One for the 'Ship Spotters'

BigKeith

Not sure how many people on here are 'Ship Spotters' like me who note all the ships they've seen and/or been on and tick them off a checklist. But, what will you be doing when the Destiny becomes Sunshine?

My logic is placed on precedence. The Fantasy class ships I sailed on and saw before they were renamed (Fantasy to Carnival Fantasy) are still down on my list and classed as seen/sailed on. So therefore I can say I've sailed the Carnival Sunshine after the dry dock, although it would also be nice to see her.

Anyone else debating this one?

Big Keith

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. If I sailed on a ship under a particular name, I would list it in my sailing log under the name she had when I sailed. As an example, if I had sailed the France in the 1960's she would be listed as the France - I wouldn't have sailed the Norway, since the Norway didn't exist at that time. However, if I sailed a re-named ship, you can acknowledge the ship's history. Most ship historians give ships (a) and (b) names and list them that way. In the case of Sunshine, I would list her as (b) Carnival Sunshine and (a) Carnival Destiny. Fantasy would be (b) Carnival Fantasy and (a) Fantasy.

OP, can you explain a little more?:)

My current lists say

Carnival Destiny Sailed <tick> Seen <tick>

Will this be still true when she is renamed Carnival Sunshine or will that have to be added?

My current lists say

Will this be still true when she is renamed Carnival Sunshine or will that have to be added?

Carnival Destiny Sailed <tick> Seen <tick> RENAMED Carnival Sunshine (5/20/12)

Is what I would do, if it were my list.

Same ship even after it is redone. Name change doesn't mean anything to me. I got married and changed my name but I'm still the same person.

But in this case it won't be the same ship since they are adding cabins and reconfiguring public spaces.

To the OP, to me it would be like cruising on a new class of ship, so I would have an entry as the Destiny and then one for the Sunshine.

I think much more of a problem would be listing the ships that have had the major 2.0 redesigns.......unlike the Sunshine the essential layout of the Liberty is the same, but how the public spaces are being repurposed is significant.

So when the Conquest gets the 2.0 upgrades later this year my history will show

Conquest 8X

Conquest 2.0 1X

or if I wanted to get even more detailed it could read:

Conquest 4X

Conquest WW (water works) 4X

Conquest 2.0 1X

But in this case it won't be the same ship since they are adding cabins and reconfiguring public spaces.

To the OP, to me it would be like cruising on a new class of ship, so I would have an entry as the Destiny and then one for the Sunshine.

I think much more of a problem would be listing the ships that have had the major 2.0 redesigns.......unlike the Sunshine the essential layout of the Liberty is the same, but how the public spaces are being repurposed is significant.

So when the Conquest gets the 2.0 upgrades later this year my history will show

Conquest 8X

Conquest 2.0 1X

or if I wanted to get even more detailed it could read:

Conquest 4X

Conquest WW (water works) 4X

Conquest 2.0 1X

Its difficult one, it wasn't necessarily regarding returns but the name change.

"Hey, Big Keith, have you ever been on the Carnival Sunshine?"

"no but Ive been on the Carnival Destiny" :confused:

It's a hard one

Well, Carnival has them both listed on their site as separate ships. So, I guess I would just add Carnival Sunshine to my list.

Edited: Which makes me sad because along with the Carnivale and the Festivale, I can now add the Destiny to a ship I won't sail on. (technically)

My current lists say

It would STILL be true that you had sailed the DESTINY, but not true unless you sailed her as the SUNSHINE. The FRANCE/NORWAY post would be an excellent example.

Not sure how many people on here are 'Ship Spotters' like me who note all the ships they've seen and/or been on and tick them off a checklist. But, what will you be doing when the Destiny becomes Sunshine?

My logic is placed on precedence. The Fantasy class ships I sailed on and saw before they were renamed (Fantasy to Carnival Fantasy) are still down on my list and classed as seen/sailed on. So therefore I can say I've sailed the Carnival Sunshine after the dry dock, although it would also be nice to see her.

Anyone else debating this one?

Big Keith

nope. if the name changes, it gets ticked under the new name. there are 3 ships that i've been on that sail as something different, but i continue to refer to them as their name as it was when i sailed.

and even though they changed everyone's horoscope signs, i also continue to refer to the one it was, the date i was born.

so simple.

Archived