Why does everyone seem to hate the HAL Cats?

jaguarstyper

We rather enjoyed their music on our Noordam Cruise in February, the music was upbeat and festive. We also did not think they were too loud. But then again neither of us have hearing aids, and do not care for Lawrence Welk "Champagne Music".

A picture of the band from our cruise.

2891511110079335670S600x600Q85.jpg

We rather enjoyed their music on our Noordam Cruise in February, the music was upbeat and festive. We also did not think they were too loud. But then again neither of us have hearing aids, and do not care for Lawrence Welk "Champagne Music".

FYI, to some of us (me), what they sing IS champagne music.

The HAL Cats are just not that good. They're OK, but they play mediocre most of the time. After all, wouldn't you get tired of playing the same schlop everyday to folks who could care less? I mean, how excited could one get when you do the same stuff/different day, week in, week out, for months at a time?

When Karaoke night came, I wanted to dedicate a song to my wife in the audience so I pick out a love ballad "The Lady in Red". Little did I know that they played it up a fourth from the original key because all there charts were written for the female lead singer of the HalCats so my karaoke version of it was way too hard to sing for me because it was too high. They told me that just as they started the song and I was left hung out to dry.

Now in fairness, compared to the house band that was on the Sapphire Princess the summer of 2010, the Hal Cats were like the Boston Pops. The Princess band was terrible.

Just in case anyone wants to know, I'm a professional musician and have been involved in the performing arts for over 40 years.

With your extensive musical background...I'm sure you're aware that HAL isn't going to be booking Barbra Streisand or Celine Dion any time soon. It's a mass market cruise line with a boatload of "Schlops" (your word)

We don't 'hate' the HAL Cats,,,,, we just avoid them totally.

There is nothing entertaining or enjoyable about listening to that blasting loud noise.

Wherever they are, we run away. That is not my idea of entertainment.

I know for sure we are not the only ones who avoid them..... all combinations of them on all the ships.

Would be great start to improve them by providing decent sound systems. rolleyes:

One of my favorite memories from my recent trip on the Maasdam was listening to Lynn and the HALCATS. I thoroughly enjoyed their choice of music and found them to be very talented. Admittedly, because of the acoustics around the Lido pool the sound was not as clear (both talking and singing the words could be difficult to decifer but then the Lido was not designed primarily as a music outlet). However, in the showroom, the quality of sound was excellent and we were very impressed with the band's ability to adapt to the various styles of the different entertainers. Lynn was a very good singer and I am sorry to see so many negative comments about such hard working individuals. It's really not fair to lump all the HALCAT bands and singers into one pile as there are obviously lots of different bands on all the HAL ships and the bands themselves morph continuously as different band members come and go.

I am so glad to read your comment. We just got off a ten day on the Maasdam and the HALCATS were fantastic. I agree with everything you said. The shows were by far the best I have even seen on a cruise. The talent was superior. Yes sometimes they were load at the Lido but so is every other band that I have heard. Thank you for you positive comment.

We were on the same cruise and were not impressed. The playlist was okay, good variety. The singer was just okay, the musicians were pretty good, but way too loud. Our group had to move away anytime they set up near us. No hearing aids for any of us either. We did talk to one of the sound techs about it, and he kinda blew us off. (our younger son is a musician, and is also trained as a sound engineer, so we've picked up some stuff by osmosis)

Aren't The HAL CATS just a generic name for the house band? Different performers on all cruises.On our last cruise Westerdam 3/11 the singer appeared to be new and had to look at the words,then she got sick and was replaced by one of the bartenders who blew her away.LOL Don't mind loud as long as they can keep up with the band and know the words.

You are absolutely correct. There is no 'one singular' HAL Cat band, so the quality (and noise level) will vary greatly from one ship to the next, and even within that ship from time to time. Members get rotated in from time to time and one musician may not have the same talent level as the previous member. For me, I don't think the noise level is all that loud. But I'm able to sense when musicians are just 'going through the motions' and when they really put their all into it. I don't go on cruises for the entertainment, as I get my fill of that in my own musical endeavors, but it still is nice to hear top notch music and while the HAL Cats don't do that for me, they nonetheless fill a need of having a live band play at different places and times throughout the week. There is something about live music that just can't be replaced by a DJ shuffling MP3 files, so even though I'm critical of them here (this is Cruise Critic, isn't it?) I appreciate what they bring to the journey.

