Superior Verandah Suite - SY Category - Oosterdam

absolutboy20

Has anyone recently been on the Oosterdam in the SY category handicapped room? I did a search through the site and only found a few reviews from 2008 and 2009. I was wondering if this unit has any access to the deck in front of the unit, or if the porthole window is still there? One reviewer suggested that it was due to be taken out during drydock.

I would prefer to be midship but the cruise is sold out after a month on sale to the public and this is the only upgrade from the stateroom we have available. I also wonder how this compares in size to a sc category stateroom. The concern I have is this is a New Zealand to Australia cruise and I hear the Tasman sea can be rough to say the least, and being on the bow of the ship my not be the best idea.

Do you need a handicap cabin? Is it after final payment date?

If you don't need a handicap cabin, and it isn't after final payment date, you should not be considering that cabin.

If you do need a handicap cabin, or if it's that late in the game that final payments have been made, and the disabled have had a fair shot at booking the cabin, then I hope you get the info you seek.

Has anyone recently been on the Oosterdam in the SY category handicapped room? I did a search through the site and only found a few reviews from 2008 and 2009. I was wondering if this unit has any access to the deck in front of the unit, or if the porthole window is still there? One reviewer suggested that it was due to be taken out during drydock.

I would prefer to be midship but the cruise is sold out after a month on sale to the public and this is the only upgrade from the stateroom we have available. I also wonder how this compares in size to a sc category stateroom. The concern I have is this is a New Zealand to Australia cruise and I hear the Tasman sea can be rough to say the least, and being on the bow of the ship my not be the best idea.

There is quite a bit of size difference between the SY versa the SC, the SC is over 200 sf bigger then SY. The SC is on the back of the ship and SY are on the front. If you have the chance and the money I would go with the SC.

When my DH developed physical problems we had to move to a h/c cabin. We have sailed in 5001 on the Oosterdam and 5002 on the Westerdam. Loved the rooms and location. Both cruises to Alaska. The window that is usually next to the verandah door is facing forward. We were only allowed on the front deck when we were on Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

We were in a big storm when on the Oosterdam. 80 MPH windgusts. I honestly didn't think it was that rough, but I have no problem with motion sickness. I loved the action. The water was surely beating in on that front window though.

We were booked in 5002 for another Alaskan cruise in May but one of the SC h/c cabins on the stern was available so decided to try that and changed our booking. It will be interesting to compare.

I just thought about it and want to mention that due to the curve of the bow where 5001 and 5002 cabins are located, the verandas are smaller than the usual SY suites. Still plenty of room for two though. The "wall" between the verandah and the front deck can be opened by your cabin steward for personal access when in special viewing locations.

Also, due to the configuration of the h/c bathroom due to the roll-in shower, there is no dual sink. I do not know about the VC cabins, yet... Will find out in less than a month!

Neither the smaller verandah or bathroom changes diminished our enjoyment of the cabins in any way.

We just got the Volendam after a 14 day cruise from N.Z. on April 10th. We crossed the calm Tasman Sea. Yes there was a little rocking but really nothing to cause anyone a seasick problem. If you do have a problem with sea sickness make sure you ask your cabin steward for some green (Granny Smith) apples. I cannot explain why or how they help, but they do, just ask my wife. We also had an upgrade to a SY cabin on the Oosterdam last Nov. to Hawaii (6066) not a handicap, but it was midship. Is was a very good cabin in every way.

Archived