***Live from the Sojourn 14 Day Grand Med***

ST

Did the chef go to the market and let pax come along?

We did that on our first Seabourn cruise and it was great! The second cruise the chef did not.

purpleally;

On the first cruise I remember I day 2 they did do it because they were canvassing for people in the Colonnade that morning at 8:30am that wanted to join the Chef. This cruise I haven't heard a thing about it as of yet?:eek:

ST - Thanks for taking the time to post the menus, always a matter of interest to us gourmands (aka, gluttons). Are you using a scanner to copy them? If so, how do you do that, as helpful info for those of us who might like to do so on future cruises? I ask if you are using a scanner as there seem to be fewer typos (e.g. "heatens" for "heathens" or "trusters" for "thrusters") than in your narrative posts. If you are using a scanner, could you be so kind as to give us some details about it and how you convert the data to a format that you can post on CC. Thanks for you kind technical advice.

freddie...nope all by hand! I type approx 90-100 w.p.m. so the menus don't take me that long to type by hand.;):eek:;)

Day 12: Mahon, Spain 8:00am-5:00pm

Good morning from sleepy Seabourn Sqaure once again this morning. Not a soul here and I woke up an hour late...go figure:confused::eek:

It looks to be very cold outside as I can see the white tips on the ocean and the winds seem to be blowing pretty strong as well. We are just now just awaiting offshore here in Mahon, Spain (Menorca) and have come to a complete stop as the winds are extremely high and the Bridge is assessing or not if they will proceed into the port and pier area. We have yet to take onboard our pilot as we are just sitting here waiting.:confused: We are currently 1 hour late by the time we decided to take on the Pilot and make our way towards the pier and get tied up.

I can't believe it's Tuesday and we leave in less than 3 days time from this beautiful ship. How time flies when you are having such a good time. They are calling for a high here today of 17C or 66F but truthfully doesn't look like it all.

We plan on having a later breakfast this morning and allow the ZOO (The Colonnade) to clear out a bit after the tours are dispatched.

The Colonnade opens this morning at 7:30am and the Restaurant at 8:00am.

More to come later this morning from the Sojourn about to dock or not here in Mahon, Spain....stay tuned!:eek:

Onboard Activities Today;

8:00am Arrival?...who knows...stay tuned!:eek:

10:30am Golf Putting Enthusiasts, The Retreat, Deck 11

12:00 noon-2:00pm Clonnade opens for Lunch, Greek

12:30pm-3:30pm Patio Grill opens for Lunch, Gyros

2:00pm Navigational Bridge Visit

2:30pm Unhosted Social Brdige Play, Card Room, Deck 7

3:30pm Scrabble Get-Toether, Card Room, Deck 7

4:00pm-5:00pm Afternoon Tea & Piano Melodies, Observation Bar, Deck 10

5:00pm Friends of Bill W. Conference Room #1, Deck 5

5:30pm All Aboard

6:00pm Departure, Sojourn departs for Ibiza, Spain

Activities Onboard Tonight:

Tonight's attire: Elegantly Casual

6:30pm Panoramic Piano Moods with Pierre, Observation Bar, Deck 10

6:30pm LGBT Get Together, The Club, Deck 5

6:30pm-8:00pm Club Cocktails, The Club, Deck 5

6:45pm PRE DINNER SHOWTIME: "Jamie Allan-Maverick Magician", Grand Salon Deck 6

8:45pm Evenings Melodies with Guitarist Michael Liebler, The Club, Deck 5

9:30pm Smooth Melodies with Pierre, Observation Bar, Deck 10

9:45pm "Rock the Boat Dance Party", The Club, Deck 5

Annoucement from the Bridge: Mahon, Spain

The Captain just came over the P.A. to tell us all of the current situation and the weather front that started to blow over the island of Menorca at approx. 6:00am this morning preventing us from docking on-time. Captain Elliott advises us all now that they believe along with the Habour Master, that the weather should clear up in the next 30 minutes or so and if everything goes according to plan we should be tied up alongside the pier between 9:00am-9:30am....stay tuned!:eek:;):eek:

Post Breakfast Update;

We just left the Colonnade whereby there was a full on "ATTACK" the place was packed, items running out in the displays, looked almost like a Russian Grocery store with the shelves bare and all....people were all over the place criss crossing between stations. I felt like we were lucky when we pulled up at 8:45am to get our usual table outside by the rail.

