details for donations to South Pacific

Hello love cc's, I have read here about a lady who is grateful to recieve donations for her "poor" community in the south pacific islands somewhere, I think Villa?

Would anyone have her details as I wish to make contact because my grand daughter will like to arrange a little fundraising through her school so she can then deliver something and hopefully then we can go visit areas of need. She will then do a project on her "work" while away from school.

I think it is a wonderful idea! what do people think?

Anyone have details and the charity contact please?

B&B&C:D

Edited by happyaussies

Happy Aussies

I have heard of the lady you are referring to. She used to sit on the pier at Vila and collect money for either a hospital or a school. I recall someone mentioning that she no longer does this (either removed or got sick, I dont really know). We looked out for her last May when we were in Vila but could notfind her. I am sure other C C ers will have better information about her.

John

Her name is Chrissy. She used to sit at the wharf gates every time a cruise ship came in, but last September wasn't there. I've heard since that she was away then. She is back again and I also heard that, since the authorities have 'tidied up' the horde of taxi drivers etc looking for passengers, she has been sent to another spot further back from the gates but still in the markets near the ship. She collects primarily for the hospital in Port Vila, but will take donations of books, etc for the schools to send to the outer islands where they are most needed (as she told me).

thanks sandi

I have been web surfing and found that AustAID does some great work in Port villa and indeed Vanauta. So I have contacted my local Fed member Amanda Rishworth, who I work closely with anyway.

I shall see what that brings. I must admit I feel a little apprehensive giving to someone sitting waiting for cruise ships to come in........pencils and paper etc maybe ok but not large amounts of $$$ which I hope to arrange with my grand daughter's primary school to fundraise!

Thanks

thanks sandi

I have been web surfing and found that AustAID does some great work in Port villa and indeed Vanauta. So I have contacted my local Fed member Amanda Rishworth, who I work closely with anyway.

I shall see what that brings. I must admit I feel a little apprehensive giving to someone sitting waiting for cruise ships to come in........pencils and paper etc maybe ok but not large amounts of $$$ which I hope to arrange with my grand daughter's primary school to fundraise!

Thanks

I know how you feel, but despite some people decrying her, I did a search and she is quite genuine in her desire to help the hospital. I believe some Rotary Clubs in Brisbane also support the people in Vila and there is a Rotary club there. At the time I couldn't contact anyone, but perhaps you will have more luck. Good on you - your hearts are in the right place. :)

BTW, I hope that last bit didn't sound patronising! :o

Edited by Sandielle

I have taken donations to Chrissy for years - There are many people on the other forum who know her details but I think her life was saved by the hospital and she in return has worked tirelessly to assist them. I think much of donations also go to outreach clinics.

I had friends take hundreds of dollars of bandages etc and Chrissy wasn't there but she advised them of where to take to the hospital

I alwayl like to take her a little gift too

I hope someone more in the know reads your post and gives you the accurate details of her involvement. Do you read Ozcruising ? cause thats where you will get your answer

Di

There are some interesting stories here.

There are still hoards of taxi drivers in Vila! The police have not done anything. I actually did not see any police in Vila when I was there.

The lady collecting for the hospital was about 6-8 stalls down on the left as you came out the gates. I am sure that she can move anywhere.

She will take any denomination of money you want to give. She did not look like we was keeping it for her self.

We saw her there on the 26th March this year.

As I posted above, Chrissy is genuine in her desire to help the hospital. There is a mention of her (with those helping to establish a TB ward) in these Rotary files.

http://www.rotary.org.nz/documents/inf_165/Vila_Project4web.pdf

Quote:

After the unveiling of the sign, the Children placed a Rotary Wheel on the Building, with help from our Building Manager, Laurie Lockwood-Liles and his wife Chrissy. (Chrissy is a dedicated, “Friends of the Hospital Organisation”) ....... End of quote.

I have heard that, at present, they are working towards equipment for an intensive care facitlity.

Edited by Sandielle

I certainly be donating to Chrissy, she is a fantastic lady. Also my 9yo son and I have started a special project and we are collecting some basic school supplies for the kids on Penticost, their school is said to be deeply in need of items our kids take for granted.

Remember, whilst Vila has a number of cruise ships each week, only about 2-3 ships go to Penticost each year and they have little/no other tourist exposure.

I certainly be donating to Chrissy, she is a fantastic lady. Also my 9yo son and I have started a special project and we are collecting some basic school supplies for the kids on Penticost, their school is said to be deeply in need of items our kids take for granted.

