First name different in booking than passport

sppunk

I just realized while looking at my booking details, my listed first name is Chris yet my US-issued passport has Christopher (which isn't even on my govt issued license or house deed, go figure).

I couldn't find anywhere to change this on HAL's booking details site myself, so am I correct in assuming my TA needs to change the first name?

Anyone have any experience with this slight first name variation - or a shortened first name on booking than on the passport? I'd much rather my onboard account by under Chris, as it's my credit card, license, bank account, etc etc etc.

Something similar happened to friends of ours travelling on RCI. They were denied boarding :( so get the booking fixed to match your passport.

(My DH does not use his first name usually, but that is what is on his passport, so that is what HAL knows him by)

We've had a misspelled name one time. They had Sean and my son's name is Shawn.

It was another cruiseline but I called and they had to issue new documents with the correct spelling of his name. This was the age before we could print out our own doc's.

We were told it had to match the passport.

I couldn't find anywhere to change this on HAL's booking details site myself, so am I correct in assuming my TA needs to change the first name?

On our cruise with Oceania last year we got our documents & realized my last name was misspelled (didn't change my name when married). I called O directly to get it changed, our TA was off that day & I wanted to make the change right away. When we booked with him again on HAL this year we got our electronic confirmation & name was still wrong...I had forgotten to update it w our TA. Was a simple fix & he re-sent our confirmation, but worth going through the effort so you don't have any trouble boarding.

Thanks everyone, shot the TA a note to change the name on the booking. Wasn't sure if that was easy ... first time using this TA caused this hiccup.

Doesn't make any difference who's fault it is, you just need to get it straightened out before you try getting on your cruise ship. Telling your TA was a smart decision. They deal with these kind of problems all the time.

Thanks everyone, shot the TA a note to change the name on the booking. Wasn't sure if that was easy ... first time using this TA caused this hiccup.

Since it is your first time with this TA, double-check online in a few days. HAL and/or the TA should send you an email to let you know about the change, but check for yourself just to make sure.

Sent email last night, had a return at 9:15 am saying she had fixed the name. Logged into HAL and it showed the updated name to match the passport.

That was painless, but certainly glad I caught this now instead of later!

Archived