I ordered my usual two poached eggs on dry brown with large O.J. and presse coffee by Mario...strong enough to grow hair on your chest!:eek:

We felt bad for the crew this morning because with our delayed arrival by about 2.5 hours it certainly had an impact on breakfast for the Colonnade.

Bobby the Cruise Director come over the P.A. twice to ask people NOT to congregate around Deck 3 as the ship was not cleared and it created a security risk. Apparently there were well over 50+ paxs that were in the stairwells from Deck 4 to Deck 3 waiting to get off the ship.

Finally at 9:20am, the annoucement came over that the ship was cleared for anyone wanting to go ashore. We have kept our back onboard time still to 5:30pm and we are still setting sail for Ibiza, Spain at 6:00pm as previously scheduled. There is no deviation in our times of departure even though we have arrived 2.5 hours late approx.

The current temperature is 18C or 66F and overcast skies and they are calling for a high of 21C or 72F under sunny skies later today. Hopefully it will clear just like yesterday in Porto Torres, Sardinia.

More to come from aboard Sojourn, here in the beautiful port of Mahon, Spain, (Menorca).;):eek:;)

After Lunch Update;

We just came back from the Colonnade for lunch adn I had a macaroni pasta, with pomodoro sauce and fresh basil...was very tasty! Started off with a crab salad and some other seafood salad and for dessert sampled the Chocolate Raspberry Torte which was diving. Wine free for lunch as I am saving up for my Amarone bottle tonight.

The weather is still persisting with cloud cover and low winds and gloomy overcast afternoon....a good day as any to have a "cat nap".

It's very quiet onboard the ship although as we were leaving the Colonnade they were about to "ATTACK".

More to come later today here onboard Sojourn in Mahon, Spain.:eek:

Dinner Options Onboard Tonight;

The Restaurant;

First Course

Citrus Marinated Halibut, ruby red grapefruit, ginger crackling

Chicken Liver Parfait, caramelized figs, toasted hazelnuts, brioche toast

Crisp Veal Sweetbreads with Fresh Mushrooms, haricots verts, truffle dressing

Butternut Squash Broth, sage dumplings

Potato Leek Soup with Lobster Croutons, melted leeks

Mesclun Leaves and Endvies, herbs, citrus dijon vinaigrette

Fennel , Tomato & Cucumber, balsamic dressing

Main Course

Seared Doarde filet, lyonaisse potatoes, vegetable fricassee, noilly prat sauce

Prawns "Saltimboca", artichoke, cauliflower, salsify ragout

Braised Veal Osso Bucco, shallot confit, porcini risotto, lemon herb gremolata

Marinated & Grilled Strip Steak, horseradish potato gratin, balsamic jus

Vegetarian- Spinach & Corn Fritters, sauteed bok choy, oriental stir fry sauce

Restaurant 2;

Checf's Cocktail: Paoched Shrimp Martini, Balsamic Jelly, Split Saffron Vinaigrette

Foie Gras Creme Brulee, Syrah Honey Syrup

Crisp Duck Confit Filo, Navy Bean Cassoulet

Smoked Duck Carpaccio, Foie Gras Terrine, Arugula

Lobster & Lemongrass Presse, Lobster Herb Ravioli

Shellfish Cappuccino, Seared Beef Crostini, Ginger Jello

Roasted Doarde, Forked Potatoes, Braised Leek Ragout, Smoked Bacon Jus

Pan seared Quail Breast, Porcini Risotto, PPort Wine Reduction

White Chocolate Mousse, Plums & Almond Foam, Pistachio Cracker, Passion Fruit Sorbet

The Colonnade- Join us This Evening for a Burst of Tuscan Flavours

PATIO GRILL- BBQ

APPETIZERS (FROM THE BUFFET)

