO:D

Hi onevacationlover!

Did you return from Barcelona yet? I was wondering what your experience was. How was the commentary on the red company HOHO bus? Did you enjoy it? I am thinking about just riding it straight through to get an overview. Which lines did you take and which one did you prefer? I am leaving for Barcelona in two weeks, and will be by myself for a day in Barcelona. Here was my plan: Aerobus from BCN to Placa Catalunya, drop luggage off at Locker Storage. HOHO bus to get an overview. But then my problem is once I get back to my luggage in Placa Catalunya, do you think it is safe for a single gal to be walking with her luggage from Placa Catalunya to the Columbus to catch the Blue Shuttle bus to the cruise port?? If not, what's the best way to get to the cruise port once I get my luggage?? I hear even taxi's will take advantage of people, and I'm just a little weary being by myself. I've never been anywhere in Europe and speak no Spanish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

scrappydoo

We have an apartment at Placa Espanya; so I believe that is pretty close to Playa Catalunya...:eek:

Hope you have had an enjoyable cruise. My husband and I will be in B in October after a Med Romantic cruise. Would love to know if the apartment you stayed at was close to attractions and of a good standard. We are looking for accomodation for two night post-cruise and not wanting to spend a huge amount. Am also looking for pre-cruise accomodation in Venice, that is convenient to port and also attractions.

J

• 6 months later...
Hi onevacationlover!

Did you return from Barcelona yet? I was wondering what your experience was. How was the commentary on the red company HOHO bus? Did you enjoy it? I am thinking about just riding it straight through to get an overview. Which lines did you take and which one did you prefer? I am leaving for Barcelona in two weeks, and will be by myself for a day in Barcelona. Here was my plan: Aerobus from BCN to Placa Catalunya, drop luggage off at Locker Storage. HOHO bus to get an overview. But then my problem is once I get back to my luggage in Placa Catalunya, do you think it is safe for a single gal to be walking with her luggage from Placa Catalunya to the Columbus to catch the Blue Shuttle bus to the cruise port?? If not, what's the best way to get to the cruise port once I get my luggage?? I hear even taxi's will take advantage of people, and I'm just a little weary being by myself. I've never been anywhere in Europe and speak no Spanish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

scrappydoo

Hi Scrappydoo..it's been awhile since I have logged in..

Loved the Red HoHo...we were lucky there was a stop outside our apartment but where we were at --it had all forms of transportation nearby.. we took all the routes on the red bus...so easy and you don't have to worry we you are going but know confidently that you will get there..

So, how did it go for you?

Hi Scrappydoo..it's been awhile since I have logged in..

Loved the Red HoHo...we were lucky there was a stop outside our apartment but where we were at --it had all forms of transportation nearby.. we took all the routes on the red bus...so easy and you don't have to worry we you are going but know confidently that you will get there..

So, how did it go for you?

Glad you enjoyed the Red HOHO and thanks for an update...I know I for one always enjoy hearing back on the experience of others we have given a recommendation to.

[

Hi there - we were in Barcelona a few weeks ago and went on the "Barcelona Bus Turistic" which is advertised as the Barcelona Officiall Tour bus. We were very happy with our choice. Price 24 Euro. We did the popular Red and Blue route. www.barcelonabusturistic.cat will have the routes for you.

Your best bet to and from port will be by a licensed taxi.

Barcelona is beautiful. Need lots of warm clothes this time of the year.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Can you buy tickets for one or both companies at most hotels? We'll be at the Hotel Jazz. If you can do this, do you still have to go somewhere else to have them validated? And if you buy them right on the bus, is it cash only? Sorry for so many questions but I want to be prepared when we arrive in April.

Can you buy tickets for one or both companies at most hotels? We'll be at the Hotel Jazz. If you can do this, do you still have to go somewhere else to have them validated? And if you buy them right on the bus, is it cash only? Sorry for so many questions but I want to be prepared when we arrive in April.

Here is a copy of a previous post of mine on CC re HoHo buses in Barcelona. It may help to answer your queries.

There are 2 companies which operate HOHO buses in Barcelona.

