Nicer Gift Stores

Michelle82

We will be going to Denali for two days and then on the cruise we go to Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchican. Can anyone suggest some of the nicer gift stores. I am looking for a nice sweatshirt and Tshirt (adult) and also an infant Tshirt and a cardboard type infant/toddler book about Alaska. I don't want to buy the cheap type of souveniers I really want better quality items. I tried to search online but so far I am only finding the normal Tshirt type stores. I did find some stores online that do not show the actual merchandise they sell. Thanks

for books, check out the bookstore beside the Denali Visitor's Center--they had a good selection of children's books. THere is also a great bookstore in Ketchikan. I don't remember the name, but it was on Creek Street. I think I read somewhere, that they have moved recently to another location in Ketchikan.

In Juneau, I have purchased sweat shirts[@$65] and genuine made in AK items at Galligaskins. The store is located at 219 S. Franklin St. I also purchased a hand blown Christmas ornament [@ $35] and a selection of unique AK votive candle holders. They may have a web site in addition to their catalogue.

Darcy

Galligaskins went out of business several years ago.... New store in the building is called once in a blue moose.. they have nice things.... just up the street (at the triangle) there is an excellent bookstore called Hearthside Books... and they carry a HUGE selection of books on Alaska for kids and adults....

We will be going to Denali for two days and then on the cruise we go to Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchican. Can anyone suggest some of the nicer gift stores. I am looking for a nice sweatshirt and Tshirt (adult) and also an infant Tshirt and a cardboard type infant/toddler book about Alaska. I don't want to buy the cheap type of souveniers I really want better quality items. I tried to search online but so far I am only finding the normal Tshirt type stores. I did find some stores online that do not show the actual merchandise they sell. Thanks

You need to look for stuff with "made in Alaska" tags.

DON

In Ketchikan, there are three great bookstores:

Parnassus Books (the one that used to be located on Creek Street). They have a HUGE selection of books & gifts and specialize in Alaskan items. They're now located just in front of the Creek Street entrance by the Library. Just beside the Chief Johnson Totem Pole, across the street from the Federal Building (salmon colored)

The bookstore located inside the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center (no charge for entering the bookstore alone). They also have books & gifts and are part of the Alaska Geographic Association. They have t-shirts here too.

And inside the Salmon Landing is a bookstore called 'Downtown Books'. Another great place with books & gifts.

One place I love in Ketchikan for unique & alaskan made items is Crazy Wolf Studios, located just across the street from Whale Park (behind the Chief Kyan Totem Pole). They are native owned and have t-shirts, tank tops, & sweatshirts with native designs along with incredible Alaska gifts - drums, masks, etc.

And for more unique designs on t-shirts & sweatshirts, check out Soho Coho, located on Creek Street. They have really funny designs by a local artist, Ray Troll.

These t-shirts & sweatshirts aren't the typical Alaska Gift Store variety but are unique. I hope that helped!

A prior poster mentioned raveneaglegifts.com. They have a shop at the top of Mt. Roberts in Juneau. It's a lovely shop, our favorite of those we visited. The trip up the mountain on the tram was one of the highlights of our first visit to Juneau, and we will be repeating it in May if it's a clear day.

Archived