California Rolls

Crab and Avocado Cocktail

Marinated Grilled Vegetables

Smoked Hallibut, Honey Mustard

PIZZA (FROM THE BUFFET)

Chicken BBQ

BBQ Sauce, Chicken, Corn, Peppers, Mozzarella, Cheddar, Onions, Garlic

PASTA

Lobster Mac and Cheese

Lobster, Elbow Pasta, Bechamel, Cheddar Cheese

FROM THE GRILL

BBQ New York Strip

BBQ Glazed Corn Fed Chicken Breast 10 oz

BBQ Glazed Salmon

Tamarind Glazed Shrimp Jumbo Shrimps

SIDINGS

Corn on the Cob, Grilled Vegetables, Roasted Potato

SAUCES

Peppercorn, BBQ

DESSERTS

Assorted Cheese

individual Apple Pie

Chocolate Hazelnut cake

Fresh Fruits

Ice Cream and Sorbet

Departure for Ibiza, Spain;

We are about to set set sail in 30 minutes time for Ibiza, Spain. The total distance we need to travel overnight is approx. 160 nautical miles. Weather forecast is calling for high winds again tonight out in the open seas. Currrently here in Mahon, the temperature is 18C and under sunny skies just like yesterday it all cleared up around 1:30pm here on the island.

We are planning on going to the Patio Grill tonight for BBQ theme night and hopefully won't need to put on our "wooly's" and electric blankets.

Speaking of the "wooley's" saw foot soaker today at Tea Time walking up and down the ramp of the Observation Bar. Don't know if he was lost or just had indecision about going up or down the ramps in the Observation Bar....no sightings of "Fritts with the Mitts" today at Afternoon Tea!;)

It's been pretty quiet here onboard all day on Sojourn, no scandals, no burning croissants, no foat soaker roaming the halls, jacuzzis and pools etc.. :eek: The only last minute drama if you could call it that is that we are looking for Suite 802 passengers that have not yet boarded back onto the Sojourn and are late by 10 minutes as All onboard was 10 minutes ago....stay tuned!:eek:

More to come later tonight from the Sojourn about to make our way for Ibiza, Spain.;)

Dinner Options Onboard Tonight;

The Restaurant;

First Course

Citrus Marinated Halibut, ruby red grapefruit, ginger crackling

Chicken Liver Parfait, caramelized figs, toasted hazelnuts, brioche toast

Crisp Veal Sweetbreads with Fresh Mushrooms, haricots verts, truffle dressing

Butternut Squash Broth, sage dumplings

Potato Leek Soup with Lobster Croutons, melted leeks

Mesclun Leaves and Endvies, herbs, citrus dijon vinaigrette

Fennel , Tomato & Cucumber, balsamic dressing

Main Course

Seared Doarde filet, lyonaisse potatoes, vegetable fricassee, noilly prat sauce

Prawns "Saltimboca", artichoke, cauliflower, salsify ragout

Braised Veal Osso Bucco, shallot confit, porcini risotto, lemon herb gremolata

Marinated & Grilled Strip Steak, horseradish potato gratin, balsamic jus

Vegetarian- Spinach & Corn Fritters, sauteed bok choy, oriental stir fry sauce

Restaurant 2;

Checf's Cocktail: Paoched Shrimp Martini, Balsamic Jelly, Split Saffron Vinaigrette

Foie Gras Creme Brulee, Syrah Honey Syrup

Crisp Duck Confit Filo, Navy Bean Cassoulet

Smoked Duck Carpaccio, Foie Gras Terrine, Arugula

Lobster & Lemongrass Presse, Lobster Herb Ravioli

Shellfish Cappuccino, Seared Beef Crostini, Ginger Jello

Roasted Doarde, Forked Potatoes, Braised Leek Ragout, Smoked Bacon Jus

Pan seared Quail Breast, Porcini Risotto, PPort Wine Reduction

White Chocolate Mousse, Plums & Almond Foam, Pistachio Cracker, Passion Fruit Sorbet

The Colonnade- Join us This Evening for a Burst of Tuscan Flavours

PATIO GRILL- BBQ

APPETIZERS (FROM THE BUFFET)

