Why do people care?

I think people should always be able to choose the option to dress up or not and my family usually does but not to a extreme just nice outfits and and suit and tie for hubby, boys are usually in a dress shirt and tie ...just for dinner and change afterwards.( only on formal nights) for regular nights it is khakis and polos usually

But since I respect that people have the choice to dress up or not..I feel those who choose not to follow the dress code for the dining room should also go to the alternative dining places for that night ..the buffett or elsewhere. It is a fair trade off for everyone. If we don't dress up that night, we will dine elsewhere and not disrespect the dress guidelines. I know going in what the expectation is for the dining room ( I am truly speaking about formal nights...the other nights are really very laid back and I don't care,) but I think formal nights should remain a little more special for those who enjoy them...and the attire and atmosphere is part of that ...but only for dining...I really don't care if you stay dressed up all night afterward or like my hubby and teen boys run to change as soon a possible. I have seen people turned away at the dining room on occasion...and I always "silently" cheer for the dining room personnel who are standing up to passengers and sticking to guidelines even when its the unpopular thing to do.

However I'm sure some people will feel that they can do what they want, when they want and wherever they want, just because they think they can , its sadly just they way the world is anymore.

A poster before talked about the "younger generation" and wearing jeans to a fancy restaurant. This made me wonder what my 23 year old son would do if he was on a cruise. I was feeling smug when I asked (as I know how we brought him up) what he would wear on a formal nights dinner. I was floored by his answer. "Whatever my girlfriend says I should wear." Gotta love him no matter what age.

I love it!! a perfect answer...lol ...he learned quickly...as I always tell my hubby...happy wife, happy life...

most of the time he lets me believe it and other times...I get a reality check...lol.

I only have boys and they are 15 and almost 19 ( they dress up for formal nights and they don't mind ..they know its expected of them and they have fun with it...and are very agreeable) , they know mom likes it!!

I do not care enough to get all upset by it or have my evening ruined or whatnot.

That said, I do care for the same reason that I care about the decor in the room, the china on the table etc--it sets the tone for the whole meal. It wouldn't feel elegant if the food were served on paper plates, or if the dining room had garish neon lights on the walls, and it feels a lot less elegant if half of the room is wearing "street" clothes.

Personally, I really enjoy that elegant feel. It is a major reason I cruise. It is NOT a secret that there are formal nights on a cruise and I do feel that the considerate thing to do if you do not wish to partake is to dine in one of the many alternate venues offered by the line and not take away from the elegant/formal feel that the line has stated should be the norm for dinner that night:)

Well said..I totally agree!!

Well said..I totally agree!!

Then why don't they offer the same menu in these "many" other venues and perhaps people would...otherwise we will dress smart casual i.e. khaki and a collared shirt. i would like to enjoy the menu offered in the main dining room without formal attire as the food that night tends to be different than the usual.

If someone comes to the MDR on formal night dressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, yes I care... I care that the dining room staff doesn't throw the bum out!

On the Voyager of the Seas in march I did see someone turned away from the MDR who wasn't wearing full length trousers.

I guess I would feel out of place though if everyone else was wearing shorts and flip flops and we were the only ones dressed formal.

Originally Posted by yogimax viewpost.gif

If someone comes to the MDR on formal night dressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, yes I care... I care that the dining room staff doesn't throw the bum out!

I still have not seen one explanation of how someone not dressing up for formal night ruins your dinner. Why should I have to be told I can't or shouldn't be allowed to eat in the MDR because I have jeans and a T Shirt. But I do have a couple of resons for my view.

1- I stopped playing dress up when I was a child.

2- I have to dress up for work everyday.

3- It is the MDR on Royal Caaribbean, not the Queen Mary 2.

4- If I am in there eating and you choose to play dress up, I don't judge you for wearing a tuxedo or evening gown, on a cruise.

5- I am on vacation!!!

So if I know your someone that will judge someone for not dressing to your standards, and I have the honor of sitting at your table and hear you judge people for not dressing up, my outfits will be to the extreme just to piss you off for being so judgmental of people you don't know and you choose to get excited about playing dress up.

We like to dress up a little, but on one of our Explorer cruises my husband filled up with a lot of fluid probably due to his recently prescribed blood pressure meds. In order to get him in his suit, he had to lay down on the bed and I got his pants hooked. However, he could not get into any of his shoes, so he had to wear his bedroom slippers. That night we walked down the promenade to the show and I don't think anyone even noticed his stunning footwear. Whatever works! We have noticed that some people do not follow the dress code, but it doesn't affect us one way or the other. Royal Caribbean seems to be less stringent in enforcement than some other lines. I personally love seeing the little ones all dressed up; they look so cute. luvs

Originally Posted by yogimax viewpost.gif

I still have not seen one explanation of how someone not dressing up for formal night ruins your dinner. Why should I have to be told I can't or shouldn't be allowed to eat in the MDR because I have jeans and a T Shirt. But I do have a couple of resons for my view.

1- I stopped playing dress up when I was a child.

2- I have to dress up for work everyday.

3- It is the MDR on Royal Caaribbean, not the Queen Mary 2.

