Why does everyone seem to hate the HAL Cats?

jaguarstyper

It was only 5 months old. More like waking from a coma.....

On the other hand, if something started a new thread about the HALCats I bet someone would have chided them for not searching the topic.

igraf

So, what in this thread is outdated or irrelevant after 5 months?

Just got off the NA last week' date=' and after reading all the reviews were expecting something horrible. Actually they were probably IMO the best entertainment in the ship (I am 40 and do not use a hearing aid). They were not too loud and the female singer was very good (much better than the night singer in the shows). We were VERY disappointed in the main shows each night. The singers were not that good and the routines were corny.

So for other cruisers out there. - give them a chance, you may be surprised.[/quote']

Please excuse me but I don't understand the reference to hearing aid? :confused:

Is it that people who wear hearing aids find the HAL Cats too loud but you don't think others, without hearing aids, do not? Well, that isn't true as neither DH nor I wear hearing aids. None of our friends do and we all run away when HAL Cats appear.

It's all just personal preferences and opinions and I try hard to put IMO when making statements of likes and dislikes.

If I have misunderstood what the hearing aid reference meant, I truly am sorry... NO sarcasm intended.

We see the HAL Cats as kind of a con by HA and simply a way for the line to save money. In the past, HA would hire various bands to work on-board. But then somebody in Seattle figured out they could eliminate the cost (and the cabin space) of at least one band (sometimes 2) by simply better utilizing the ship's orchestra. The problem (from our point of view) is that the ship's orchestra is not really a band (dance or otherwise) but rather an independent group of musicians (of various skill levels) who come and go based on their individual contracts. They are not going to have the same skill as a professional dance quartet, jazz group, rock group, etc. Sure, the ship' musicians are professionals and are usually good at reading music. But the really decent bands tend to work together for years.

Hank

Several years ago it was clear to me that the HALCats were as you described: a non-cohesive band of questionable young talent assembled at the last minute. However, on our last couple of cruises the HALCats have been comprised of older and more talented musicians that played together very nicely.

Having said that I really miss the great Filipino dance bands, known generically as the Neptunes.

igraf

We see the HAL Cats as kind of a con by HA and simply a way for the line to save money. In the past, HA would hire various bands to work on-board. But then somebody in Seattle figured out they could eliminate the cost (and the cabin space) of at least one band (sometimes 2) by simply better utilizing the ship's orchestra. The problem (from our point of view) is that the ship's orchestra is not really a band (dance or otherwise) but rather an independent group of musicians (of various skill levels) who come and go based on their individual contracts. They are not going to have the same skill as a professional dance quartet, jazz group, rock group, etc. Sure, the ship' musicians are professionals and are usually good at reading music. But the really decent bands tend to work together for years.

Hank

Archived