Do you use a list when you pack?

pampaul

I also am not one for overpacking and I pack my bags the night before I leave.

Oh, I do that too. People think I'm nuts for waiting till the last minute! My parents, when they cruise, pack like a week in advance. So, naturally, I think they're nuts :p

No lists for us. However I do confess that we have a bag that we only use for cruising that always has things like over the counter meds, cuff links and shirt studs, power strip, shot glass, bottle opener/cork screw and a like.

List maker here. I find it helps me to organize our bags and keeps the weight for flying down and we have never had to pay extra. I too, group according to categories, and print 2 copiesof my lists so packing to return home is easier and I don't forget anything important. I loved the idea of listing day- by-day and being able to co-ordinate easily. We have become very light packers ove the years and either use ship laundromats, or have clothing that we can wash and dry in our bathroom. saves hassles.

Ciao,

Nikki

Personally I would do fine without a list:D....but DH and DD(15) would over pack and DS(17) would underpack. They need me to make a list and even then they sometimes ignore me and I have to say "I told you so" when they either come home a suitcase of clean clothes (DD and DH) or run short during the trip (DS) :rolleyes:.

I am a MAJOR list maker and make one for each family member.DH OTOH is a pack at 2am for an 8am flight kinda guy. Always make a list but then he modifies it. DD & DS have learned to appreciate the list--DS the hard way. On a beach trip, he was given his list and started packing but stopped midway and did not return to the list. Got to the beach with ZERO shirts, no flip flops and no toilettries. :rolleyes:

We have not made lists for the past ten years, and we also pack different bags to visit our 'kids', while in the area.

The only 'mistake' that we made was to take 5 tubes of toothpaste on one cruise.:)

john

Nope, no lists here. Heck, I don't think we even made a list of things to take when we came to Australia.

I have a travel folder. In it I have print-outs of important documents (motel confirmation, cruise docs, etc.), passports, etc. I absolutely, positively make sure that folder comes with us. We don't leave the driveway unless I see that folder, and make sure the passports are still in it.

Packing, we wing it a lot. We pack a lot less than we used to; I think we packed much more for our first cruise than we do today (and we have two kids now that we didn't then!). When I'd come back with clothes not even worn, I made a mental note for next time. Now, I do make sure we have a bit extra just in case (only takes one kids getting sick on you/him to go through a change or two of clothes). But we can take one large suitcase, a carry-on sized suitcase and/or overnight bag, laptop bag, stroller, and that'll last us for a week cruise no problem.

Oh, that overnight bag, we pack everything we need in there a night or two beforehand. If we need something but it wasn't in the bag...we'll put it in the bag. And we stay at a motel the night before a cruise, so if we discover we forgot something really urgent, we can buy it before getting on the ship. Though we still managed to forget sunscreen once.

I never made a list until I had to file a claim with an airline for a stolen suitcase. You may recall the picture of the dumpster in south Florida with empty suitcases years ago. Mine was one of those empty suitcases. When a carton of caramel broke over my suitcase in the hole of a plane I had a handy list for the airline to use for reimbursement.

I save all price tags, sales receipts, and have even been known to take a picture of a hand knitted sweater or a needlepoint purse - irreplaceable items.

It's not the easiest thing to do as we also cross pack and getting the DH to pack earlier than midnight the night before we fly is a pain.

I have a general list that I have been using for the last 25 years, that way I don't forget anything.

Now that luggage allowance, when flying, have become more limited. I do give more thought to how many days, how many formal evenings, and how I can mix and match so we don't take so much. But the basic list helps me get started.

I have a travel folder. In it I have print-outs of important documents (motel confirmation, cruise docs, etc.), passports, etc. I absolutely, positively make sure that folder comes with us. We don't leave the driveway unless I see that folder, and make sure the passports are still in it.

That's what we do as well, everything but everything is in a 3 ring binder and all of it has also been transfered to a laptop that we travel with. Having the information in the binder sure quiets any arguments that may arise.

No packing list (another fella) but when packing I work from shoes upwards, it has never failed. I do use a house shutdown checklist however, and make my wife acknowledge that the cooker and other electrics have been shut off to save panics halfway to the port or airport.

I use a standard packing list I keep on my computer. Since we keep the carry on toiletry bag packed all the time, I just go through it and refill before a trip. But, the list does serve as a reminder for things I may have run out of and discarded the last trip. That bag takes longer than the clothing bag, I swear I used to spend a couple hours on it and then have to go shopping for little things I needed. Keeping it packed and ready saves so much time and effort, we need the same items whether we're gone over night or 3 weeks. I have all our tools (makeup/razors/hairbrushes/toothbrushes, etc...) duplicated. It helps when coming home as well, not a bunch of stuff to reorganize back into home life.

My clothing list is more like: 3 pair of pants, 2 pair of shorts, tops to go with...I don't obsess over the details until it's time to get clothing out of the closet to pack. I do pack from the shoes up to eliminate taking too many pair.

Our last cruise we ended up having a couple shirts/tops that were clean (didn't change first night dinner, went to the pizzaria another night), but our toiletry/OTC meds list, everything we took we used and we weren't missing anything.

Just wondering how many people use a list when they pack for vacation? Or do you just wing it?

I am a fanatic when it comes to making lists. I make a list for everything!!! Hubby always makes fun of me.

