London to Southampton - Best Way?

A large group of us will be spending time in London pre-Baltic sailing in July, 2013.

What would be the best way to go from London to Southampton on embarkation day? Also, approximately how long does it take to go from the London core out to Southampton?

Just trying to get good ideas on our best options here. Thank you all, in advance, for your constructive responses.

CM

A large group of us will be spending time in London pre-Baltic sailing in July, 2013.

What would be the best way to go from London to Southampton on embarkation day? Also, approximately how long does it take to go from the London core out to Southampton?

Just trying to get good ideas on our best options here. Thank you all, in advance, for your constructive responses.

CM

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/offers/funfare/funfares.cfm?sd=01072012#cal

National Express has fun fares which are a fraction of the price of their regular fares. Depending on traffic it could take 1 to 2 hours.

They are starting to have fares for early "July" on sale now.

lamchops, thank you.

I'm assuming you have first-hand experience making this transfer. How is it for those who would be handling their own luggage?

And, I see you're in Vancouver. Would that be B.C., Washington state?

CM

Yes, dog, thank you for that cost comparison. We'll be traveling with Celebrity and have done their transfers before from central London to cruise embarkation port.

Since this will be a fairly large group we're most interested in the cost of private transfers. Cruise line transfers, while very convenient and hassle-free, are usually fairly expensive when compared to arranging private transfers. However, if there would be far too much hassle in dealing with luggage on National Express coaches, or on the trains, we may be best to stick with the convenience of cruise line arrangements.

Thanks again, folks. I appreciate the input!

CM

Two coach companies operate the route from London to Southampton

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/

from London (Victoria coach station) to Southampton (coach station) - ignore the "cruise terminal" option, which doesn't apply to your ship.

and

http://www.greyhounduk.com/

from London (Buleid Way) near Victoria coach station to Southampton (Town Quay)

All this applies to both: Price around £18 pp, but often fun-fares as low as £1. Requires a £5 to £7 taxi hop to the ship, taxi rank at drop-off. Coach driver loads & unloads luggage. Theoretical limit of 2 x 20kg bags plus hand luggage, but no problem if weight is there or thereabouts. Pre-booking strongly advised. Total travel time excl delays about 2.5 hours

Ship's transfer coaches normally also operate from London Victoria but of course go to the pier. Normally no luggage limit. Travel time excl delays about 2 hrs.

By train - there are frequent trains, but for a large group the regular fare of around £36 pp isn't viable.

However for a limited number of trains, pre-purchased tickets are just £4 pp if booked through http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

Journey is from London Waterloo to Southampton central, travel time about 1 hr 20, and not subject to potential traffic problems. Then £5 to £7 taxi hop (rank at the station) to the ship.

No megatrain tickets available for sundays.

Luggage shouldn't be a problem, esp for a large group.

Private transfer will be more expensive than the above options, but the difference will depend on the numbers in your group & the location of your hotel. Transfer time will be not a great deal quicker than by coach, mebbe 1 hr 45 but of course that's hotel to pier.

How many in your group, & where is your hotel?

JB :)

I'm assuming you have first-hand experience making this transfer. How is it for those who would be handling their own luggage?

Hi, I've done this transfer, although from Heathrow and not from Victoria Station, but I assume the procedure is the same.

When the coach pulled into the National Express station at Heathrow, everyone who was waiting, walked up to the bus, the driver opened up the undercarriage, we left our luggage there on the curb, and the driver loaded it into the undercarriage.

When you finally arrive at the Southampton coach station, then same thing happens. The bus driver gets out, opens up the undercarriage and starts unloading the luggage and lining it up on the curb. When you see yours, you just grab it.

To get from the Southampton coach station to the cruise ship pier, just take a taxi. The tax was less than 10 pounds for my party of 3 with luggage. There are taxi's waiting in a line right outside of the coach station for the coach to arrive. The trip to the pier was probably a 4-6 minute drive, if that.

I had reservations made in advance for the trip to Southampton, and then the return trip from Southampton to Heathrow at the end of the cruise. It was super convenient, easy, and very very affordable. If I saild out of Southampton again I'd do the same exact trip with National Express.

