Camera safety in Istanbul

Any advice on using a DSLR in Istanbul? DH has been reading some camera threads and has the idea that it attracts thieves. Have you felt safe using an expensive camera in the city? Leaving soon . . . please advise quickly! :) Thanks!

Any advice on using a DSLR in Istanbul? DH has been reading some camera threads and has the idea that it attracts thieves. Have you felt safe using an expensive camera in the city? Leaving soon . . . please advise quickly! :) Thanks!

I carried a DSLR all over Istanbul. Took normal safety precautions and never had any concerns.

I cannot see how it would be different than any other city.

Keep it around your neck, in front of you.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put anything of value, including any expense lens in a backpack or daypack.

It was 3 years ago, but I had no concerns with carrying two DSLRs D300 / D40, there or in Barcelona or other stops.

Common sense and you should be good1

No problems last summer with my Nikon D80 and my sling camera bag.

I did not take my camera bag or my Nikon with me to the Grand Bazaar as I didn't want to accidentally knock down the stuff that they have out. I'm convinced they train that stuff to fall over :) I just used my wife's camera phone.

I just finished a travel photography seminar on the weekend in preparation for going to the Aegean and Istanbul. One of the suggestions was to substitute the brand name over the neck camera strap with a more generic shoulder strap. Having the brand name in bright yellow or red or whatever is just letting the bad guys know what you have. Using a shoulder strap (I have a BlackRapid sling strap) lets you keep the camera at your side and covered with your hand.

Larry

I just finished a travel photography seminar on the weekend in preparation for going to the Aegean and Istanbul. One of the suggestions was to substitute the brand name over the neck camera strap with a more generic shoulder strap. Having the brand name in bright yellow or red or whatever is just letting the bad guys know what you have. Using a shoulder strap (I have a BlackRapid sling strap) lets you keep the camera at your side and covered with your hand.

Larry

Makes a lot of sense, I didn't bring my camera strap with me for this trip (in Istanbul right now) and I'm regretting it but it's because the generic one that I brought didn't come for some reason. But I have a NikonP500 (not on the same level as a DSL but still a pretty good camera and fancy looking) and I haven't had a single problem yet.

I used a messenger-bag style camera bag when I was in Barcelona for my DSLR. I find carrying cameras around my neck very uncomfortable (and it's very bad for your neck), but the messenger-style bag straps across your chest and slings to your front hip. I bought the Lowepro Passport Sling because it's a real camera bag with a padded box for protection (but that padded box is removable so it can be flattened for packing), unlike just using a normal sling pack or messenger bag. http://www.lowepro.com/passportsling It also has enough room for whatever else you're carrying, like a water bottle, sunglasses, etc.

Archived