We've been on 5 cruises so far with 2 more booked for this summer. Anyhow, each and every time that it's vacation time (whether it's for a cruise, Disney or any vacation, I always stress out when making a packing list.

To me cruise packing requires much more planning, though. I mean you have you regular everyday clothes, dressier clothes, beach clothes, etc. And each year I write out a packing list for each of us (4 of us). Hubby's suitcase is always the worst. Some days he wants a t-shirt during the day, while other days he wants a sleeveless shirt. At night, he might want to wear a Hawaiian shirt but sometimes a regular button down shirt. But yet, he won't tell me how many of each he wants. Drive me bananas.

Anyhow, my plan for today is to make a main packing list for each of us and save it on the computer. That way each time we travel, I can just pull it up and make changes accordingly.

What about you? Do you drive yourself crazy with a list or are you the type to just throw stuff in a bag and go?

For you list types -- I guess I'm on of you -- I found a couple of threads on what people recommend cruisers bring along. Not all suggestions are good -- some items, like irons, are prohibited (and too heavy and bulky anyway) -- but there are plenty of them. Pick and choose carefully. Here are the threads; they'll keep you busy reading for awhile:

items we found very useful to take with us. - Cruise Critic Message ...

Originally Posted by LeeOne View Post. Understand what you are saying, but used wisely I cannot see an issue. two or three items of clothing ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28734726

Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies.... - Page 24 - Cruise Critic ...

Feb 24, 2012 ... Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies.... First Time Cruisers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32579049

Nope, no list for me. Unless I'm really tired when packing (I always pack the night before), then sometimes I'll sit and jot down all the electronics, cords, etc. that I want to make sure I bring. But for clothes I just count out the number of days and make piles on the bed before packing and then bargain myself down to the amount of clothes (and shoes) that will fit in my carry on. I always travel in a carry on so I'm pretty good by now at knowing how much will fit. Usually the shoes give me the biggest headache as I always want more of those than will fit. Most of my clothes match each other so I don't have any sort of issues with coordinating. And I don't really do accessories, so I suppose that makes it easier. Depending on how long a trip, the whole process takes about an hour (longer if I'm stocking up on e-books!).

For me, I think I try to approach packing as relaxed as possible because I have memories of my mother's insane approach to packing for family vacations. It took her a full day and you had to steer clear of packing headquarters or risk getting your head taken off, lol.

OK . . . here goes . . . confessions of a list maker! A list for everything - check! A little OCD - check! Lots of fun doing it - check! My process is #1 it helps me pass the time until the trip actually arrives and #2 it lets me sleep at night by getting all of this stufff out of my head! :)

I always start by figuring out the weather and what are we doing! (Like this June sightseeing in China) Then I decide will it be cool, in between or warm clothes? Next I choose a color scheme. (China will be navy and white with touches of yellow and green.) THEN I make my list . . . which in turn helps me decide what I still have to buy (2 T shirts and some camis are still required.) Finally, I set up a staging area in the guest room and I start adding things from the list as I launder or dry clean or buy, checking things off as I go! When the list is all crossed off, I am ready to pack! Like I said, a little OCD but it works!

One of the thrills of cruising for me is the planning - and that means lists. I have mine on a spreadsheet, each person has their own tab.

I also have a list of what we will wear each day. The laptop travels with us so there's never an issue. My list makes sure I don't over or under pack and allows me to plan to wear some pieces more than once and allow enough time for laundry to be done on the ship.

About a month before the trip I'll go through all the clothes we'll be taking. Have them cleaned & pressed, and hanging in garment bags in a spare bedroom closet. The garment bag is marked with which suitcase the clothes will go in.

That way, my husband and I have clothes for the day together, so if a suitcase is lost we still have clothes. Plus, the list is available as to what was in the lost suitcase.

• 1 month later...

I am a list maker. But I don't make a list of which outfit I'm going to wear everyday... I certainly make sure that all of my clothes go together and match...that way I can mix-n-match almost anything I have in my suitcase depending on the weather/situation/mood etc...

The older we get, the more lists we need. Lately it seems like I need a list of what I want to do when I walk into another room - otherwise I've forgotten by the time I get there!

We've had a travel checklist for many years - things to do before leaving on any trip. Not everything applies to each trip, but it's quick to check: check car tires/oil; print boarding pass or other reservations paperwork; stop newspaper & mail (or arrange pickup); turn off or adjust heat/air conditioning; check backyard sprinklers/timers; clean out refrigerator; run gargage disposal and take out trash; notify family/neighbors of plans; pre-pay any bills if necessary; ....etc.

Then there's the master packing list that includes things other than clothes: paperwork for trip, maps, medications, travel umbrella, camera, Kindle, chargers for all electronics, travel clock, etc.

The final list is clothing. DW lists her complete outfits for day and night, categorized by "formal", "smart casual", or "daytime casual", though doesn't go so far as to specify which is for which day. She makes sure to include at least one outfit for weather surprises. She doesn't make a list for me, but makes me lay out what I plan to take on the bed and work through what will work for what occasion.

We both enjoy all the planning that leads up to a trip, including the list making, and find that the lists eliminate most of the last minute stress and panic about forgetting something.

OP here. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who uses lists. I love making them. I save mine in a word document and print them out when our vacation is near. That way I go over them and see if there's anything I need to pick up before we leave. I actually printed our lists out today and got our "essentials" bag pretty much packed (HBA stuff, extra glasses, etc)

19 days and counting!!!

Archived