4- If I am in there eating and you choose to play dress up, I don't judge you for wearing a tuxedo or evening gown, on a cruise.

5- I am on vacation!!!

So if I know your someone that will judge someone for not dressing to your standards, and I have the honor of sitting at your table and hear you judge people for not dressing up, my outfits will be to the extreme just to piss you off for being so judgmental of people you don't know and you choose to get excited about playing dress up.

1. You say you stopped playing dress up when you were a child but clearly you've not grown out of your teenage rebellion stage otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to rebel on the 1 or 2 nights out of a whole lot more.

2. Most of us have to dress up for work. Some of us still enjoying dressing formally and others like yourself do not but that is irrelevant. It is in poor taste to ignore the guidelines.

3. That's right its not the Queen Mary - if it were you'd be required to dress formally for dinner every night.

4. You would never have the opportunity to judge me because I follow the dress code and merely ask that you do too.

5. If you feel that formal attire would ruin your vacation why not try a different line that doesn't have formal nights eg Norwegian - I hear they're very good.

As for your comment "I still haven't seen one explanation...", really?

Heres a quick summation of why people care about others dressing down on formal nights:

It is rude. Following the guidelines is the polite thing to do and shows respect for fellow passengers and the cruise line who set the formal dress-code. It is simple decorum.

When everyone makes an effort to dress according to the guidelines it creates an opulent atmosphere and sets the tone for the evening. Under-dressed passengers undermine the efforts of staff and code abiding passengers in creating a 5 star fine-dining atmosphere. It is an event many look forward to and should be treated as such.

"From a larger perspective, if companies/society continues to cater to the lowest common denominator, even if it isn't the majority, then value, quality and the uniqueness of our society will continue to be whitewashed until it becomes bland and lost".

Tradition. Formal dining has been a feature of cruises since conception and cannot be experienced on a regular holiday. It is why many choose to cruise. There are other lines that don't have formal dining but you chose this one.

Personally, I really commend everyone who chooses to eat elsewhere rather than dress informally in the MDR on formal night. I appreciate and respect that you are thinking of others. I also commend everyone who isn't bothered but go out of their way to dress formally despite that. Thank you.

5. If you feel that formal attire would ruin your vacation why not try a different line that doesn't have formal nights eg Norwegian - I hear they're very good.

Not everyone has the luxury of picking and choosing cruise lines-either cost prohibitive or embarkation prohibitive or destination prohibitive. Speaking of thinking only of oneself; you have just illustrated that. Your world must be continually disrupted and ruined if how someone chooses to dress can RUIN the embiance, decor or just your evening. If they are not harming you or limiting you, live and let live. I don't think anyone would come on here and say you ruined the luau cause you refused to wear a lei and grass skirt or suggest you go somewhere else. Enjoy your evening and let others enjoy theirs.

"From a larger perspective, if companies/society continues to cater to the lowest common denominator, even if it isn't the majority, then value, quality and the uniqueness of our society will continue to be whitewashed until it becomes bland and lost". Speaking of rude and arrogant. I assume you believe yourself to be the highest denominator---I wonder if anyone else does.

Personally, I really commend everyone who chooses to eat elsewhere rather than dress informally in the MDR on formal night. I appreciate and respect that you are thinking of others. I also commend everyone who isn't bothered but go out of their way to dress formally despite that. Thank you. And I commend those who can think of others and accept the choices they make based on their circumstances or priorities. Judge not lest ye be judged.

We're traveling literally half way across the planet to go on our dream honeymoon - Alaska and Disney World. We're going to have to bring clothes that range from fleece jackets and long underwear to shorts and summer dresses. Where we live dress is very casual. You can wear a nice pair of jeans or khaki pants to everything; wedding, restaurant, job interview etc. Pretty much the only time a man ever wears a suit is when he gets married. Cocktail dresses are really only worn by women in their 40's and up. No young woman dresses that way. This has nothing to do with morals or bla bla bla, it has to do with fashion. And we're actually a country known for our beautiful people.

I find it funny that people are so quick to judge others, or tell others how to spend their money. Because I'm in jeans you assume that I'm obnoxious and rude? Chances are you're going to be the snob screaming at the waiters and room steward and acting all entighteled.

Anyways, we have 2 formal nights on our Alaskan cruise. I was planning on having us eat at the Windjammer, since there's no way I'm lugging clothes we won't wear for the rest of the month half way across the world, wasting expensive luggage space on fancy shoes (which you won't even approve of...) to partake in what is as far as we're concerned silly adult dress up time. But after reading this ENTIRE thread I have changed my mind.

My husband and I are spending a fortune on this once in a lifetime trip. There is no reason why we shouldn't enjoy the dinner offered every night in the MDR. I hate buffets and I don't like eating in the room. So unless we're offered a price reduction for missing 2 nights in the MDR - we'll be the good looking couple sitting politely, joking with our waiter and out shining everyone in our nice jeans.

If this bothers you, you are more than welcome to try one of the cruiselines where the dress code is a rule and not a suggestion, like Cunard. As long as this is still a suggestion there's nothing you can do about it other than feel like you're better human beings than us. Good for you.