On another note (no pun intended) I thought the big shows in the theater at night were stellar, especially Cantare.

With your extensive musical background...I'm sure you're aware that HAL isn't going to be booking Barbra Streisand or Celine Dion any time soon. It's a mass market cruise line with a boatload of "Schlops" (your word)

You misunderstood me. The 'Schlop' I referred to are the same old songs played over and over again. I wasn't referring to the passengers of which I am one. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that.

You misunderstood me. The 'Schlop' I referred to are the same old songs played over and over again. I wasn't referring to the passengers of which I am one. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that.

:):):) good answer. Your post was very clear IMO:)

While I'm not really old or young (48) I found my one cruise with the HAL Cats to be one too many. Yes, they were loud. But I like a good, loud band. The operative word being good. Nope, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I just now what I like and I didn't like our version of the HAL Cats on the N.A. in January.

It is a fairly easy problem to resolve. If you don't like the HALCATs (or the magician for that matter), just go someone else on the ship.

Your post makes the most sense. Unfortunately there were those who left to sit on the promenade deck, but there were only chairs outside of the Lanai cabins... And they were reserved:rolleyes:

I rarely post and only competed our second cruise two weeks ago (Eurodam). But I read the boards several times per day and this topic made me come out of lurkdom.

For the record, my husband and I are huge fans of nearly all music (except rap and country) and play a number of instruments. We have season tickets to the Metropolitan Opera (cheap seats!) and have been known to frequent heavy metal concerts. Our tastes are varied and we are fairly young (37). My brother and his sister are professional musicians and we especially appreciate live performances.

Our two experiences with the HALCats were dreadful. Bad enough I commenented on both surveys. Back-up band pretty decent, arrangements cheesy and singers awful. I wished they screetched. Both were horribly out of tune and almost downright obnoxious. Other than that we had a marvelous cruise and gave everything else on the survey "9's."

An actual conversation we had at HMC while enjoying the warm water.

Me: "There goes our peace. The HALCats have started."

Husband: "Ugh. Why do they call them the HALCats?"

Me: "No idea. I think Cats, like Cool Cat. Which is weird because cats aren't even nautical."

Husband: "They should call them the HALCods, because they have that much appeal."

Well, there you have it. My one complaint on what we consider a nearly perfect cruiseline for our style of travel. Still won't keep me away - the guitarist was fantastic!

I am so glad to read your comment. We just got off a ten day on the Maasdam and the HALCATS were fantastic. I agree with everything you said. The shows were by far the best I have even seen on a cruise. The talent was superior. Yes sometimes they were load at the Lido but so is every other band that I have heard. Thank you for you positive comment.

Quote from Hobartsparents:

One of my favorite memories from my recent trip on the Maasdam was listening to Lynn and the HALCATS. I thoroughly enjoyed their choice of music and found them to be very talented. Admittedly, because of the acoustics around the Lido pool the sound was not as clear (both talking and singing the words could be difficult to decifer but then the Lido was not designed primarily as a music outlet). However, in the showroom, the quality of sound was excellent and we were very impressed with the band's ability to adapt to the various styles of the different entertainers. Lynn was a very good singer and I am sorry to see so many negative comments about such hard working individuals. It's really not fair to lump all the HALCAT bands and singers into one pile as there are obviously lots of different bands on all the HAL ships and the bands themselves morph continuously as different band members come and go.

We agree with both posters above. The lead singer with Amanda and the HalCats on the Zuiderdam last fall was often off-key. Lynn and the HALCats on the Maasdam were the best we have heard. Very good musicians and the lead singer was good too. Volume does not bother us if we are not sitting too close.

I enjoy the HAL CATS. we all do not like the same type of music. I think HAL offers something for everyone.

when I don't care for a particular group I leave and move on to a different area. that is the beaty of a cruise. Many choices in acompact area easy to reach.

• 5 months later...

hi there everyone,

I normally never get into forums and posting etc....but reading all of your threads and posts made me have to write something.

I currently work for Holland America as a HalCats singer and believe me, most of your concerns and comments I do feel your pain and can sympathize. Pretty much all of your complaints can be explained by funds....first off they do not pay any of the HalCats (or singer) enough money, so therefore you get less than average musicians and or singers. I work on one of Hollands Ships and not to toot my own horn but I'm good and know how to do my job. I have been told by many guests and co-workers that they aren't used to working with a good singer in the HalCats, so unfortunately that is why. Another thing, we never get a single day off, so thats probably why most of the HalCats you have seen sucked, because the company has sucked all the life and energy out of them. They never have a day off, they are overworked and under compensated.