Remember, whilst Vila has a number of cruise ships each week, only about 2-3 ships go to Penticost each year and they have little/no other tourist exposure.

I was lucky enough to get to pentecoste last year on a P&O cruise and I agree with you about their need for what we would consider basic school supplies. They were fundraising for a school library at that time, and I am sure they would appreciate any donations of books and / or cash.

I will be thinking about what islands I am visiting on my next cruise, so that I can be prepared with some small donations this time... I never even thought of it before my first one.

I was lucky enough to get to pentecoste last year on a P&O cruise and I agree with you about their need for what we would consider basic school supplies. They were fundraising for a school library at that time, and I am sure they would appreciate any donations of books and / or cash.

I will be thinking about what islands I am visiting on my next cruise, so that I can be prepared with some small donations this time... I never even thought of it before my first one.

On our trip to Pentecost last year, for months leading up to the cruise I went to second hand book shops and op shops and bought up as many suitable childrens books as possible, I collected a range of books from kindy to teenage, ended up with two medium sizes striped bags full which we lugged up to the school( a long walk on a very hot day with 2 heavy bags) and gave to one of the teachers who was extemley grateful, and gave us a look around the school, and yes they are in desperate need of any donations. Robin:)

unfortunately as we are flying into sydney we will be unable to take that kind of resources...just cash I'm afraid

Will be contacting school tomorrow and I have my local fed member checking out contact people for me in Vanauta

the ball is rolling :0)

Edited by happyaussies

• 2 years later...

We ported in Vila October 2014 and Chrissy wasn't there when we got off the ship but she was there when we went back. She is at the markets when you walk through the gates on left hand side about 5 stalls down. We couriered a backpack full of newborn clothes, gauzes and band aids for the hospital. She is grateful for any donations. There is a group on 😊 book that collects for her and is always looking for cruisers to volunteer to deliver. They are based in Newcastle but there are other areas too. Reply and I can give you details. I've only met Chrissy once but I have no doubt she is as honest as the day is long.

When in the Pacific Islands area and visiting Dravuni Island we always get a group together and take items for the tiny school there who are very grateful for everything they can get The children have entertained us in the past when we have visited.

Hullo Windsor,

I have read about Dravuni and we intend to take some "stuff" there in January. What do you suggest? We will not be flying in to Sydney as we live on the South Coast of NSW, so are able to just carry anything (within reason).

Thanks for your help.

fe

We have taken supplies to children at the school in Mare. Mare is fairly new on the cruising itinerary so have not had the support of passengers supplying goodies as have the villa and Noumea areas. Last trip we also took some things off the ship with us and left them in a box for the kinder kids who were singing to the passengers on mystery island. We have got into the habit of taking some aussie pencils and erasers in our day pack to give to any kids (via their adult parent/teachers of course). have to be aware of stranger danger all around the world. All these islands are in great need but I prefer to support the smaller islands that only get a couple of visits from cruise ships. We fly so are restricted with what we can take however for those able to take bulkier items I suggest books both to read and exercise books to write in, also packs of photocopy paper and tracing paper are in great demand. Basically anything our kids use here in Australia would be much needed and appreciated. pens, pencils, coloured pencils, rulers, erasers the list goes on.

Thank you for considering these beautiful children who always have a smile despite living in what we would consider almost impossible yet they are happy.

Thanks, Tara.

We will load up for both of these 'ports'. I look forward to scouring the local 'oppies' for well-cared for second hand books and will certainly buy erasers and pens, pencils, paper etc as you suggest.

I normally tell my kids not to worry about Christmas gifts for me. They still do, but this year I will ask for - you guessed it - pencils, paper etc!

I will also ask my three young grandsons if they would like to pass on to me anything (books etc) they 'feel they don't need', which is in good nick.

Start their giving while young and turn it into a lifetime habit. They are fortunate children.

Thanks again,

fe

I will be missing a Christmas lunch with my old school friends whilst on my cruise. We always do the $5 gift thingy so this year, I went to Kmart bought a pile of pencils, books, erasers and other little gifts. Took a photo of each $5 "gift" printed it out and put in a Christmas card. While I am on the cruise I hope each recipient of my gift will recognise the help their gift will be to the children on the islands. Last year one of the girls arranged for us to give sight to some people through the fred hollows foundation, we all thought it was a wonderful thing to do. Christmas is a time of giving, we in the western world receive so much every day of our lives and often don't recognise how very fortunate we are.