California Rolls

Crab and Avocado Cocktail

Marinated Grilled Vegetables

Smoked Hallibut, Honey Mustard

PIZZA (FROM THE BUFFET)

Chicken BBQ

BBQ Sauce, Chicken, Corn, Peppers, Mozzarella, Cheddar, Onions, Garlic

PASTA

Lobster Mac and Cheese

Lobster, Elbow Pasta, Bechamel, Cheddar Cheese

FROM THE GRILL

BBQ New York Strip

BBQ Glazed Corn Fed Chicken Breast 10 oz

BBQ Glazed Salmon

Tamarind Glazed Shrimp Jumbo Shrimps

SIDINGS

Corn on the Cob, Grilled Vegetables, Roasted Potato

SAUCES

Peppercorn, BBQ

DESSERTS

Assorted Cheese

individual Apple Pie

Chocolate Hazelnut cake

Fresh Fruits

Ice Cream and Sorbet

Can't have you thinking took another day off ..... ;):p

Anyway just to change the subject from the NS Appreciation Society - this was one of my very favourite soups and I do love a good soup ;):D - those little lobster croutons yum yum yum!

Been raining - again! - most of the day - must be nice to be on a luxury ship cruising the Med, without a care in the world ....... :p

Hope 802 make it! :eek:

Can't have you thinking took another day off ..... ;):p

Anyway just to change the subject from the NS Appreciation Society - this was one of my very favourite soups and I do love a good soup - those little lobster croutons yum yum yum!

Been raining - again! - most of the day - must be nice to be on a luxury ship cruising the Med, without a care in the world .......

Hope 802 make it! :eek:

Note to self ...order tonight's Soup!

Yes, #802 stragglers as they may be did show up 15 minutes prior to sailing.:rolleyes:

We are just leaving the port of Mahon thru the narrow straights of approx. 3 miles before we make it out to open seas. More to come later...god I am hungry...need to order a snack I think before Dinner?

Seabourntraveller, did you go ashore in Mahon?

We are shortly doing a Seabourn Pride cruise and will be visiting Mahon and Ibiza so are interested to get any information about these places.

Welcome Cruiserbunny!

Yes we did get off shortly in Mahon today. I have to tell you it's very small almost village port/area with some local shops, marina area and also some eateries and restaurants and local artisan shops all within walking distance to the ship/port no need to spend money on a walking tour that you could do yourself! Tomorrow we are in Ibiza from 8:00am until 6:00pm and will also let you know what's there to be had on that tiny island as well...stay tuned!;)

ST it will be a sad day when your current cruise ends for all of us. I wish to thank you for your daily blog which has been great reading - again. Your attitude and bluntness is refreshing. Thanks also for the heads up on ports we will be visiting in a couple of weeks off the Legend. Hopefully you and fairbourne can survive while others of us partake of those of whom you do not speak - well - often anyway.

Welcome Cruiserbunny!

Yes we did get off shortly in Mahon today. I have to tell you it's very small almost village port/area with some local shops, marina area and also some eateries and restaurants and local artisan shops all within walking distance to the ship/port no need to spend money on a walking tour that you could do yourself! Tomorrow we are in Ibiza from 8:00am until 6:00pm and will also let you know what's there to be had on that tiny island as well...stay tuned!;)

We have been to Mahon twice and enjoyed both. The food market is worth visiting just at the top of the steps and there is sometimes a more general open air market at the top of the town. Other than that, it is really just a small Spanish town. We also enjoyed the walk along the harbour side and past the marina. A tour is only worthwhile if you want to venture outside Mahon.

ST ... As you probably know, Ibiza is 'party central' for European youth. As such, it may not 'wake up' until lunchtime.

We have been to Mahon twice and enjoyed both. The food market is worth visiting just at the top of the steps and there is sometimes a more general open air market at the top of the town. Other than that, it is really just a small Spanish town. We also enjoyed the walk along the harbour side and past the marina. A tour is only worthwhile if you want to venture outside Mahon.

ST ... As you probably know, Ibiza is 'party central' for European youth. As such, it may not 'wake up' until lunchtime.