We're traveling literally half way across the planet to go on our dream honeymoon - If this bothers you, you are more than welcome to try one of the cruiselines where the dress code is a rule and not a suggestion, like Cunard. As long as this is still a suggestion there's nothing you can do about it other than feel like you're better human beings than us. Good for you.

Good for you. Have a wonderful honeymoon. Who knows,you may be too busy to get to MDR.;)

We're traveling literally half way across the planet to go on our dream honeymoon - Alaska and Disney World. We're going to have to bring clothes that range from fleece jackets and long underwear to shorts and summer dresses. Where we live dress is very casual. You can wear a nice pair of jeans or khaki pants to everything; wedding, restaurant, job interview etc. Pretty much the only time a man ever wears a suit is when he gets married. Cocktail dresses are really only worn by women in their 40's and up. No young woman dresses that way. This has nothing to do with morals or bla bla bla, it has to do with fashion. And we're actually a country known for our beautiful people.

I find it funny that people are so quick to judge others, or tell others how to spend their money. Because I'm in jeans you assume that I'm obnoxious and rude? Chances are you're going to be the snob screaming at the waiters and room steward and acting all entighteled.

Anyways, we have 2 formal nights on our Alaskan cruise. I was planning on having us eat at the Windjammer, since there's no way I'm lugging clothes we won't wear for the rest of the month half way across the world, wasting expensive luggage space on fancy shoes (which you won't even approve of...) to partake in what is as far as we're concerned silly adult dress up time. But after reading this ENTIRE thread I have changed my mind.

My husband and I are spending a fortune on this once in a lifetime trip. There is no reason why we shouldn't enjoy the dinner offered every night in the MDR. I hate buffets and I don't like eating in the room. So unless we're offered a price reduction for missing 2 nights in the MDR - we'll be the good looking couple sitting politely, joking with our waiter and out shining everyone in our nice jeans.

If this bothers you, you are more than welcome to try one of the cruiselines where the dress code is a rule and not a suggestion, like Cunard. As long as this is still a suggestion there's nothing you can do about it other than feel like you're better human beings than us. Good for you.

one correction - many men here never ever wear a suit, not even at their wedding. They just wear dress pants and a nice shirt at their wedding.

(not even sure about the dress pants, just pants).

and they most certainly never wear a suit to a funeral.....

and women don't dress up for funerals either.........

you wear whatever you're wearing when you're notified that someone has died and the funeral is in a few hours....(assuming you even get a few hours warning)...

no suits, no ties, no dressy dresses.......

not even the immediate family dresses up....no one dresses up....it's not a party....it's a funeral..

one correction - many men here never ever wear a suit, not even at their wedding. They just wear dress pants and a nice shirt at their wedding.

you wear whatever you're wearing when you're notified that someone has died and the funeral is in a few hours....(assuming you even get a few hours warning)...

not even the immediate family dresses up....no one dresses up....it's not a party....it's a funeral..

I think that's a really good point. I've never been to a funeral where the vast majority of men have not been in suits. And I have never been to a wedding where the groom wasn't wear at least a suit (almost all have been in tuxes).

But, it should also explain why some people think it is inappropriate not to comply with the requested dress code. When requested to dress a certain way, we just don't think about it. We just do it. For us, it just isn't that big of a deal.

You might want to look up what is a cocktail dress as I think you are confused on exactly what it is. Far more young people wear them than women over 40. Older women when dressing up tend to wear floor length dresses. Where younger women prefer shorter dresses or cocktail dresses.

Please let me know what country you are talking about. I may want to move there...

Then why don't they offer the same menu in these "many" other venues and perhaps people would...otherwise we will dress smart casual i.e. khaki and a collared shirt. i would like to enjoy the menu offered in the main dining room without formal attire as the food that night tends to be different than the usual.

They absolutely should and I wish they did, but that being said, if I plan to dine in the MDR on a formal night I will make the effort to dress up a bit and not treat it as if it was just any other night as most of the nights in MDR are very causal anyway so for the one or two nights they request that you step it up a little more...its fine with me and its not that hard to do. Like I said before, you know whats expected before you ever get on the ship, so just plan accordingly..

Are there no Irish where you come from? There's no better party than an Irish funeral.:confused::D:D

They absolutely should and I wish they did, but that being said, if I plan to dine in the MDR on a formal night I will make the effort to dress up a bit and not treat it as if it was just any other night as most of the nights in MDR are very causal anyway so for the one or two nights they request that you step it up a little more...its fine with me and its not that hard to do. Like I said before, you know whats expected before you ever get on the ship, so just plan accordingly..

Since it is only suggested then you should also plan to see others wearing what works for them; the only thing not allowed from what I read are shorts and tank tops (yes even on formal nights that appears to be the only limitations). It is not that hard to accept that others need to make different choices than me; so I will not judge or villify someone for what they choose to wear. An earlier poster mentioned that if seeing others NOT dressed for formal night is so distressful then I believe there are ships (Queen Mary) that have strict dress codes for formal and evening dining. However, I truly believe if someone wanted to dress formally every night(even on casual/tropical suggested nights) on RCCL no one would have a problem with that...many people are very accepting.

Archived