Also, rather than blaming the singer and or band for the crappy song selection and noise, please blame Holland America's corporate department who creates the only charts we are allowed to use and perform out of. Corporate are the ones who make us do theme nights that are so out of touch from the demographic of the cruisers. Currently, we do a theme night of "Today's hits" (which includes Lady Gaga and Katy Perry) for our cruisers who here average a low age of 65. I would feel the same way most of you do, It doesn't make any sense; but I am just trying to put things in perspective.

It's really easy to cast your judgements on the other HalCat bands you've seen but I thought I would give you another side of things to think about and ponder.

Everyone here thinks they know what they are talking about, they know their son or daughter who are musicians etc...well next time you start badmouthing a live performance just remember that these cruise musicians are employed steadily which is something that most of the musicians you all know aren't.

One thing is for damn sure, I wont be coming back to Holland America and neither is my boyfriend. The treatment, pay and lack of motivation here is just beyond me.

hi there everyone,

I normally never get into forums and posting etc....but reading all of your threads and posts made me have to write something.

I currently work for Holland America as a HalCats singer and believe me, most of your concerns and comments I do feel your pain and can sympathize. Pretty much all of your complaints can be explained by funds....first off they do not pay any of the HalCats (or singer) enough money, so therefore you get less than average musicians and or singers. I work on one of Hollands Ships and not to toot my own horn but I'm good and know how to do my job. I have been told by many guests and co-workers that they aren't used to working with a good singer in the HalCats, so unfortunately that is why. Another thing, we never get a single day off, so thats probably why most of the HalCats you have seen sucked, because the company has sucked all the life and energy out of them. They never have a day off, they are overworked and under compensated.

Also, rather than blaming the singer and or band for the crappy song selection and noise, please blame Holland America's corporate department who creates the only charts we are allowed to use and perform out of. Corporate are the ones who make us do theme nights that are so out of touch from the demographic of the cruisers. Currently, we do a theme night of "Today's hits" (which includes Lady Gaga and Katy Perry) for our cruisers who here average a low age of 65. I would feel the same way most of you do, It doesn't make any sense; but I am just trying to put things in perspective.

It's really easy to cast your judgements on the other HalCat bands you've seen but I thought I would give you another side of things to think about and ponder.

Everyone here thinks they know what they are talking about, they know their son or daughter who are musicians etc...well next time you start badmouthing a live performance just remember that these cruise musicians are employed steadily which is something that most of the musicians you all know aren't.

One thing is for damn sure, I wont be coming back to Holland America and neither is my boyfriend. The treatment, pay and lack of motivation here is just beyond me.

If the pay is so poor, why do you work for HAL. Can you not get employment in your home town/city with better pay? Believe me if the HAL Cats that I have heard were to entertain in our crappiest of bars they would only last one night. Sorry.

We are young, we listen to Metal, Classic Rock and Classic Metal, so you can imagine that loud music does not bother us.

That being said, in the way the HAL cats are loud, it REALLY bothers us.

Id take anything, even Jimmy Buffet over the loud screechy-ness of the HAL cats. Whenever they start to wail and wine, we find somewhere else to go.

We like all kinds of music, even classical, so we can always find a place to go onboard.

Its hard to explain, but loud and screechy is the best way to put it. We try and always get the farthest away from them at HMC.

All times we have heard them it has been in the Lido & HMC. Maybe that explains it?

Horrible.

Well that does give a different perspective I suppose but doesn't really change the fact that I avoid the HAL Cats. I am not judging the musicians I just don't like super load music that is not performed very well.

We thought the musicians were pretty talented on the HAL cruises we have been on. We only heard them by the Lido pool and the music does add to the fun and relaxed atmoshere of Caribbean cruises.

My only complaint is when the lead singer wants to interact with the audience, expecting feedback or asking questions between songs. Often, the singer seems upset that people aren't responding and gets annoyed. Then I get annoyed, lol.

Most people enjoy the music by the pool as backround music. Many people are relaxing in the sun, reading, dozing, chatting or just zoning out. Please don't expect us to focus on chatter from the lead singer, and please don't take it as an insult when there isn't a lot of 'participation' from us.

Archived