Roxburgh; The Open Air Market at the top of the Spanish Steps was not open today. Apparently too early in season is what we were told?:eek::confused:

Agree, Ibiza is "party central" with yougin's, techno house worshippers, ubber freaks and gay circuit crowd. Probably nothing opens as you say before noon.

Update on Evening Patio Grill Dinner;-BBQ

We had a great dinner once more at the Patio Grill tonight. However, we arrived just before 8pm and there were approx. 20 people give or take. We were lucky enough to have a table close to the grill area strategically located for maximum heat in a high wind environment. We started with the Carb and Avocado cocktail and some BBQ chicken pizza. I ordered the New York Strip with some Glazed Tamarind Shrimp and a small side order of the Lobster Mac and Cheese which was divine but rich as usual and filling as well. I believe it's the Bechamel sauce that stuffs you up.

For dessert we had the individual apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (which was warmed up) ....heavenly!

Sea conditions tonight are pretty good, although there is some movement onboard tonight but nothing serious. During our dinner we heard them make a Code Alpha annoucement for the Restaurant. Apprently someone had a severe medical situation that needed the medical team to respond.

More to come later tonight from onboard the Sojourn enroute to Ibiza, Spain.

On the subject of food. ST would you mind letting me know what are some of choices on the room service menu please?

Room Service Menu: on board Sojourn

Starters:

Smoked Salmon, Lemon Creme Fraiche, Onions, Caper Berries

Prosciutto & Melon, Bread Sticks, Parmesan

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail, American Cocktail Sauce

Beef/Chicken Consomme, Fresh Vegetables

Roasted Tomato Soup, Fresh Basil

Mains

Penne Pasta Plum tomato Sauce/Basil Pesto

Cesar Salad Choice of Grilled Chicken/Garlic Shrimps

Pan Sauteed Salmon Vegetables, Fries, Lemon Sauce

Rosemary Roasted Chicken Breast Vegetables, Fries, Jus

Grilled New York Cut Sirloin Steak Vegetables, Fries, Herb Butter

Club Sandwich, Grilled Chicken, Smoked Bacon, Boiled Egg, Coleslaw, Fries

Pizza Margherita, Roma Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Frsh Basil

Hamburger/Cheeseburger, Coleslaw, Fries

American Beef Hot Dog, Coleslaw, Fries

Desserts

White & Dark Chocolate mousse, Raspberry Coulis

Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Ice cReam

Home Made Cookies

Fresh Fruit Plate

Cheese Plate, Fig Jam, Dried Apricots, Walnut Crisp

Room Service Menu: on board Sojourn

Starters:

Smoked Salmon, Lemon Creme Fraiche, Onions, Caper Berries

Prosciutto & Melon, Bread Sticks, Parmesan

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail, American Cocktail Sauce

Beef/Chicken Consomme, Fresh Vegetables

Roasted Tomato Soup, Fresh Basil

Mains

Penne Pasta Plum tomato Sauce/Basil Pesto

Cesar Salad Choice of Grilled Chicken/Garlic Shrimps

Pan Sauteed Salmon Vegetables, Fries, Lemon Sauce

Rosemary Roasted Chicken Breast Vegetables, Fries, Jus

Grilled New York Cut Sirloin Steak Vegetables, Fries, Herb Butter

Club Sandwich, Grilled Chicken, Smoked Bacon, Boiled Egg, Coleslaw, Fries

Pizza Margherita, Roma Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Frsh Basil

Hamburger/Cheeseburger, Coleslaw, Fries

American Beef Hot Dog, Coleslaw, Fries

Desserts

White & Dark Chocolate mousse, Raspberry Coulis

Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Ice cReam

Home Made Cookies

Fresh Fruit Plate

Cheese Plate, Fig Jam, Dried Apricots, Walnut Crisp

Thank you so much for taking the time to post - very kind of you.

That's a great menu - I like everything on it :D

So the breadsticks that come with the Melon and Prosciutto plate, would they be the same ones that are infamous around these parts?

(note to self - get weight down to 10 pounds UNDER goal weight prior to Quest cruise to allow for inevitable huge weight gain during...)

Archived