Barcelona City Tour (red bus)

Barcelona%20Tour_5850_1.jpg

2 routes (East and West). Each route takes approximately 2 hours.

East Route

Placa Catalunya

Catedral-Barri Gòtic

Port Vell

Museu d’Història de Catalunya

Barceloneta

Port Olímpic

Platja del Bogatell

Nova Mar Bella

Fòrum

Glòries-Torre Agbar

Sagrada Familia

Hospital de la Sta

Park Güell

Tibidabo

La Pedrera

Casa Batlló

West Route

Plaça Catalunya

Catedral-Barri Gòtic

Passeig de Colom

World Trade Center

Jardins de Miramar

Fundació Joan Miró

Anella Olímpica

MNAC (Museo Nacional de Catalunya)

Poble Espanyol

Mies van der Rohe/Caixa Fòrum

Plaça Espanya

Estació de Sants

Camp Nou (F.C. Barcelona)

Plaça Pius XII

L’Illa Diagonal

Avinguda Diagonal

La Pedrera

Casa Batlló

The tickets are for 1 or 2 days (€24 or €31) and can be bought in advance on the internet or on the bus

They also offer a discount for seniors (65+). The senior fares are €18 for 1 day and €22 for 2 days.

All tickets are cheaper if booked online in advance. You exchange your online voucher for your ticket on the bus at any stop.

City Tour tickets

Bus Turistic (blue and white bus)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlYWrUse9b4R4rIwydOVltO74a9Wi4sjzkJugWFkqiyjaTd18H

3 routes from the end of March to the beginning of November and 2 routes the rest of the year. The blue and red routes take approximately 2 hours. The green route about 40 minutes

Blue route

Placa de Catalunya

Casa Batllo by Gaudi

Fundacio Antoni Tapies museum

Passeig de Gracia

La Pedrera by Gaudi

Sagrada Familia church by Gaudi

Gracia area

Parc Guell by Gaudi (This stop has 1100m walk slightly uphill)

Tramvia Blau – Tibidabo

Sarria area

Monestir de Pedralbes

Colleccio Thyssen

Palau Reial

Pavellons Guell

Barcelona Football Club

Francesc Macia - Diagonal

MACBA museum

CCCB museum

Red route

Placa de Catalunya

Casa Batllo by Gaudi

Fundacio Antoni Tapies museum

Passeig de Gracia

La Pedrera by Gaudi

Francesc Macia - Diagonal

Estacio de Sants

Creu Coberta

Placa d'Espanya

Caixa Forum

Pavello Van Der Rohe

Poble Espanyol

MNAC

Anella Olimpica - area

Funicular de Montjuïc

Fundacio Joan Miro

Miramar - Jardins Costa i Llobera

World Trade Center

Colom - Museu Maritim

Port Vell

Museu d'Historia de Catalunya

Port Olimpic

Place de la Citadel – Zoo

Pla de Palau

Barri Gotic

Green route (summer only)

Port Olimpic area

Platja del Bogatell - beach

Parc del Forum

Parc Diagonal Mar

Poblenou area

The tickets are for 1 or 2 days (€24 or €31) and can be bought in advance on the internet, at tourist information points, newsstands and bookshops, hotels or on the bus.

Tickets are cheaper if booked online in advance. You need to exchange your online voucher for a ticket at Plaça de Catalunya or Plaça Sant Jaume in the Gothic Quarter.

Bus Turistic tickets

Remember the tickets for the 2 companies are not interchangeable.

Hi there, sorry for only getting back to you now, was away. Your question has been answered re Bus.

Not sure how long you will be in Barcelona for......Remember - to book your tickets for "Sagrada Famila" on-line.

Also if you google "Sandemans- Free Walking tours" in Barcelona , you pay at the end of the tour whatever you think the tour is worth. DH and I paid E10/ea for an excellent well planned tour. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

OUr time was limited in Barcelona too. We did the ho/ho bus and like others mentioned it is by far the best way to see BCN in limited time! We also did the ho/ho bus in other countries and we felt the one in BCN was the best! (we also had perfect weather that day so that might have something to do with it too ;)) The company we used was called bus Turistic

The one we went on had 3 routes, we did 2 of the routes. It was easy for us to pick up and get on/off (when we had time, not a lot)

you can read all about it in my review with pics. We would recommend the bus!

