Children’s Program on Regatta

raerom

Just received my new Oceania brochure in the mail. Oceania Regatta is offering an Alaskan Youth Explorer Program for children ages 5 -13. This program is only being offered May 9, 2013. Do you think Oceania is trying for the family market?? Maybe more children’s programs will be implemented if successful.

Just received my new Oceania brochure in the mail. Oceania Regatta is offering an Alaskan Youth Explorer Program for children ages 5 -13. This program is only being offered May 9, 2013. Do you think Oceania is trying for the family market?? Maybe more children’s programs will be implemented if successful.

Most on this board would say, hopefully not! :mad:

One of the things that make Oceania special is that one can cruise

without having children or smoke (easily avoided)on board. :D

Wouldn't that age group still be in school May 9th???

They should be in school. In the latest booklet I received from Oceania they were quite explicit about their lack of programs for kids. In fact they said there were none. So I don't really think they are looking for families with kids.

Looking at the brochure they are marketing the "youth program" to ALL the Alaska cruises not just May 9th

As for the rest of the cruises it is probably business as usual (no children's programs)

Just guessing on that one ;)

Lyn

You are right, the children’s program is being offered on all Alaskan cruises in 2013. I think I remember reading that Oceania had a hard time selling out cruises to Alaska in the past. Maybe the family market is the only way to help sell out these cruises. My children are teenagers now..too old for this program but I would have considered it if my children were younger. It would have made an amazing family vacation!

I certainly understand why parents want to travel with their children. Unfortunately I see this as a potential can of worms.

I really enjoy the few children that are on the ship and generally well parented. With this push for families even if it is only on Alaska cruises I can see families signing up for other itineraries and then getting upset with O because their are no 'programs'. I can also see how other passengers will be impacted because there will be children with limited things to do.

I appreciate they want to expand their market but I am not sure I see the win for those of us that are enjoying traveling in the current environment of O.

Just my POV so please be kind.

I certainly understand why parents want to travel with their children. Unfortunately I see this as a potential can of worms.

I really enjoy the few children that are on the ship and generally well parented. With this push for families even if it is only on Alaska cruises I can see families signing up for other itineraries and then getting upset with O because their are no 'programs'. I can also see how other passengers will be impacted because there will be children with limited things to do.

I appreciate they want to expand their market but I am not sure I see the win for those of us that are enjoying traveling in the current environment of O.

Just my POV so please be kind.

Bonnie

I agree with you

Lyn

Want to borrow my bunker gear ;)

Interesting discussion. I believe that the introduction of the youth program on the Alaska cruises is an attempt to make serving this geography profitable. I'll be happy if it works out for O but stops at that.

I just read that the former Insignia has been refitted for children's activities by eliminating the computer room and card room. It will serve a wide target market than before.

I believe that most cruisers like O the way it is and hope this "Alaska program" will not be expanded.

For those who prefer to sail with fewer children to Alaska I guess Silversea will be the only remaining option though even there I'm sure there'll be some. But providing a program for kids encourages more kids. There are plenty of ships sailing to Alaska that would be more appropriate than Oceania but imo parents who book cruise lines not geared to kids are more interested in their own enjoyment than that of their children.

Archived