However, you mention having a large group. Depending on what size you are talking about when referring to a large group, perhaps public transportation on a bus like National Express wouldn't be ideal for you mainly because National Express drops you at the coach station in Southampton and not at the cruise ship pier. So, presumably, when you get off the coach, you'd still need to divide your party into smaller groups that could fit into cabs and then just re-group yourselves at the pier. Not sure if that's more work than your group wants to undertake.

I am appreciating all of the input. Every little bit helps us understand the total picture.

As to group size, we are still in the booking process. Thus far there are 25, but we know that number will go up.

Our hotel is not confirmed yet, either, but we will be booking in a hotel in Westminster if at all possible.

CM

I am appreciating all of the input. Every little bit helps us understand the total picture.

As to group size, we are still in the booking process. Thus far there are 25, but we know that number will go up.

Our hotel is not confirmed yet, either, but we will be booking in a hotel in Westminster if at all possible.

CM

Simplest would be to hire a full-size coach, much the same as operated by National Express or Greyhound UK, or hired by cruise lines.

Depending on layout/facilities, these seat between 44 and 53 passengers, but - like the cruise lines - expect it to carry a max of about 35 cruisers because of the volume of luggage.

This will currently cost in the order of £400. That's between about £16 per head for 25 and £11.50 per head for 35.

Increasing the size of the coach to a 6-wheel double-deck (known as a 'decker or skyliner) and adding a truck for excess luggage will allow you to increase the numbers toward 70, with a modest reduction in the cost per head.

This of course will give you door-to-door transportation - essential if it's a group with needs, such as students.

You'll not be able to book those numbers on either National Express or Greyhound scheduled coaches at their "fun-fare" rate, and they don't normally add extra coaches when one is fully-booked.

It may be possible to book 25 or so on the train via Megatrain at £4 per head. This is the cheapest method, but the logistics will be more complicated with transfers to the ship at the Southampton end & probably ditto at the Westminster end (rail station is London Waterloo, near the London Eye). Probably not worth the cost savings. No megatrain prices if it's a sunday.

Simplest would be to hire a full-size coach, much the same as operated by National Express or Greyhound UK, or hired by cruise lines.

Depending on layout/facilities, these seat between 44 and 53 passengers, but - like the cruise lines - expect it to carry a max of about 35 cruisers because of the volume of luggage.

This will currently cost in the order of £400. That's between about £16 per head for 25 and £11.50 per head for 35.

Increasing the size of the coach to a 6-wheel double-deck (known as a 'decker or skyliner) and adding a truck for excess luggage will allow you to increase the numbers toward 70, with a modest reduction in the cost per head.

This of course will give you door-to-door transportation - essential if it's a group with needs, such as students.

You'll not be able to book those numbers on either National Express or Greyhound scheduled coaches at their "fun-fare" rate, and they don't normally add extra coaches when one is fully-booked.

It may be possible to book 25 or so on the train via Megatrain at £4 per head. This is the cheapest method, but the logistics will be more complicated with transfers to the ship at the Southampton end & probably ditto at the Westminster end (rail station is London Waterloo, near the London Eye). Probably not worth the cost savings. No megatrain prices if it's a sunday.

If you're willing to take the slower train (2h15 vs 1h20) from Victoria station to Southampton; Southern rail have group discounts: http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/railcards-and-discounts/groupsave/

lamchops, thank you.

And, I see you're in Vancouver. Would that be B.C., Washington state?

CM

That would be BC but I go to Portland once a year.

If you want to hire a coach I strongly suggest that you get quotes from operators based in or near Southampton.

Prices there will be up to 20% cheaper and the timing for them would probably be better that way round.

Put "Southampton coach hire" into your search engine of choice and get some quotes.

Has anyone tried the tour for 45 or 55 pounds (depending on direction) that stops in Stonehenge? Saw it on londontoolkit.com, a handy site.

Seems fairly reasonable. esp for those of us who haven't learned to pack light and don't want to deal with bus or train with luggage.

Last fall we took Silver Fleet from our hotel to the ship in Southampton. Wonderful fellow, Tony, even took us on a side trip to Stonehenge as we had time before we could board the ship. We are in London again in Sept. for London to Barcelona and will definitely use him again.

Archived