(you might have to scroll down a little to get to it)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=2

Thanks:) We probably should wait till later too;) Did you feel safe in Barcelona?

I just wanted to add that one of my DD's is in Barcelona now for the semester. She LOVES it and went to a marvelous, safe club that backed up to the Mediterranean last week.

One thing she did say is that one of the group had already been pick pocketed. Her friend was opening the door on the metro and had taken her hand briefly off her bag, a woman hit against her and spoke and then she thinks that another lefted the flap on the bag, unzipped it and took out the wallet. Luckily all she lost was some cash and her student insurance card. The pickpockets there are VERY good.

I just wanted to add that one of my DD's is in Barcelona now for the semester. She LOVES it and went to a marvelous, safe club that backed up to the Mediterranean last week.

One thing she did say is that one of the group had already been pick pocketed. Her friend was opening the door on the metro and had taken her hand briefly off her bag, a woman hit against her and spoke and then she thinks that another lefted the flap on the bag, unzipped it and took out the wallet. Luckily all she lost was some cash and her student insurance card. The pickpockets there are VERY good.

Not trying to hijack this thread but... That is great news to hear because my fiance and I are thinking of moving to Barcelona! Does she think she could live there?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, does anyone know how long it would take to go round the whole red route? (without getting off) Hubby and i will be in Barcelona in August and are flying in at 10am and are planning on dropping our bags off at the ship, checking in and going for a wander before we have to be back at the ship (Departs at 6pm).

I understand this is the best way to get around!

Thanks,

Hi, does anyone know how long it would take to go round the whole red route? (without getting off) Hubby and i will be in Barcelona in August and are flying in at 10am and are planning on dropping our bags off at the ship, checking in and going for a wander before we have to be back at the ship (Departs at 6pm).

I understand this is the best way to get around!

Thanks,

Going around the entire red route without getting off should be on the order of a little over two hours (traffic depending).

This may sound like a silly question, but on the red bus (Barcelona City Tour), how do you know if it is the east or west route ( we'd be getting on at a stop that has both)? We don't speak the language so we're a little insecure! Also, how likely is it that a few might be full and pass us by? We'll be buying advance tickets for Sagrada Familia and will want to plan our time.

This may sound like a silly question, but on the red bus (Barcelona City Tour), how do you know if it is the east or west route ( we'd be getting on at a stop that has both)? We don't speak the language so we're a little insecure! Also, how likely is it that a few might be full and pass us by? We'll be buying advance tickets for Sagrada Familia and will want to plan our time.

Not a silly question at all. It is clearly marked on the front of the bus.

East Route = Ruta Est (Ruta Verda - Green route)

West Route = Ruta Oest (Ruta Taronja - Orange route).

Sometimes I have seen it also in English but not always.

Guess I phrased that wrong. I meant the red bus line itself not the red line of the blue bus. Sorry my bad phrasing :P

I see a list of stops for the red company but can't find a map and I'm not familiar enough to be able to map it in my head even though I have spent hours looking at Barcelona maps lol

Michellelhs,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, It's similar to the one posted on this thread but with more details.

I did it last year, they give you maps when you board, and most hotels or tourist office will let you look at the map before purchasing tix.

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/v/vspfiles/maps/BARCELONA.pdf

Guess I phrased that wrong. I meant the red bus line itself not the red line of the blue bus. Sorry my bad phrasing :P

I see a list of stops for the red company but can't find a map and I'm not familiar enough to be able to map it in my head even though I have spent hours looking at Barcelona maps lol

Here is the map for Barcelona City Tours (Red Bus). It is not a very good map but it gives some idea of the two routes. I think you really need to read it alongside a regular Barcelona map.

Barcelona City Tour map

You can get a bit more information about their routes on their website

East Route

West Route

Click on the name of a place and it shows details and a smaller, more detailed, map of that particular area.

The one jj6961 posted was Bus Turistic (Blue & White Bus). The same as my previous post

Archived