Why does everyone seem to hate the HAL Cats?

jaguarstyper

I guess I really just see them as background music and I cannot say I've ever really listened to them with any real attentiveness. But, they certainly don't offend or bother me.

Why is it that I read so many negative comments about them?

I guess I really just see them as background music and I cannot say I've ever really listened to them with any real attentiveness. But, they certainly don't offend or bother me.

I don't hate them..... I just find their music waaaayyyyy too loud and it hurts my ears. I try to avoid them.

Susan

I think the musicians are usually good to very good. The singers, on the other hand, are usually beyond awful. To say they screech is kind.

And then you factor in the volume, and you have one heck of a bad performance.

Somewhere along the line HAL decided that if "loud" equals "good", "louder" equals "better".

I agree with a number of previous posters....the HalCats are WAY too loud. When I know they are performing, I hasten to another part of the ship. They may be talented, but being so loud hides the talent.

I often wonder why HAL decided that the music must be so loud that one cannot have a conversation with friends while the HalCats are playing/singing.

While I have heard mediocre HAL lead singers in the past, the HAL singers on my last two cruises were quite good. Sharon Johnson was the singer on my last cruise and she was very good. Here is her web page:

http://sharon4music.com/?section=blog

Play her sample videos if you don't believe me.

igraf

I think the musicians are usually good to very good. The singers, on the other hand, are usually beyond awful. To say they screech is kind.

Somewhere along the line HAL decided that if "loud" equals "good", "louder" equals "better".

I agree with a number of previous posters....the HalCats are WAY too loud. When I know they are performing, I hasten to another part of the ship. They may be talented, but being so loud hides the talent.

I often wonder why HAL decided that the music must be so loud that one cannot have a conversation with friends while the HalCats are playing/singing.

And I agree with you 200%.

Maybe we should walk by with earplugs in our ears ... that should give them the hint. ;)

I agree it is too loud unless you are there just to hear the music and for no other reason. When they played during an on deck BBQ you could not talk with your table mates at all. I can't comment on the quality of the singers because I have never heard them. On my 4 HAL cruises the mix was so terrible that you could only hear the instruments. These were all female singers trying to sing what had been recorded by male singers and might have been good if they could have been heard.

I do not hate the HAL Cats but must be in the minority from all the posts I've read....

I think they sound good and that includes all the lead singers.

I've yet to hear one bad HAL Cat singer or band.

I just think everyone has their own taste in what someone should sound like and leave it at that:)

Joanie

They are way too loud...it's deafening. We go where they are NOT.

I agree, the musicians are great, in fact I love when they play without the singers.

They play so little, It's ridiculous that all the music critics have come out of the woodwork. You've just flown 6 hours taken a cab and a shuttle to the ship.

You're finally on the back deck sailing away... the HalCats play 5-6 songs to prime the pump and get you in the cruise mode.

Easy fix for the music critics.

Just slap that Yanni cassette into your Walkman and tap your foot.

We are among those that hate LOUD music.

And most of the females can't sing (that we have heard) -- they just scream.

Add me to the list of people who think they're too loud. My hearing is good and I want to keep it that way.

When they play inside the Lido pool area, they have no idea how to dial it down to compensate for all those hard surfaces. They played at the dessert buffet by the Lido pool on Veendam one night. I walked through the hallway under that area, and the hallway was reverberating. It made me think maybe I was lucky not to have had a deluxe suite on Veendam.

I thought the screaming is intentional, to sound like a cat. I know that's what my cat sounded like the time I stepped on her tail. :eek:

They play so little, It's ridiculous that all the music critics have come out of the woodwork. You've just flown 6 hours taken a cab and a shuttle to the ship.

You're finally on the back deck sailing away... the HalCats play 5-6 songs to prime the pump and get you in the cruise mode.

For once I agree with you... Oh Oh... Something is wrong with this picture:D:D

Seriously though, I agree with you 100%.

Joanie

I couldn't agree with you more.:cool:

This thread has way too many Simon Cowells.

Only two HAL cruises so far but on both the lead singer was screeching not singing. I can deal with screeching in certain cirumstances - I like Dead Sara's "Weatherman" and my mom insists that is screeching. Since the HAL Cats play mostly 50s/60s/70s music and not 2012 alternative rock, I expect the singer to be a bit more melodious.

This last cruise they were horrible. Off pitch, LOUD- so very bad. However, on my 2007 Noordam cruise Jessie (...and the HAL Cats) was not only from Buffalo but knew my kids and went to high school with the girls next door. Now THAT was a conversation to have as we put all that together! So i have to say she sounded perfect :).

I couldn't agree with you more.:cool:

This thread has way too many Simon Cowells.

That's the beauty of music, one knows when they like it or when they don't, no expertise required. No need to get snooty.

Archived